Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
New Camper

I have been looking at a Zinger 23FB at a local dealer. Is it possible to full time in this trailer?

Unfortunately I have limited budget and I know this is entry level.

jam937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Well there are a few things going for you in a Zinger. One is the framing, they use real plywood, rugged stick-n-tin construction, and a walk-on roof. So the unit should hold up well with use. The second is the warranty, CR is very good covering product defects in the two year warranty.

Now some bad news, the unit will be comfortable in moderate weather but I would stay clear of extended freezing weather with the Zinger. The other hinderance is the furnishings/carpet may not hold up to heavy use.

Also, the general size of the unit may be of concern. The 23FB may have a hard time swallowing all the gear you need to "live" in a unit full-time.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for info. It would be just me and a dog. I want to keep on the smaller end of trailers and know storage is limited. I know wear and tear will be an issue with any entry level trailer.

I don't pan to stay in freezing weather, but would like to stay in Southern Ohio until end of November. Typical lows at night are 34 but sometimes go lower. Usually always warms up during the day. The literature says R-7 insulation that can be upgraded to R-14 in roof. Plus an option for an insulated and enclosed underbelly. Not sure if underbelly is heated though.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I havet a 30 ft Zinger 5er and you can stay in comfort with 2 1500 watt heaters. little more expence then a better insulated camper. I have stayed in temps down to 18 degrees. As long as it gets above freezing during the day you sholud be good. Head for warm temps in winter. I think you could full time in a Zinger but the insides will show the years quicker. I ment a woman that has 5 years fulltiming in a entry leval. I don't know what kind of camper but it had lizards and frogs painted all over the outside.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

If you are full timing, underbelly wrap would be a must-have option. We're in NE Ohio, and with temps this past weekend in the 50's/60's, floor was cold.
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Our Zingerhas the underbelly wrap. We camped in feb in NC. Not as cold as up north but 50's during day and 30's at night. It was only for the weekend (and our maiden voyage) but the trailer held up well in the cold. What we noticed was it would get cold, the furnace would kick in and make it really warm. Then the furnace would shut off, wait until it got chilly and then kick in again. As far as holding up... we have had a few things repaired under warranty already, 1 was a hole in the carpet near the slide. Another was the awning, it has to be jiggled and fiddled with to get the pins snapped into place. Crossroads covered warranty repairs no problem. We have new carpet now (only 3 nights camped on new carpet so far but we had the hole by 2 nights camped previously). The awning was supposedly repaired but it still does the same thing on the arm closest to the front. I love my zinger but am not sure about how it will hold up to fulltiming.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

anaro put in a digital thermostat by hunter. Best mod you will ever do for heat or air.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

cwit, does the Hunter thermostat stop the hot/cold spells better than the thermostat that Crossroads installs. I notice the same thing that anaro does, my thermostat doesn't kick in until I feel quite cold and then it seems to go until I am roasting before it cuts out. Where would I buy one, any idea how much they cost and is it a big job?
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
About $25 and 30 minutes. There are a few threads in the history for this install. There is also a Dometic digital thermostat installed on newer units, works quite nice.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #10
New Camper

anaro- do you have the upgraded insulation or just the enclosed underbelly?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
About $25 and 30 minutes. There are a few threads in the history for this install. There is also a Dometic digital thermostat installed on newer units, works quite nice.
I have the dometic digital thermostat (I think... it says dometic and the numbers are digital but it is the standard push the button for fan, ac, heat and push buttons to adjust temp up/down.)

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam937
anaro- do you have the upgraded insulation or just the enclosed underbelly?

Sadly not sure but I think it is listed as heated enclosed underbelly. How do I figure that out?

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 05-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
New Camper

anaro - upgraded insulation would be in the roof. Going from R7 to R14 I think in the 23FB. Its like $200-300 option when ordered from factory.It has nothing to do with underbelly.

I wish there was a thermal/double pane window option
Old 05-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

jam937- we bought ours off the lot. I wish these things came w/ a window sticker like new cars do that list every option. We were so worried about having an enclosed underbelly we never even thought about upgraded insulation. So I guess next time I am out at the trailer, I will have to poke around through my manuals etc that I got from the dealer (all the stuff we got from them is kept in the TT for convient use on the road) and try to figure it out. I am guessing that since we don't know, we probably don't have it.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

You could probably call the factory with the vin number and they could tell you exactly how the unit was built. Just a thought.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote