Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello I am new to the Cross Roads name and the cruiser but I love it. We are looking at purchasing a 2012 300ES Sahara and would like to know if the price is right. We have a 27 foot Pilgrim with a bunk house. We no longer need the bunk house and we are looking forward to a future at possible full timing in about 8 years. We camp a lot and are not new to that world and we love it.

Here is the nitty gritty:

300ES Sahara we were quoted 36800.00

Has intelli jacks

Polar tec insulation

Ceiling fan

fire place

LCD TV

7 function key fob

Leather furniture

Safety glass?

2005 pilgrim trade in at 7,000.00

I would love thoughts, comments, and suggestions.

2000 F250@300000 miles

Tent

2001 Coleman Pop up

2005 Pilgrim 5ver

2012 Cruiser Sahara

https://i55.tinypic.com/4rar05.jpg
Camping Flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I'd go with the CF305ES Patriot, it comes with more standard options, &amp; double gel coat fiberglass. The Sahara is a nice color, but is filon fiberglass &amp; you pay more, $1663 msrp, for the same options. JMHO
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I did not look real deep into each and every detail of each coach but did do a search, found mine on sale, then called dealer and specified the features I thought I wanted, pretty much the same as you stated. I reckon it depends on what you want/need and what you'll settle for, then shop around. I was in SC and found mine on sale in NJ, dealer was for the most part above board and helpful. I am more aware now and would ask more intelligent/probing questions and research would be more in detail. However you mayrest assured that Crossroads is quality and stands behind their product, whichever way you go. Just my half a cents worth.
Good luck and safe travels.

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Just adding up the options you listed to the base Sahara package on that floor plan the MSRP would be about $45,750. Take 30% off that price which should be about whereyou could buy it and that is around $32k. I don't know who your dealer is but I think they arehigh at $36,800. As Steve said for the price you were quoted you could get a Patriot 305ES with more options for about the same price or a little less. The Sahara full body color is a very attractive unit but with the sides being Filon instead of Gel Coat it will require a lot of care to keep it looking good. Just my $.02. Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

As Hunter11 stated, the dealer's price is probably too high. It seems to me that he is combining the two deals, i.e., the price of the new unit with the trade in, to make it seem as though you are getting a good deal. In reality it would appear he is taking your used RV for about $1,000.
Go to www.rvwholesalers.com and plug in the specs for the model you want. You will get their price with no obligation or pressure to buy. We did that after shopping locally here in S. Texas. AFTER we had RVW's price the dealer in Buda decided he could lower his price by $7,000. We ordered from RVW and went up there five weeks later when the Cruiser arrived and took delivery. I do not believe RVW accepts trade ins. They are very open and above board in their dealings. We felt as though we needed a shower after leaving the guy near Austin.

Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I see you live in Texas. You might get Vogt in Ft. Worth give you a quote. I purchased from them and they were competitive with the wholesalers up north. By the time I was considering delivery they were a few hundred dollars less on my unit.

2012 Crossroads Cruiser 31QB

B&W Companion Hitch

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

As far as your used 5th wheel. I sold my on Craigslist for quite a bit more than what the dealer offered in trade. Their trade offer will probably be low wholesale but they do not put a lot of overhead in their new sales price.

B&W Companion Hitch

Old 08-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Vogt in Ft. Worth and Topper's out of Waller/Houston both seem to be willing to deal in the 30% off MSRP area.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Well one of our first stops in the looking process was Vogt and we were given a quote of 40,604 for the CF305ES patriot. We thought that was very steep and he let us walk we gave him phone numbers and email addresses and it has been a week and we haven't heard a thing.

2nd question now would be about this filon fiberglass and what is involved with the upkeep.

2000 F250@300000 miles

Tent

2001 Coleman Pop up

2005 Pilgrim 5ver

2012 Cruiser Sahara

Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

You should be able to figure the MSRP for a unit you are looking at with the options it has here on the Crossroads web site. If you can't get 28% to 30% off MSRP move on to another dealer. Tell Vogt you are going to order from RVW if he can't match their price. I would call Topper, it might be worth your drive.

