Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
New Camper

My husband and I are needing to get fifth wheel asap. We will be living in it in ND, and I know we will need to winterize and such. I have been doing research for the past 2 weeks and have visited all of the dealers within 2 hrs of me. I like the layout and R ratings on the Rushmore Washington and the Jayco Pinnacle. We have some friends that have the Pinnacle and have loved it up there. I personally prefer the looks of the Washington, but can't find much feedback on it. I have heard there have been some issues with the slide outs ect.. Basically I'm just looking for some advice. Is the Rushmore Washington built well? What problems have you had with it? Anyone else on here live in one up north? How the customer service when you have a problem?

Thanks!
Jimi
Jfilizetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Beware I hate to say it but craftsmanship is terrible, save yourself the heartache don't buy Crossroad's. We bought our Rushmore Lincoln a little over 2 months ago and its in the shop for major issues, our holding tanks fell out after 11 days, now we were having a/c issues and slide out issues, we were just told today that all 5 slides have major issues....let me see if I can explain this correctly.....the slide mechanism is new technology and the gears and the plate the gears run are too small for how big the slides are and causing out of alignment, worse is that because the gears are so small and have no locking system every time we tow it will be inevitable for slides to fall out of alignment. A/C had an issue with ducting collapsing so the fix is some foam insulation to keep from collapsing, it looks like that step got missed on ours which is causing condensation in the ceiling attic space. There are several other issues but these are the biggest. We do love the floorplan but quality needs to number one, we are considering talking to a lawyer or maybe class action lawsuit. We have a 10 year old Holiday Rambler A class and its seen less shop time than our 2 + month old Rushmore. We should have bought a Forest River product.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
New Camper

First off thank you for replying. Is yours a new 2014 or the 2013? Also how has the customer service been with the company on getting your issues taken care of? Sounds like a mess to have to deal with we are not planning on towing ours except to get it up there, but that does freak me out a bit about the slides.

Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

It is a 2013, so far customer service has been good, our concern is that the suggestion crossroads gave for the slides was to cut into the frame about 1/8th of an inch around each slide, that's a major flaw! The mechanic took 40 + pictures of issues he found, light coming in all around slides, screws are shearing off and breaking from body around each slide out too. In fact that's why our holding tanks fell out, screws holding frame sheared off causing tanks to collapse. Make sure the slides have been corrected, oh if you do buy have all tv's replaced Sansui is what they put in, had to replace ours first week in living room.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We have some friends that bought a new Pinnacle about 6 months ago and after two long trips in it they love it. Plus the two year warranty over the Rushmore. The Rushmore line has been having many issues here on the forum so if you go that route I would suggest a good extended warranty since you will only have 1 year to getwarranty issues worked out.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfilizetti
My husband and I are needing to get fifth wheel asap. We will be living in it in ND, and I know we will need to winterize and such.
Thanks!
Jimi
My question is---if you are not going to tow it, and you will be living in ND, why are you even considering buying something like this?? Why not purchase a mobile home? It will be warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, and you will more then likely have a lot less trouble with it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
New Camper

Old farmer

Cost is the main issue the property value up there is sky high and we have friends that own a home up their that will give us a very cheap spot for a fifth wheel since they have 6 spots on their land for them. This is the cheapest route at the moment.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Jimi, I would do some reading under the Rushmore section here on the forum and let some of those post be your guide. Also be very careful with some manufactures R values information. They can pretty much claim whatever they want.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
New Camper

Thanks Hunter11 I have and will continue to do some research on it and thanks for the tip!
Thanks
Jimi
Old 08-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Any question on my Jefferson. Feel free to PM.
Been fulltime in it for 6 months. I've also posted all my good & bad in the Rushmore section & mods section.
Gary
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfilizetti
Old farmer

Cost is the main issue the property value up there is sky high and we have friends that own a home up their that will give us a very cheap spot for a fifth wheel since they have 6 spots on their land for them. This is the cheapest route at the moment.
If they have spots that will accommodate a big 5th wheel, I would think it would be possible to move a smaller mobile home in there. Let me tell ya, if you folks are from MO. and have never spent a winter in ND. you don't know what your getting yourself into!!!
If you buy that 5th wheel and set it up in ND. and figure to spend the winter in it, you will be sorry. Do you know how cold it can get up there? 30--40 below zero is not all that uncommon. That 5th wheel can't hack it. Believe me. Plus if you have any trouble with it like it seems every body else that owns one of those Rushmore's does, how are you ever going to get it fixed?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

We owed a 05 Alfa. Saw -15 for a week..we had it shirted and insulated. Fewer slides the better. Slides are not insulated as well as the walls. Also find one the fridge is not in the slide. I would look for a used Mobile Suites. If I was headed for ND.
Gary
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I would agree with the two post above. For those kinds of temps I would look for a true four seasons/full time unit and warrantied as such if you purchase new.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=Hunter11]I would agree with the two post above. For those kinds of temps I would look for a true four seasons/full time unit and warrantied as such if you purchase new.[/QUO

I also agree. It may be wise to take the advice of these "Northern Folk" Hunter 11 is checking out full time units so his advice is solid.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Opps sorry Keith I made it look like you were a Northerner also!!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
New Camper

Actually lived in the UP in Michigan for quite a while so I'm familiar with the temps. I get that there would be better options but none that are feasible for us right now and we have friends that winter in ND in a jayco Pinnacle that has had lots of extra things done to winterize it and though not 100% pleasant they never had any major issues and have been doing it for 3 years now. I do understand that this is not the best choice but with mobile homes in that area going for 180k+ and normal homes over 300k we can't just buy a place and the cost of land isn't any better there are no places hardly at all to rent a place and rent is 1600+ a month for a tiny camper. This really is the best we can do right now and 100s of people winter in RVs there every year so I refuse to believe that it can't be done. thank you all for your opinions and I welcome any feedback about the Washington or pinnacle. Thanks guys!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Between the two units on your list and the amount of issues with the Rushmore line here on the forum lately and the difference in warranty between the two I know which one I would choose.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #18
Site Team

I guess if you are going to get one or the other, get the one that has a track record for being in the cold weather out there.
I seen one of the pinnacle's on the road the other day. It was a sharp enough looking rig that it caught my eye for a second look. I thought it was a very nice looking rig.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

My sister fulltimes in a Jayco. Spent one winter in Ennis, Mt..said she would never do that again. They put hay bails below the belly. Also have had their issues with their windows leaking, water lines hooked up wrong, fridge door hinges breaking, slide seals leaking. I don't think there's a quality made RV out there. My RV repair man in Yakima,Wa. He worked at Beaver Coach years ago. At the end of the week they pushed them out to hit their production numbers. That was the bottom line.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:02 AM   #20
Site Team

Well, lets face it. If you think you can stay warm and comfortable in "any" travel trailer in ND in the winter, you are disillusioned!You are going to freeze your a## off.
As far as I'm concerned anybody that says differently is full of BS.
End of rant---end of subject for me.