Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Hi,

New to forum and to Sunset Trail RVs. Previously owned two Jaycos - Pop-up and than our current hybrid TT.

Loved the Jayco quality but not the weight. I have a 2011 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost with 3.55's. Plan on towing cross country to Idaho/West Yellowstone for 2 weeks.

Almost pulled trigger on a couple 35 foot Jayco TTs, but mymechanicsaid "no way" on the weight. Finally did some deep research and with my family onboard and "stuff" we're realistically cant pull more than the 300BH.

Looked at the 300BH. Nothing on the market out there even comes close. 5600lbs dry, unit we looked at was 6200 on the sticker.

Love the unit, but disappointed in the small bath. guess you gotta cut corners somewhere to drop weight

Never heard of Sunset Trail before today. Anyone have comments on Sunset Trail or specifically this unit?

Also, anyone towing a 31BH with a 1/2 ton out there? Does the ultra lights have the same 12 year warranty on the roof. CampingWorld told me "yes", but not finding anything written on it.

Again, new to forum and excited about this unit.

Edited by: mmuha
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

hi , and welcome to the forum . we have a 09 Sunset trail 27 Rear bath . we arer very pleased with it and it had been very good and has had a few minor problems that were corrected under warranty .

when you have a bunkhouse , you will have a small bath . i havn't seen too many with a big bath that is a bunk house model . our ST is a light weight . pull it with a half ton SUV . no problems pulling . our weight is not quite as much as yours . maybe 1000 pounds lighter . our roof has a 12 year warranty .

i know of one problem the newer ST were having . they were having problems with the slides . i think they changed backed to the slide mechanism that we have in our 09 . perhaps y ou could askthe dealer . if he is a reputable dealer, he should let you know about any slide problems that they may have had .

good luck and Happy Camping
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hi,

Thanks for the response. It's people like you is why I enjoy camping so much. Since our first pop-up 10 years ago, I've been overwhelmed with the support we get from other RV'ers. I cant tell you how many times people have walked over a the campground just to help out when I was either struggling with a stuck awning or trying for the ump-teenth time to back in to a spot.

The info you provided is helpful in making our decision. I called Crossroads customer service today to ask a couple questions and the tech was awesome. I put a deposit on the unit and sign papers next week. I will definately bring up the issues with the slides.

Oddlly enough, the only negative press I found in the forums was actually griping about my exact dealership. I will make a point th share that with them when we close the deal. Its a mega-store type shop. We're a bit skeptical to buy there, but we essentially have no choice. Our unit is 1 of 4 I found online nationwide.The Crossroads tech said they cant keep this model on the floor, so at least i know Im getting a popular layout.

The tech told me about the roof as its not walkable, just like our JayFeather, so no worries. One thing we found that was very minor, but odd was the lack of a TPholderand towel rack in the bath.The tech said you can add it, but not standard. I guess they're trying to cut costs and weight anywaypossible.

This trailer is amazing, its so light I can use the same equalizer hitch from my hybrid. When were tooling along Highway 20 in Wyoming, I'll feel better towing this instead of an 9,000 lb 35 TT.

Thanks again and happy camping!

Edited by: mmuha
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Funny right on the Crossroads site it states walkable roofs. Here is the link.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/construction

Beamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I have found wrong info on the site too. Very confusing if you are trying to research. If you click on the construction link, it states aluminum framing, and plywood flooring, our Z1 has neither.
As for bathrooms, that was a selling feature on ours, with the outside entry ti the bath, it gives you a more useable room. Our previous 34' Gulfstream bunkhouse had a tiny bathroom.Edited by: hippy45
Old 03-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy45
I have found wrong info on the site too. Very confusing if you are trying to research. If you click on the construction link, it states aluminum framing, and plywood flooring, our Z1 has neither.
As for bathrooms, that was a selling feature on ours, with the outside entry ti the bath, it gives you a more useable room. Our previous 34' Gulfstream bunkhouse had a tiny bathroom.

I see yours is a 2012 and so I think the site isreferringto current new models.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

It was the same last year when we were researching ours. The Zinger, and Z1 are wood framed, aluminum skin still.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy45
It was the same last year when we were researching ours. The Zinger, and Z1 are wood framed, aluminum skin still.

Did you contact them regarding the discrepancy? I just shot them an email to see as I am curious to know, I have a 2013 Sunset Trail coming in a couple weeks.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Got a very fast response from Crossroads. Don't get why that tab says that must be on 5th wheels or something.

Thanks!</span></span>This roof is not a walkable roof. It is thicker luan decking. Another reason why we don’t install a ladder on the back. The potential of focused weight folding the roof bows is quite high.</span></span>Hope this helps!</span></span></span>Bill Stout</span>Warranty / Tech Support / Customer Care</span>Crossroads RV Company</span>
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Wow, that was a fast response! I guess you have luan roof because it is considered a light-weight. Let us know how you like the new trailer! Mine is sadly surronded by snowbanks