Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
max
Weekend Camper

First off as my sig says I am new at this, it will me my first TT.

We made an offer Sunday afternoon during a local RV show.

We chose the 2013 26BH based on its smaller/reasonable size/weight, tons of features and our family needs and wants. Love the full coach and bigger dinette and bigger queen bed. Don't need the exterior kitchen and as far as a smaller bathroom, I don't think i will be using it much. It seems better sized for women and kids. We have 3 small kids under 5, so we may need to get larger beds down the road, but it seems roomy for now.

I always thought the extended warranty was for suckers, but it seems there are things that go wrong, and with the RESERVE model everything is electric. Some people love the convenience but it also means more can go wrong. The extended warranty is $2500 and it lasts 7 years, so while it offers a concurrent warranty for the first 2 years it does offer some extras. Is it worth it? I believe Crossroads makes a great product, but I was wondering if its worth it if a slide motor goes. If you claim nothing in 7 years, you get $200 of that back....seems unlikely NOTHING goes wrong in 7 years though no matter hpow good the quality.

Given the fading fibreglass cap issues and the overall look of the trailer over the long term. They are offering a true -coat product that coats the unit and will keep it shiny, easier to clean. I also read about rock chips. I haven't had a chance to ask the dealer if it helps with that yet . Maybe I'd still need to buy #M film for the cap anyway or get a Towtector.

I usually scoff at things like extended warranty and the coating, but since its my first RV I am not sure.

As far as use, it will be mountains and local campgrounds, not much gravel roads, and I don't plan on taking it into the backcountry to hunt.

Any input on the model itself and the warranty/protection would sure be appreciated. We considered the 27BH, but the smaller table, sofa bed and master queen trumped the outside kitchen and top double bunk the 27 BH had.

Papers are not signed yet so we can still make a switcher.

Sorry to ramble.....
Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Site Team

I questioned the value of a extended warranty when I purchased my Crossroads Patriot at he Hershey RV show this past September. What really convinced was looking at all the electronics and electrical components on the new RV. After going back and forth with my wife she reminded about the problems we had to pay out of pocket on our older 5th wheel. Probably set me back 4 grand over the past 7 years. That 5er was not as advanced as our new CR and we finally decided to go with the extended warranty.
On the forum you will find many do not believe in the extended warranty and almost just as many do. On another RV forum I ran a poll asking if you bought a new RV with an extended warranty. The results were 25 yes--26 no.
Always going to be your own choice based on your own experiences or for you on the advice of others along with your feelings about and extended warranties. I also purchased a EW with my new truck. A lot of computer and electronics also.
BTW the warranty I bought was a Good Sams warranty for 7 years. At the show the manufacturer payed $1000 of the total price of $2200.00 as an incentive.

For me it also was a feeling of security.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I think the warranty is going to boil down to how long you will really have the TT. Many who do the extended warranty wait until the end of their factory warranty to get the extended warranty.Double check your factory warranty length because crossroads changed their warranty in 2012. Models manufactured after sept 1, 2012 have the new 1 yr warranty plus 12 point promise instead of the 2 yr limited warranty that was previously offered (for more on this do a search on the boo hiss warranty thread). We have the 2 yr limited warranty that is now expired as of 1 month ago. We do not have the extended warranty. We originally thought we would have this trailer for 10 yrs. nope, we now want a 5er and will probably trade in the next year. In my mind that doesn't make the extended warranty worth it for us.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Site Team

You can cancel the extended warranty and get back a prorated monetary amount on the unused warranty. So fear of loosing all you warranty money is "Not Warranted!)
I did this with my previous EW on my car.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
New Camper

Hi, we just purchased the ST270BH and did purchase the extended warranty. We had a Slingshot that had many issues and were concerned with going back to Crossroads. Now that Crossroads limited their warranty to 1 year and I do plan to keep this camper for a while, we felt it was worth the extra security. My dealer has assured me that they are standing by the Sunset Trail 100% that we will not have the same issues we ran into with the Slingshot. We just went to the camping show yesterday and I have to say, the Sunset Trail by far exceeds many other manufacturers when offering bang for your buck. Many of the other campers we toured felt very cheesy with their couches, cabinets, and storage.
Evan0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to denlor
We bought a Zinger 33fk and the extended warranty. As you will hear from many it may be a cost unjustified but if you have a problem with any of the appliances or slide motors etc. it will soon show it's worth. We had many say no but chose to go this way as we have friends who have used it in the past and are mighty glad the y had it. It is a choice you have to make but in my opinion it is worth it if you have and I am sure you will at sometime have a major problem which could be a large out of pocket cost.
denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Just a heads up when trying to get warranty work done
If your close to where to purchase the camper you will need to make appointment and wait until you can get in. Then you bring it in and then you wait for approval.
Then you wait for parts.
If your not close to where you purchased your camper you must locate a dealer who will service it and some dealers will refuse to service it ether buy making a long wait or offer remote service call which is not covered by the warranty.
Better to save your money and put it way and fix some problems your self and find a independent RV service company. You will have more control of the job because they work directly with you. Don't forget you have to haul the camper back and forth and that cost allot these days. I have a 2011 Crossroads Cruiser 31 RK. Had a few problem right a way and one big one. After running around and lot and many emails and phone calls and finally getting it back half screwed up and not repaired at all. The cost of hauling it back and forth 4 times. the repairs only cost me $1000 to get it fixed by independent RV service company in less time and fixed right in one week not three weeks of dong nothing. Live and learn I guess.
Lebo

Edited by: LeBo
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote