Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello Folks,

We have been thinking recently of trading our fifth wheel. We currently pull a Sabre 31 REDS (Palomino) which we have enjoyed very much. Not long ago, we visited a nearby dealer to look at CR's CF335SS - most impressive. The layout seemed very functional and we liked the insulation package. The length and weight seem manageable, although it does raise the tiresome question of tow-ability. We have a 2010 Chevrolet 2500 HD Duramax, whose specifications are outlined below. With a full tank of fuel, two poodles and two adults, the truck weighs in at approximately 7800 pounds. The question of course is; can I tow the CF335SS safely and with confidence?

I was wondering also if people found the bedroom somewhat cramped given the positioning of the stairs.

Lastly I would appreciate any comments on the general build quality of the unit.

Thanks so much

Jim Rhodes
Kingston, Ontario. Canada.

2010 Chevrolet 2500 HD - Duramax
GVWR = 9,200 pounds
GAWR - front = 4,860 pounds
GAWR - rear = 6,084 pounds
Pin Capacity = 2,500 pounds
Max. Trailering Capacity = 13,900 pounds
GCWR = 22,000 pounds
Payload = approx. 2900 pounds
Ramblingrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You should be fine, ,George Ball has that unit and will more than likely chime in here

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

As Frank said we have that same floor plan and really do like it. This floor plan does not have any chairs in the bedroom. The bedroom is not large enough for chairs. One thing that we did do was swap places with the couch and chairs in the living area. This makes for a much better arrangement for watching TV. Although we have had some issues I am very pleased with the quality of our unit. I also converted half of the entry closet into a pantry.

Other than struggling a little while towing in the Rocky Mountains I have not had any problems pulling the trailer with my truck.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Just picked a 335ss last month. love the layout.
Gball, great ideal to swap sofa and chairs, think we'll try it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Mark5w:

On our unit the two slides are not equal distance from the real wall so we had to slide the couch all the way to the living room side in order for the slide to clear when bringing in the slide. The distance from the back wall to the kitchen slide is 33". It is 34" on the living room side. The extra inch gave us the needed room to move the couch to the area where the chairs were. I put the little plastic furniture slides under the legs of the couch to make it easier to move around. You also need to put a shim or large door stop on each end of the front of the couch to keep it from moving around. In our case it also keeps the storage drawer from coming out while the trailer is moving. If you don't have the storage drawer you could use a strap.

I think that you will enjoy the new arrangement. If the couch is too wide for the area and the slides won't clear just put furniture slides on the legs of the chairs also. It takes about 5 minutes to make the switch. We did this until we discovered that the living room slide would clear the couch if it was moved to that side.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

The 2500HD will pull it without any problems. I thought the 2500HD duramax fifth wheel towing capacity is closer to 15,000 lbs.

The pin weight of the CF335SS is about 2000 to 2100 lbs. The 7800 lbs you have now plus the pin weight will bring you close to 10,000 lbs.

I would add air bags, 265 tires if you have 245's . That is what I did to a 2004 2500HD duramax/allison. The 2010 is "more truck" than my 2004 was. The air bags and tires don't increase the "official" rating of the truck. The larger tires will increase the tire load capacity by about 400 lbs/tire. The air bags will improve the ride and level out the truck.

I had a 2005 3500HD D/A and the only difference (2500HD Vs 3500HD) was a set of overload springs and 265 tires - GVWR was 9900 lbs. In 2005 GM used steel wheels too on the 3500HDs. Air bags are better than the overload springs.

Of the fifth wheels I have owned the CF335SS seems to be balanced well - tows nicer than a 2004 Everest (32 foot) we owned and the Montana Mountainier tow hauler (37 foot) we owned. Pin weight on the CF335SS is less too.

As far as quality - they have fixed the bed/wardrobe slide design - added rollers under the bed. Maybe they have improved the bed attachment to the wall.

The layout of the CF335SS sold us on it. We like the wide entry to the bedroom area. The curvature of the front of the trailer impacts the head room - we are short so it does not bother us.

We added a fantastic fan to the bedroom instead of a second AC unit. The fan is multi-speed and allows for flow in or out. Also added slide toppers to the three slides.

So about the sofa folks:

Moving the sofa sounds like a good idea - I never took any measurements to see if it would fit where the chairs are. The slides must just clear the front of the sofa.

Do you have the hide-a-bed sofa?

The chairs are normally turned back to back and strapped in. What do you do to keep them from moving around when they sit on the "dinette slide".

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Bob:

The living room slide just clears the front of the couch about a quarter of an inch which is plenty. As long as it isn't real tight you should be fine. I moved the straps that hold down the chairs from where they were originally installed over to the area where the chairs now are. Works great and since we now have recliners I don't turn them back to back, just push them together and strap them down. We have the sofa that has the pullout storage drawer that contains the blowup mattress and pump and lots of other good stuff. Even if your couch is too deep for the slide to clear you can still switch the furniture around. It only takes a few minutes to do so and we did this in the beginning. I can send you pictures if you would like.