Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Awning support

2017 Sunset Trail 290QB

Been camping for many years and we're on our 3rd camper. My prior two campers had awnings that slide and lock in place. Our current Sunset Trail has a power 15' awning that self-lowers to let water off of it. There is no way to lock it in place that I can see.
For the 1st time we've signed a seasonal agreement and I'd like to be able to secure the awning so that it doesn't go up and down all the time. Certainly will pull the awning in during windy storms. Does anyone have experience with this? Any poles or ideas to lock this type of awning so that it doesn't bend in the middle to self-lower?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190701_125300.jpg (176.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20190704_181835.jpg (153.4 KB, 38 views)
paguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Site Team

The lower arm has a joint it it that you pull down to set the pitch.https://www.carid.com/images/solera-...ers-manual.pdf Here is a copy of the manual if you do not have one.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

They make tie down straps with a short spring on the lower end that still allows some slight movement so as not to damage the awning.

camco-rv-accessories-42593-64_1000.jpg
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

BEWARE.........!!!!

I have the same exact awning on my Zinger291RL.

I have had the mechanism fail TWICE at the point where the gas strut joins the flimsy alloy 'U' channel.

Both times Campingworld fixed it under warranty, but my opinion is this is a design flaw when used on the larger canopies like mine.

I have absolutely no confidence in it anymore and suspect it is only a matter of time before it fails again.

Last time, when it failed, the asymmetric load partially tore out the main 'U' channel that is screwed to the side of the coach.

In the authors lower photo you can actually see the channel bending where the upper end of the gas strut connects with a rivet through a hole whose diameter is more or less one third of the width of the channel....yerrrrk.

I have photos of the damage if you want to see them PM me.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
BEWARE.........!!!!

I have the same exact awning on my Zinger291RL.

I have had the mechanism fail TWICE at the point where the gas strut joins the flimsy alloy 'U' channel.

Both times Campingworld fixed it under warranty, but my opinion is this is a design flaw when used on the larger canopies like mine.

I have absolutely no confidence in it anymore and suspect it is only a matter of time before it fails again.

Last time, when it failed, the asymmetric load partially tore out the main 'U' channel that is screwed to the side of the coach.

In the authors lower photo you can actually see the channel bending where the upper end of the gas strut connects with a rivet through a hole whose diameter is more or less one third of the width of the channel....yerrrrk.

I have photos of the damage if you want to see them PM me.
I am looking at my photos and my camper. I do not see anything bending or distorting in any way.
paguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
RC3
Weekend Camper

thanks for the advice on the tie downs. I have spare 1 inch ratcheting tie downs and one spiral spike. When I get to my winter home, I'll get two Camco 42532 7" Awning Springs from Amazon.com, $2.69 each (https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42532-7...1606800&sr=8-1) and a another spiral spike and I'll be set to go!

And here is the awning I had installed to replace the original. There is a friction lock on the bottom arm that locks it into place. It will still allow movement under enough pressure. Spreads the load over a larger area, rather than all on the shock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awning.jpg (261.2 KB, 18 views)
RC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Paguy77,

My bad, but on my laptop, in your lower photos, the 'U' channel where the gas lift pivots looks to be under high stress, and indeed I see a bow in it, but if you say it's straight then I apologize.

Mine looked identical to that immediately before it failed without warning, TWICE, TWO TIMES....... No wind, no rain, no debris, just bang crash wallop.

Attached below are three photos of the failure point.

Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Those arms looked bowed to me too, but If they’re straight, that’s good.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote