Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

upgrade to Class A ?

Have had a 2013 Hill Country since 2014, thinking about moving up to a Class A. Have any of you done it and what are the pros and cons of the house on wheels ? I grew up in both Class A's and bumper pulls. Liked both.

I know that with a class A, you can't get setup at camp and them go out sightseeing, but other than that, I can't see many cons.

Someone please talk me out or into it, ha !

Charlie
Ready to Rumble
cwalther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I've debated same. Comes down to you are towing either way. Extremely initial high cost of Class A, repeating costs of registration, inspection, fuel economy and etc. negatively outweighs for me the ownership. Tough decision to make - Best wishes for your choice. Let us know how you decide.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Agree with all of the previous statements. Plus, you will have to tow something. Now you have 2 engines and drive trains to maintain.

I have owned both - class A and class C. Most of the MH, unless you go big (and usually that means expensive) don't have the room or usable floor space as comparable length trailer or 5th wheel.
They get pretty classy and flashy tho.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Just to add one thing. If you have never driven one they are a lot different then a truck and trailer combo. They are a lot wider so you have to watch bridges and in road construction can be a handful also depending on the length require a lot of room to turn. They are taller so you have to watch trees and gas station canopies. Unless you are experienced in operating one i would suggest a training course.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Just to add one thing. If you have never driven one they are a lot different then a truck and trailer combo. They are a lot wider so you have to watch bridges and in road construction can be a handful also depending on the length require a lot of room to turn. They are taller so you have to watch trees and gas station canopies. Unless you are experienced in operating one i would suggest a training course.
I agree they are different than driving a truck, but they are no wider than any other RV of any kind & no taller than any 5th wheel. If you can tow your TT or 5er across narrow bridges or through construction areas comfortably it shouldn't be any different driving across or through in a MH.
For us it was all about the $$. We could buy a very nice well equipped truck & 5th wheel for about 1/2 of the price of an equally equipped MH then still needed a vehicle to tow.
I mentioned to a fellow in a MH home that our 5er had all the options his MH had & I could back it up, he said "I can back up with my car attached.........about a foot".
One other thing to think about is fuel. If a diesel you can fill up easily at any truck stop, if gas you're having to deal with all the inconsiderate drivers trying beat you to the end pumps, which is usually the only ones you can use especially if towing a car.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #6
Site Team

What i was referencing about the width was that a motor home is wider then your truck. You sit in a different position compared to a pickup so when pulling in to a narrow lane construction zone you are not keeping your truck centered but a much wider motor home. Some people have a problem with this. Especially if you have never drove a vehicle this wide. Just like following a semi threw a narrow lane construction zone you can tell the rookies from the pros.

As far as the height semis are 13' 6" most 5th wheels are not that tall but some class A motor homes are very close. So depending on the model chosen height will have to be watched very closely.

I base my observations on over 35 years and close to 2.000.000 miles behind the wheel pulling 40 - 48 - then 53 ft trailers with everything from cab overs to a stretched conventional. My last truck was new when they gave it to me and when i quit driving it had over 800.000 miles.

With proper training a motor-home is not hard to drive but they are different than a truck trailer combo. But i have seen more than i can count take out the passenger side getting into a bridge or a hi way divider.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #7
New Camper

If you really want to upgrade it to class A then be prepared for more costly maintenance.
Who makes Woodbridge toilets, is one of the most frequently asked questions about this Woodbridge Toilets brand. Woodbridge toilets & other Woodbridge branded products are supplied and marketed directly by Woodbridge Bath a bath & kitchen products company located in Cerritos CA. They supply & distribute Woodbridge branded kitchen and bath products for several years. More Woodbridge toilet here: https://bestflushingtoilet.org/woodb...piece-toilets/
Hutchhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Also, besides needing to tow a vehicle to keep from being campground bound. Check with you local property tax department. When we had ours we had to pay property taxes on a second home because it is a Motor(Home). Just saying!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Well I guess yall may have talked me out of moving to a Class A.
Our typical camping rituals involve arriving, getting setup, leveled and connected and then not moving again until it's time to leave. Also lots of recreational drinking, so really no need to venture out, ha ! Therefore I was thinking that I would not need a tow vehicle. But as I read through the responses, I realize that once I retire, we will be taking longer cross country trips and will want to venture out for sightseeing. My gas mileage pulling my TT is 7-8MPG. I figured I could get 5-7 with a Class A (gas pusher), so don't think to much difference on fuel. Others pointed out additional maintainence, licensing, inspections, etc. So yes, that is a consideration. The comment about having to pay property tax seems wrong, but I guess I should look into that. Hoping to buy some small acreage in Canada, and become a reverse snowbird. Headed there in the heat of the Texas summer and back home for the mild winters.
Thanks for all of the information to ponder.
CHarlie
Ready to Rumble
cwalther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:36 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

This is something I have been pondering as well, for quite some time. I have always known that when I retire, I want to full time. I have always loved being outdoors, and have been an avid tent camper all my life. 2 years ago, we bought our first TT ( Her parents own a TT, and she used to frequently visit them when they were camping, But visiting is not the same as living the life, so I figured I had better start warming her up to it, lest I be spending my golden years with just the Dog !) In my mind, I always pictured myself in a class A. For most of the reasons posted above, I'm leaning towards a TT or a 5th instead, and a Diesel tow vehicle. probably the biggest factor is having to tow another vehicle along, because I can't see any situation where you wouldn't need/want to leave camp for sightseeing/grocery items/nights out for dinner, dancing, ect, ect, ect. The thought of being a "captive of the 45' beast" doesn't sit well with either of us.
The thought of having an "all in one" solution is tempting, but in my mind, just not very practical for us. YMMV