Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

AM FM reception problem

Hello all. I am the owner of a 2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 30RE. I use to have a Omni directional TV antenna. Because of poor reception I was told I would get better reception going to the Winegard Razor automatic. Even though it isn't really meant to be installed on a curved roof it seems to be working a little better. Rural areas are still not the best. Now though I have terrible AM and FM radio reception in rural areas. The car radio works better then the travel trailer. The Sunset Trail has no obvious radio antenna that I can see. Did the Omni directional antenna also serve as a radio antenna? Does the Winegard Razor have AM FM reception capability? Maybe it was hooked up wrong
medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic View Post
Hello all. I am the owner of a 2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 30RE. I use to have a Omni directional TV antenna. Because of poor reception I was told I would get better reception going to the Winegard Razor automatic. Even though it isn't really meant to be installed on a curved roof it seems to be working a little better. Rural areas are still not the best. Now though I have terrible AM and FM radio reception in rural areas. The car radio works better then the travel trailer. The Sunset Trail has no obvious radio antenna that I can see. Did the Omni directional antenna also serve as a radio antenna? Does the Winegard Razor have AM FM reception capability? Maybe it was hooked up wrong
The way these things are normally wired, the antenna goes to the little amplifier (with the red or green light), and out to the front jack for the TV. But inside, behind the panel, a second output goes to the radio. Also amplified. But if your new installation somehow bypassed that panel (often includes a cigarette lighter outlet), and went straight to the TV, then your radio will receive nothing. See if you can route your Razor through the amplifier. It's easy, just pull the two screws, and pull the module out. The wiring will be self-explanatory. One input, two outputs, a power and a ground.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I would call Winegard customer support and ask them. I read somewhere on the internet,LOL, that it could receive FM but not AM signals. 1-800-788-4417
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

OOPS! Correction! That little circuit board has TWO inputs and two outputs. The outputs are as described. But one input is from the antenna, and the other comes from the jack where you plug in a campsite cable. Both get boosted with the amp turned on. The antenna needs the boost, while the cable doesn't like it. So if you're hooked up to campsite cable, amp is off, then you won't have much for am/fm to the radio.
An alternative would be a different radio antenna. Get behind the radio, you will see where the antenna plugs in, just like a car radio. Even a length of insulated wire, with the exposed tip folded back, and plugged into the radio's jack would work. Run the wire out the window if possible, and just let it hang. It doesn't take much to receive local am or fm. Pull the wire in and tuck it behind the radio when you're ready to close the window and head out.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
New Camper

I'm not familiar with this rig, or configuration, but combining a radio antenna and TV antenna are never a great idea, because of different frequencies between radio and television.
If it was combined, then yes, you should have a separate antenna for your radio. A 31" whip would be fine.
As far as television, with the advent of digital signals, most TV transmitters are on UHF, but Winegard and other RV antenna makers haven't quite figured that out. They still concentrate on VHF, but those are far and few between. At best, you might get a 30 mile range, but if you need more, then you are going to have to look at an external antenna.
BTW, I have 40+ years experience in the broadcast industry, so I have a little knowledge about this.
jhendry01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:44 AM   #6
New Camper

AM/FM reception problem

I have a 2014 SunsetTrail Reserve. The omnidirectional antenna always sucked but the radio worked. I replaced the Omni and now I get better TV reception but almost no radio with the booster on and TV over the air. Today I am at a campground with cable. Booster off and lots of radio channels. Luckily I have Bluetooth and that works all the time.
Crp riviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Time to add a regular radio antenna.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

To avoid these kinds of issues, I always rely on high-quality products. You should get a CB radio or radio scanner. I think these are expensive, but their signals and other features are very reliable and advanced. However, Jensen could also be a good radio choice (yes, it is portable) with Bluetooth stereo.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote