Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We're planning to negotiate the price of a new ST 20CK on Saturday.

We're also very excited about owning what appears to be a very nice

travel trailer. I learned from the company that their website is very

out of date, so the options available there are not accurate. I

understand that all new trailers include the 'old' Reserve option, so

all of those extra 'nice' features are now included in every trailer.

The company told me that a 20CK with no optional equipment now has an

MSRP of about $27k. Given that MSRP, what can a customer expect to pay?

I know this is not an exact science, but if you purchased recently, what discount did you get from your local dealer?

Any tips, suggestions, on how to negotiate a good deal would be helpful

as well. We have bought 2 prior trailers from our local dealer, they have been great to work with in the past, so we're

hopeful that they'll make us a fair deal. I understand they need a

profit to stay in business, but I also don't want to pay more than I

need to pay.

Thanks

mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Site Team

You will more then likely get all kinds of different % that dealers will be willing to cut off the MFSR. and different ways to go about it.
My suggestion would be for you to shop different dealers for the same exact unit. Then, you can compare apples for apples. I have found that just because we bought one or several units from a dealer didn't necessarily mean he was going to come up with the best deal the next time.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

The challenge that I have is that there are few 20CK models available online. Most people buy larger trailers. None of those online, in the US, have the reserve package included from what I"m able to find.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

When you look at the actual "window sticker" for that trailer, not one the dealer has made up, figure he paid 70% of that. With that in mind you can negotiate away and see how close he will get to ~cost.

Go to;

http://www.seedealercost.com/product...egorySlug/recv

and you can see the list and dealer for all the options and you can add up the ones it has and see what the cost is.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Site Team

It might be a challenge, but it also might be fun. Look up CR dealers around you, even if they are a few more miles away. Once you have seen the model you want, then it's just a matter of going to the different dealers and seeing which one "most" wants to sell you that particular rig. Take some time with it. Don't get in a hurry, and don't be hurried.
The shopping and dealing is part of the fun and suspense. ENJOY!!

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I did contact a couple of online dealers over the past week and got 2 quotes. However, one of the trailers they quoted me was without the Reserve package - must have been older 2012 stock. The second one quoted me with the Reserve option (even though he didn't call it that, it had all the same features), but his price was $10 less than the MSRP price that I got from the company. So I'm suspicious that he didn't know what he was talking about. He seemed a little unsure of himself when we spoke.

I'll consider the 70% of MSRP a good starting point to see what happens. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I agree with Lloyd's (Old Farmer) last sentence. It is part of the fun. I've purchased four trailers new and each was finally discounted at least 30%.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

You can check out rvtrader.com and see what that particular trailer is selling for around the country. That said I think most people expect to pay between 20-30% below MSRP. That said, we paid just about 70% of MSRP as our out the door price w/ tax, tags, title and a brand new reese dual cam WDH installed for us. Some of what you pay depends on time of year, demand, is it last years stock, do they have too many on their lot, show prices etc. We got ours a week after a show (had seen it at the show but weren't ready). We got ours for less than the show price.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I just purchased a unit last week.
If you took the MSRP and added delivery charges and a dealer prep allowance of $100 for full LP tanks, new battery, a dogbone. and a couple gagets accessories I paid exactly 30% off that price.
I am not sure how good of a deal that was, but I was happy with it and that is what counts the most.

Hope that helps.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Sounds like 30% off msrp is a good deal to shoot for based on everyone's comments. Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Please let us know how you end up.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Trailer is now on order!

The dealer was very easy to work with and we ended up over 30% off the MSRP price I got from the company. Not sure if that MSRP was correct or not. Happy with the deal. Now for the longest 4-6 weeks in history while we wait for delivery. Already shopping for accessories. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Congrats on the purchase. As long as you are happy then it was a good deal. Welcome to the family!

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

thanks!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

We too are waiting. But then again, it is still winter here. I actually hope the dealer will let the unit sit on his lot for a couple weeks after it arrives. Kinda hard to store two trailers. Sold our old one but it has not been picked up yet.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

I hear ya on the accessories while we wait - according to DW I am quickly using up any savings we had off of MSRP !!!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Yep, along with accessories, we're dreaming about how we're going to load everything - where everything we have will go. Need to empty out our old trailer, go through all the accumulated stuff, get rid of the 'stuff' we rarely use (save some weight) and get ready for delivery!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Hi, I just read your postings about buying a new Crossroads trailer. We are looking at purchasing a Cruiser Patriot 5th wheel. Can I ask what percentage off MSRP you finally ended up at for your purchase. Also what state are you in, and what dealer? In person or online? Thanks for any insight.
Retired02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Hi, we are thinking of buying a Cruiser Patriot 5th wheel. Can you tell me the percent off MSRP you finally settled on. Also, did you buy online or from a dealer, and if a dealer, which one? Any suggestions on the process? Any insights would be appreciated.

Retired02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

I won't give out too many details other than what I posted previously, but here is what I did. I shopped online for any ST dealer within a few hours drive of our home. I did this via Google because I didn't find the CR website dealer lookup all that helpful - very limited to close to you. Once you find a dealer, request a quote for exactly what you're looking for. I had 2 quotes with me when I spoke the second time to our local dealer. We live in Indiana. The dealer had given me a quote previously on our first visit. So on my second visit, I verified what was included. I then asked if they would match the quote from another dealer (online), which was only $300 less than my original quote from the local dealer, and they agreed to that. I also asked for a year of free storage (since we store our trailer with the dealer) and they agreed to that. Good enough for me - we placed the order.

Our local dealer gave us the best deal on our trade - by far. I'd suggest doing what I did, and shoot for somewhere around 30% off. But be aware that MSRP is not always MSRP! Read up on that here on this message board.