Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone added an extra shore power circuit?

Our Zinger 25RB has an outdoor kitchen with a fridge. We have on occasion tripped the breaker when that fridge, the indoor fridge, and the AC are all on at the same time. We also camp in the winter, and use a pair of electric heaters to keep warm. We always camp in Provincial Parks with both 15 and 30 amp service.

I am thinking about adding an additional shore power inlet to the trailer, and running cable into the outdoor kitchen and to a new box near the floor inside. My thinking is I would never be using the outdoor fridge and the inside heater at the same time, so I could run them off the same new circuit. I would likely put a weather resistant box under the floor at the rear and then drill up under the counter in the outdoor kitchen and go from there.

Has anyone tried this? Anything I am missing? Faults in the plan? Before I start drilling into anything I thought it best to check with the experts!
theflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

If you're only on a 15 amp circuit you definitely won't be able to run all that. Turn the fridges to gas & run the furnace on rather than portable heaters. If its below freezing you need to run the furnace anyway as most rvs have heat ducted to the water lines/tanks underneath.
Also if you don't have a surge protector\EMS get one & use every time you plug in.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

The water heater tugs on the amps pretty good too.

I have a similar setup as you on a 30 amp line.

When it’s hot out I flip the water heater and fridge to gas to reduce the load. I can then run the outdoor kitchen fridge on electric (only opt), the microwave and the AC without any problems.

2017 Crossroads Volante 310bh
2016 Ford F-350 6.7l PSD Superduty

Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks

Thanks guys,

I should clarify that I do NOT use water in the winter. We are in Ontario, and it gets down below -20 at times, so not worth the aggravation. We only head up a handful of times per winter for 2-3 nights at most. I have a portable toilet from the popup days that we use, and we bring jugs for water. There are nice hot showers at the park. I only need the furnace when we first arrive (last New Years it was -28 Celsius INSIDE the trailer when we showed up!) After an hour or so, we use only the two electric heaters and can keep the inside at 20C/68F no problem.

I use a separate 15 amp extension cord now and plug the outdoor fridge into it already-I'm just looking for a way to make it cleaner. Plus I would like to be able to keep both electric heaters going while making coffee or using the toaster oven in the winter. I know, first wold problems!
theflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

If you do it I would suggest using a small breaker box or use a cord with an integrated breaker for your supply connection.

Both are available at Lowe’s.

2017 Crossroads Volante 310bh
2016 Ford F-350 6.7l PSD Superduty

Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I always run fridge on gas it cools quicker and saves the juice for other items.Same thing on water heater. Only in winter when the A.C. is off do I use electricity on water heater.
catdaddy1rt is offline   Reply With Quote