Filon needs to be waxed a couple of times a year to stay looking good as that is what we had on our first Cruiser. Adding the color to it will make it that much tougher if it is going to be sitting out in the sun all the time. The Gel Coat sides do not require as much attention to stay looking good. We were going to purchase a new Sahara once they came out (and added W/D connections which I hear will show up shortly in all the Cruisers) but we were disappointed in the Filon sides and the fact it is now the entry level Cruiser.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:22 AM   #11
Site Team

One of my first jobs when I was a young buck was working in a boat factory. It was a long time ago but as my memory serves me--------gel coat is a combination of the paint used and resin. Paint can be of any color. This combination is sprayed into the mold first, then the cloth and then the mat are added, when the product is removed from the mold the outer surface is nice and smooth and shiny.
Filon doesn't have that application sprayed in the mold, sooo you get to see the fibers and strings of the fiberglass showing thru on the outer surface. This not only makes it rougher, not as smooth and shiny, but it also makes it harder to keep looking good. Anyway that is the way it use to be done. I don't know if things have changed in today's uses or not.
Hope I explained it so that it's understandable.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I am on a research over load but loving the information. I can not find any thing about the cruisers having a Filon coat but I did find that the Sahara has a Lamilux fiberglass exterior. I researched the material and it of course sounds like a good quality material. I will research it further and as always appreciate any feedback.

2000 F250@300000 miles

Tent

2001 Coleman Pop up

2005 Pilgrim 5ver

2012 Cruiser Sahara

Old 08-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Flair

2nd question now would be about this filon fiberglass and what is involved with the upkeep.

Here is a good article on gel coat vs filon.

http://www.carwash.com/detailing/article/boat-and-recreational-vehicle-detailing

I just got back from the factory rally early this month. I took a private tour with Scott one the the salemen, who even stated, it was "filon". I did seethat the Sahara does have "filon fiberglass" or what ever Crossroads now wants to call it. There is nothing wrong with it, &amp; it is a good color, it just doesn't shine like the gel coat. JMHO.Edited by: FFFord
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Ours was a custom order from Vogt. They were not interested in negotiating the price, they did not ask what other were selling for, they quoted it with take it or leave it attitude. They sold mine at 28% off msrp. It was still less than RV Wholesalers and Gillette RV, which were the only other dealers I found wanting to sell at a competitive price. Most of the others wanted another $3,000 or more. I went ahead and put a 2nd a/c on mine. Vogt was about $500 less than my local dealers to install the 2nd a/c.

B&W Companion Hitch

Old 08-21-2011, 02:50 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I think Filon and Lamilux are different materials. Now that you mention the boat aspect which I am very familiar with this campers exterior looks nothing like that of a boat with a gel coat.

I understand completely thanks for your help.

2000 F250@300000 miles

Tent

2001 Coleman Pop up

2005 Pilgrim 5ver

2012 Cruiser Sahara

Old 08-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

If you do end up with a new Cruiser come join us at the Texas Rally in April in Kerrville. You will meet a lot of good folks and have a great time.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, Russ and I find it hard to believe that you were ever a young buck. By the way headed to Lake Geneva the 20th of Sept

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

While the Sahara looks nice, I agree with the suggestion to go with the Patriot model instead. But for a different reason, white will be cooler in Texas. I don't know how much difference because the Sahara was not available when I was looking. But on a different brand, there was a significant difference between white and grey models. I ordered my 32MK thru Toppers RV in Waller and got 32% off MSRP, even Wana RV in Shipshewana, In just a few miles from the factory couldn't beat the price with delivery to Tx. Vogt RV was pretty close, but not in the beginning.

As for your old trailer, post it on Craigslist. I sold my '04 Cruiser in just a few days that way. Take some good pics, research what is a fair price to ask with a little room to negotiate. Spring time is a better time to sell, but you never know what might happen.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
Lloyd, Russ and I find it hard to believe that you were ever a young buck. By the way headed to Lake Geneva the 20th of Sept

Lake Geneva WI. ??? Staying at a campground if so which one?

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Staying at a friends house on the Lake. Spent a lot of my Ill spent youth and young adult hood there. No telling how many gallons of adult beverages we consumed at that time. And wild women we used to chase. Now it is Ice tea time, and go you remember when time. This past year we have lost two of close friends, so is a time to tell lies and be with some friends I have not seen for many years.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote