Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
New Camper

My wife and I are driving from Southern California to Chicago to visit my brother in the next two weeks. There is a New 2011 Slingshot 32QB at a dealer in the Michigan area. It is a new unit that was left over. The prodution date was 1/2011. It was on the showroom floor for most of the year and has been on the lot. It is the last 2011 have and is fully loaded. I will be towing this back to Southern California.

I am seriously thinking about buying this because they are letting it go for well under $18,000. I really love this trailer, but here in Southern California, they are asking an arm and leg for 2013s.

I spoke to crossroads and my warranty will start the moment I take delivery.

I need your honest opinion! I know that I should look for leaks, but according to the dealer, they inspect each unit yearly and make sure the seals are good. Should I believe them? They are one of the biggest dealers with multiple dealers in Michigan. What else should I look for? What are the differences between the 2011s, 2012s, and 13s?

I am driving out on Dec. 26.

Thank you,
nguyenbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

What warranty will it have? The official CR statement says the new warranty is based on BUILT date and not SELL date, but you should have in writing for sure which one applies. My biggest concern would be with original tires that are old and have been sitting for a long time and you will be towing a long distance. Make sure you have ins. in force before hitting the road. Then you will need to get warranty work done in So. Cal., I wouldn't be too worried about major items, CR will cover them one way or another. But nit-pick items are another issue, your local dealer many not want to bother, so it is best if you have plenty of time for the PDI in Mich. Maybe you could inspect the unit several days earlier and then go back to close the deal. Second option is to stay in the unit one or two nights so they can fix any issues, but their overnight facilities will probably be limited for the winter.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
New Camper

Yes, I have all the time in the world for the PDI. Yes the tires are a concern, but they said they ny move units often around the lot for new shipments. I am wondering why this is the only new 2011 in the nation or did Ijust fnd a good deal? As for towing it back, yes, it makes me nervous, but I am taking the southern route there and back so should avoid almost all the incliment weather.

I will have insurance in full force with Progressive before I hit the road.

The salesman there made three 10 min. videos for me a took numerous pics for whatever I wanted to see. I also told them that I would not hesistate to walk from the deal when I get there. Im there to visit my brother anyways in Chicago, but the trailer would be a bonus. I got 500.00 down on it and it is refundable.

Where or what should I look for to see signs of damage or repair?

Thank you
Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would check all caulking, look everywhere (in cabinets, floors, walls etc) for signs of delamination and for soft spots all signs of a leak. Crawl up on the roof and check it out carefully. Ask to get new tires in the deal if you can.Do you have a WDH yet? If not get a quality one (like reese dual cam or equal-i-zer) included in the deal. Remember they are desperate to sell this trailer. It is 2 yrs old and sitting on their lot. They are paying taxes on it. Be very very picky. Understand that often trailers are picked up a week after buying so they can do a PDI. Have a plan in place and expect to wait at least a day to get it. Make sure everything works (if it moves or turns on, have it demonstrated to you and you return the demonstration). Videotape your pdi. Good luck!

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

About the tires, since the unit is most likely in S. Mich, it is probably 100-150 miles from the factory, so they have seen few miles and almost no high speed miles. With ST tires do not exceed 65 mph on the long trip home. Same issue with the wheel bearings, ask the dealer to pull the wheels and check the grease and seals, this isn't normally part of a PDI. If you have a TPMS like TST with screw on sensors, that will help monitor both pressure and temps (including wheel bearing and dragging brake shoes).

Since the unit was on display, it has seen a lot of foot traffic, doors and drawers opened and closed. Sometimes things get damaged and the dealer makes repairs. Check operation and alignment of all doors and drawers.

I'm not familiar with the floor plan, but check the slide-outs. Check underneath, make sure the tracks/gears are lubed. If it has the Schwintek mechanism, inspect the four aluminum tracks along the outside of the slide out for wear. Have someone open and close the slide-out while you watch the power cord carrier hinge, these can bind, twist or break.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

nguyenbio,

We purchased a Slingshot that is one year older than yours, coincidently from a dealer some distance away from our home (we were pushed for time and needed a trailer sooner than a local dealer could get one in), so I may be able to give you some pertinent info:

We did an extensive pre-purchase inspection and except for some loose trim, everything looked OK.

Although the first trip was all OK (left two days after we picked it up), over the following few weeks to months, we encountered a number of issues, that are directly related to workmanship and quite a few were not trivial in nature.

Dealing with a dealer out of our area was quite a pain as all issues did not occur nor get identified at the same time. The dealer was as helpful as they could be but some issues required a return trip. Few local dealers were interested in assisting us as they did not sell the trailer.

Prior to making a decision, I suggest you read as many forum entries as you can and do your research to the nth degree. Lately, many new and past purchasers have complained on this forum about problems with their Crossroads trailers and the majority seem to also be related to shoddy workmanship. A number have stated they would not purchase another trailer from Crossroads. I am definitely one of them.

Once again, I can only suggest you do a lot of research and make an informed decision. Don't let a really good price push you to purchase something that will give you problems in the future.

My first question would be - Why did this trailer sit on the lot for so long if these are great trailers? If there is a valid reason, that's one thing. If there is no supported reason, that makes me suspicious, especially considering the history of our (and other's) trailer.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Marv
Marpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
New Camper

Did the slingshot ever have a fiberglass roof? Did they use it on the 2011?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I am relatively sure no CR product has ever used Fiberglass for roofing material. I have only seen this on top-of-the-line models, like DRV, Trilogy, etc.

I could be wrong,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
New Camper

Where in the CR policy does it state that the warranty begins on BUILD date and no on SELL date? I was always under the impression that the day you purchased the unit was the day the warranty kicked in.

TheRV-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Kid,
You are correct, the warranty starts on the day you purchase it. However, the new policy starts with units built after Sept 1, 2012. I have been to my dealers in the past month and he has unit's built prior to Sept 1, those units still carry the old 2 year warranty. They have the 2+5 year warranty seal on the sides. They had to have a starting point so it was based on the build date. So if a unit is built on Oct 1st of 2012 the warranty is 1 year from the date you purchase it. I hope this answers your question.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote