Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #61
Full Time Camper

Only if you start lifting it enough that the good Tire starts coming off the ground. The bit of residule lift to get the new Tire in place will not be enough that the 2 ton jack will not handle. What I like about the smaller jack is it is short and takes up no weight or space in the trailer
Old 08-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
Only if you start lifting it enough that the good Tire starts coming off the ground. The bit of residule lift to get the new Tire in place will not be enough that the 2 ton jack will not handle. What I like about the smaller jack is it is short and takes up no weight or space in the trailer

I have an eight ton shorty that I bought just for the purpose everyone is talking about. If you want it, you can have it. I just want to watch you raise "one" wheel on your trailer with it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #63
Full Time Camper

After thinking about the information and advice from travelin texan; I decided to purchase a 6 Ton bottle jack off eBay. It has a Lifting Range: 7-1/2" - 15-1/4. My axel next to the tire inflated is 12". So this is giving me 4 1/2 inches if flat. If need be I can always use my leveling blocks for any difference in height.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #64
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have an eight ton shorty that I bought just for the purpose everyone is talking about. If you want it, you can have it. I just want to watch you raise "one" wheel on your trailer with it.
Never had an issue lifting one wheel. The equalizer and spring allows enough flex to lift it. Of course, at my age, I plan on using my cell phone.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #65
Gone Traveling

An 8 ton jack won't lift 1 wheel off the ground???? I don't want that jack either, it's severely missed labeled.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
An 8 ton jack won't lift 1 wheel off the ground???? I don't want that jack either, it's severely missed labeled.

I believe you missed the point. What he is saying is the jack will lift up more than the 1 tire. Not that it can't lift 1 tire.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #67
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I believe you missed the point. What he is saying is the jack will lift up more than the 1 tire. Not that it can't lift 1 tire.
I want that Jack that works from the cell phone too!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #68
Site Team

Must be a Samson, oh, I mean Samsung.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 08-27-2016, 06:15 AM   #69
Seasonal Camper

So, I thought in this day and age, everyone had roadside assistance. Y'all jesting me????? I've got multiple service policies.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 08-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #70
Site Team

This my 20 ton. There is absolutely no strain on the handle when I want raise something. Also a pic of what I use when it's under the axle.
It's a 3 in. piece of angle welded on top a pipe cap which fits down over the top of jack. This cradles the axle and applies even pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1618.jpg (119.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1619.jpg (144.3 KB, 11 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #71
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
So, I thought in this day and age, everyone had roadside assistance. Y'all jesting me????? I've got multiple service policies.
Have Good Sams Roadside assistance. Coming back from Alabama Memorial day week end had a blow out They said it would be three to four hours before they could get some one to come out, yea like I am on I20 al lkinds of trucks coming real close, could not get over any more.. So I changed it my self
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
What do you do when you want to lube/check your bearings??

Old 08-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #73
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
What do you do when you want to lube/check your bearings??

Different subject. I'm not one of those that believes bearing lube is an annual event on these rv's. I've driven vehicles tens and tens of thousands of miles with no wheel bearing maintenance... I do the same with the fifth wheel. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 08-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #74
Seasonal Camper

Just a heads up. HarborFreight will be running 25% off coupons for Labor Day. Good time to get breaker bars and jacks.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #75
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Have Good Sams Roadside assistance. Coming back from Alabama Memorial day week end had a blow out They said it would be three to four hours before they could get some one to come out, yea like I am on I20 al lkinds of trucks coming real close, could not get over any more.. So I changed it my self
X2,

I've had to wait over 3 hours on two separate occasions, two different service plans. Well, the second time I just jacked up the trailer with my truck jack and didn't wait, so who knows how long it would of been. And were not talking being in the middle of nowhere either. I was 20 miles outside Charlotte the first time and 10 minutes from a camping world outside of Buffalo on 90 going through NY the second time.

Unless I need towed I would not ever think of calling either of my service plans. If I physically couldn't change the tire I guess it would be a valuable service, but I just keep paying in case I need a real tow.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #76
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Different subject. I'm not one of those that believes bearing lube is an annual event on these rv's. I've driven vehicles tens and tens of thousands of miles with no wheel bearing maintenance... I do the same with the fifth wheel. JMHO

If I were you I'd be playing the lottery cause you have to be one lucky guy!!
Old 08-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #77
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
If I were you I'd be playing the lottery cause you have to be one lucky guy!!

If you were me, you'd realize those bearing are just fine. You do realize that many new vehicles have non serviceable wheel bearings huh? What you gonna do then? Change the bearing assembly annually? I think on my 04 GMC they failed at 90,000 miles. My rv has at most 3,000 miles on it.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 08-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #78
Gone Traveling

By all means please continue to ignore the bearings, brakes, spindles, magnets & any thing else behind those hubs & safe travels & I will continue to inspect mine annualy & be confident everything is fine behind my hubs.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #79
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
By all means please continue to ignore the bearings, brakes, spindles, magnets & any thing else behind those hubs & safe travels & I will continue to inspect mine annualy & be confident everything is fine behind my hubs.

To each his own.....I've had one bearing failure in my life. I repacked my boat trailer bearings many years ago, and my Dad insisted I didn't torque it right. He tightened to his liking.....smoked it. When my equipment is not performing right, I'll have it repaired. I'm just not a tear it down and see why it's working right guy. Sorry about the hijacked thread folks.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 12-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #80
Family Vacation Member

Lloyd,
I had a blow out on our new-to-us RV on the way home from picking it up (4 year old tires which I've since replaced). On our old RV I could just drive the good tire on the same side up on blocks to change the flat. As the Good Sam ERS tire man was jacking up the Cruiser to change the tire, it looked like the Trail-Aire suspension system would not allow me to use the old method (or a Trailer Aid block). So you're saying you CAN use the Trailer Aid block with this type of suspension? Thanks.