Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 12:11 AM   #1
New Camper

Question Help, Sunset Trail SS291RK defects

Hey guys, I'm brand new on here and urgently seeking your help.
I'm about to spend a small fortune on a Sunset trail SS291RK which will be a permanent home. I'm so excited about my potential acquisition but also nervous as hell...hence my post! Can anybody offer any advice, tips, feedback or anything helpful and constructive as to whether it is a good choice. Are there any defects I should be aware of? Any potential problems in the foreseeable future? All comments greatly appreciated as I certainly don't want to chuck money at a leaking, rust bucket. Thanks in advance
confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
Site Team

You can get many different answers and opinion here. Some have good luck with their rig, others have problems.
I guess my biggest concern for you would be the part about that camper being your permanent home. If you are planning to live in it up north where you are, I think that is not a good idea. These campers will not be good at all in the winter. For one thing when it gets zero and below, you won't be able to keep it warm. I think the walls inside will be solid frost.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Just a few questions.

Are you a first time buyer or have you spent time in a camper?
How cold does it get where you plan to park it in the winter?
Will you be a snow bird - winter down south and summer up north?
Does the camper have the winter package?

As to the question of defects - Some have problems but more do not. The ones that dont you never hear from. Also some people will complain about anything.

Future problems - who knows. Alot depends on regular maintenance and up keep. Campers are hand made from many different parts from many different suppliers so anything can go bad at any time but mine is 14 years old and yes i have replaced a few things but nothing major.

I will put this out there my folks wintered in Texas and would pull there camper from Mo each fall but ended up buying a 12x40 mobile home and it worked better for them.Just saying that if you will be in some harsh winters i dont think you will be happy with that camper. Just my opinion.

Feel free to ask more questions as there a lot of knowledgeable folks on here willing to help.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
New Camper

Hey folks, I should have added (and very importantly) that the Northland stated is in fact in New Zealand. I'm very fortunate to live in a warm climate and when winter does kick in, I will head northwards- away from the snow. Apologies for any confusion this may have caused!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
New Camper

Hey dagst, thanks for your comment and I hope you've noticed the comment I just posted. I'm actually in New Zealand where the climate is quite user friendly, especially if like me, you like sun. I will be staying well clear of frosts and snow, I'll be heading for the hills when they arrive!
Old 07-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I just bought that model this year in May, and have about 3 weeks in it. Havent had any issues other than the receptacle where the tv plugs into is big and the plug was hanging loose. Just wiggled it back into place and havent had an issue since.
Wyldink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Potential Problems

Well 1st let me say that I was very surprised to find that you are in NZ and buying an American RV, funny! I would have thought that their would be manufacturers, that are local to the local, and maybe CrossRoads is one of those.

Problems: I had a few that I feel are simply manufacture short comings, and I will speak from the point of view of being a Canadian buying a USA built RV, as 90% of all RV are made in the USA.

1 Tires are cheap,I would expect to replace them within a year to prevent a blow-out on the highway.

2 Tires are under-rated for the weight of the RV, cost saving measure, buy the lowest grade, and rating for the particular model, expect to replace within a year and make sure you replace with tires that are rated for the weight of the unit (Loaded), I blew 2 tires out of 4 replaced with similiar one as I didnt know better and wore those out in about 2 years.

3 Axels are under-rated for the loaded RV weight, mine were barely speced for the un-loaded weight of the trailer. Mine bent and they axel frame shop would NOT attempt a repair as they explained that Lippert Axels, sidewall (on the actual axel tube were very thin and either kinked, or cracked when they had tried repairs. Dexter are much superior axels and can be repaired.

The complete alignment on our axels were so far out that the tires were scrubbing themselves to death on the inside 1/4 of the tread.

Dealer nor manufacturer would do anything which left me with replacing axels which I did and I went for Dexters and the largest rating I could go up without having to change the complete system that the axels mount on.

4 Electric Tongue Jack under-rated, hitch weight is 900 lbs, jack rated at 600, went thru 2 jacks, no warranty, til I finally sourced my own and made sure it is rated for 1100 lbs.

Expect to find things that simply make no sense as far a space utilization goes, ie: sink drains that are routed right in the middle of a cupboard, making the cupboard almost useless. I re-routed ours and installed 3 drawers under the kitchen sink to provide storage space.

Wardrobe closets in the bedroom DARK in the middle of the day, couldn't find anything with out a flashlight, I installed LED light strips on a magnetic reed switch, lights ON with door open, Off with door closed. Same as pantry/ closet by the kitchen.

No reading lamps for each bed, only 1 large lamp in the middle which when reading in bed at night (laying on your back) means you are looking right into a light, also what happen if 1 person want togo to sleep and the other wants to read????

Depending of year of built, I replaced ALL light bulbs in our unit with LED lamps, newer ones may already have this done.

Outside storage cupboards only have 1 light, pretty hard to find things I installed several low profile lamps through-out the cupboard to make finding those weiner roasting sticks easier.

All manufacturers cheap out on EVERYTHING, otherwise they would need to pass the costs on to the buyer and the buyer being cheap, would simply go to the lowest priced unit and a different manufacturer, this is the case for ALL units and manufacturers, even the $500,000 ones, in my opinion having discussions with other RVers.

In any case if you are willing to spend a few $$$ after purchase, within the 1st year all should be well and enjoyable.

Ernesto

2009 and now 2016
F-150 Lariat
2012 Crossroads
Sunset Trail
26BH

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have a 2018 291RK and we have had no problems at all. We have owned it for 2 years.
mrtomallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defects, ss291rk, sunset trail, virgin