Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Seville Recall?

Hi, I have had a electrical problem in my 2008 cross roads Seville since I bought the unit new in 2009, at one point it burned out the TV satellite receiver, the microwave oven, and other plug in appliances, also the stereo system was destroyed, the dealer tested the electrical system and could find nothing wrong, I still have breakers popping every so now and then, this is after I replaced one breaker! I had a regular electrician looking over my unit and could find nothing wrong, this lead I will persue and see it my older trailer is the same, also as a note my inverter does not work on my home 50 A plug in, only on the 30A will it work.............?

2003 Lariat Super Crew Diesel.

2008 Seville VF36SB
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

My question is the 50 amp home breaker wired correctly ? It sounds like a 220 volt burned every thing out. There is a difference in wiring coming off your home 220 v 50 amp service to a 220 v appliance vrs 110 v 50 amp rv receptical. There is a common for each 110 v leg.
Randy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:58 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Randy,

The 50A receptacle is wired as 110V on the panel, my electrician who checked the connections after the incident happened to my trailer told me there is no way 220V power can reach my trailer. Before I started using my new 50A receptacle I used a 30A which is fairly close by, the inverter works on this receptacle, I don't understand that the inverter does not work when I use the 50A. Also I still have one breaker pop from time to time, this is the one that powers the TV, Fridge, wall outlet above the stove and counter, I have replaced this breaker with a new one and it still pops from time to time! I have had electrical problems from the day I bought this trailer new and no one seems to be able to pin point what is causing this, I love my trailer but will not buy Cross Roads again because of this!

Thanks.

Rene.

2008 Seville VF36SB
Old 09-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Is the trailer 50amp or 30amp. if the trailer is 50amp and you plug into a 50amp outlet that is only wired for 110 at the breaker, one leg of power is not being used and half your trailer would not get power. The 30 amp plug works because the 30 to 50amp adapter splits the 110 30 amp to both legs and your whole trailer receives power, just limited to 30 amps. a 50 amp plug for a 50 amp trailer should have two hots: red and black wires. A neutral white wire and a ground bare copper wire. I think you could have eliminated alot of your issues if you just used a good EMS like progressive industries. these devices are designed to only let good power get to your rig. They will alert you to low voltage or no voltage. bad grounds and open neutrals, as well as protect against surges and miss wired outlets.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
Ken
Weekend Camper

jason is correct just get a tester and and test your 50amp plug and make sure you have 2 hot wires going in. On my last camping trip my wife plugged the camper in while I was launching the boat and later that night the plug came loose and I lost power to half of my trailer. I could not figure out what was going on I pulled the converter out checked fuzes then I checked the plug at the box and nothing. Then my wife goes over and unplugs the cord at the trailer then plugs it back in and everything work. I felt like an idiot I was just about to pack everything up and go home.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thumbs up

Jason,

Thanks, I'll show this to my electrician and let him correct this outlet, Learn evey day looking at treats like these!

Happy Camping.

Rene.

2008 Seville VF36SB
Old 09-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

glad I could help

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:34 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
Is the trailer 50amp or 30amp. if the trailer is 50amp and you plug into a 50amp outlet that is only wired for 110 at the breaker, one leg of power is not being used and half your trailer would not get power. The 30 amp plug works because the 30 to 50amp adapter splits the 110 30 amp to both legs and your whole trailer receives power, just limited to 30 amps. a 50 amp plug for a 50 amp trailer should have two hots: red and black wires. A neutral white wire and a ground bare copper wire. I think you could have eliminated alot of your issues if you just used a good EMS like progressive industries. these devices are designed to only let good power get to your rig. They will alert you to low voltage or no voltage. bad grounds and open neutrals, as well as protect against surges and miss wired outlets.

Good post jason.
Some times things just aren't what they seem or the way described.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote