Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

My wheels are aluminum. Dealer says 120 is too much. He said when he contacted Crossroads they said the same. Caused the bolts to stretch, and freeze up. Sheared all bolts on the left rear and lost it on an off ramp. Crossroads covered all the repairs and provided 4 new wheels. My manual say 120lbs also. Dealer says the manual is wrong.
Kevin from K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #22
Family Vacation Member

I don't know the answer Ken, but I did it. My wheels were torqued to 110# but after reading the posts in this thread, I loosened them with a star wrench and re-torqued them at 95# without jacking up the trailer. Hopefully someone can provide us with some answers to this.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #23
Seasonal Camper

I did the same to mine a while back, I loosened them to almost nothing, then retorqued them to 95#. What I did was after about 25 miles I stopped and retorqued them again and they were not loose at all. Then I just rechecked them at 100 miles and they were fine.

Going toa Discount Tire store here in MI they told me that their company policy for aluminum rims is to torque them to 100# they wont torque Aluminum rims any looser than that to leave their store, I asked them to torque to 95# and they wouldnt. So after hearing that I retorqued them again to 100# and havent had a problem at all with them.

I do torque them in steps also just like the manuals say to do, it makes sense to me to do it thta way if they recommend it.

IMO Im keeping mine at 100# per Discount tire, they know rims alot better than I do and I feel they probably know them better than most manufactures.Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
Seasonal Camper

The light Sabre squad sounds fun..

I am yet to see a other camper at a camp ground to use a torque wrench. I have seen tow trucks come and just slam the nuts on with a impact wrench. But still, No torque wrench. Offered my torque wrench toa few folks. But they insist that it is all in the feel..

My wifes car is aluminum rims. 7/16 size studs. That manual states 97'lbs Is that with Antisieze or grease or without? Because it will change the value with the use of lubricant.

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Everything I have read states no lubricants of any kind, in fact, the threads are suppose to be brushed clean and dry.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #26
Family Vacation Member

I guess you don't see many folks that are on the road a lot. We had the discussion at our winter location last year and the old guard said I don't need a stinking torque wrench. We discussed it at length and explained how a stretched stud can be big trouble. We did some random checking with the owners and found how far of some of them were many over & under. Over the period of our stay several folks asked where they might get a wrench and several did purchase one too but there was a bunch that already carried one.You can purcase a good enough quality one for under $ 20.00 or even less than that. The extreme acuracy of them such as an engine builder might use is not necessary as most are good to between 2 to 4 % accuracy and the important thing is that they the studs are tightened as evenly or the same to avoid loosening because of varying tightness.1/2 inch studs are quite vunerable to stretch as many over tighten them.

On the torque ratings for your trailers Our Paradise Point with Mag wheels was to be at 80# and we towed thousands of miles with no wheel or lugnut problems & they were Alko axles too. I am suprised that there are said to be so many ratings for a 1/2 inch stud.IMHO Jb
Old 11-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #27
Family Vacation Member

It is funny here also as in engine building we always lube the bolts or studs as we want accurate torque readings. Go figure Jb
Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

I carry a torque wrench also. It's a cheapie from Harbor Freight but I set it for 100# and I figure the +/- will get me in the ball park. A also have a small Craftsman air compressor that lives in my pass-through so I can check tire pressures on truck and trailerwhile they're cold. There never seems to be an air station close to the campground.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #29
Weekend Camper

I always carry a torque wrench when towing. we recently bought a 2021 cruiser air cr28rd 5th wheel and mine came set at 130# after watching a video of a guy who lost a wheel while on the road because all lug bolts sheared off from being too tight. I am now trying to get the straight scoop on lug nut torque.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:06 PM   #30
Site Team

Here's a good chart provided by E Trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lug nut (2).jpg (108.6 KB, 16 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:15 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

thanx for the chart. I also emailed the wheel mfr. because mine came from the dealer set at 130# and I'm thinking that is too high.
Old 09-02-2023, 01:43 PM   #32
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
I set my wrench for 100 lbs. and can check my truck and camper with the same setting.
That is what I do as well. i've had no issues.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 11:59 AM   #33
Weekend Camper

I asked Dexter who makes the hubs and they replied 100-120. for some reason mine were all set at 130# so I emailed the Hi-spec wheel company and they said 95-120. I dont know if 10# over is unsafe but I plan to loosen mine and then tighten to 110#.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:03 PM   #34
Full Time Camper

I set mine at #110

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote