Old 10-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
HCF
Weekend Camper

Any tips to keep pest out?

Hi! We just finished winterizing our Zinger and put it in storage. My concern is keeping out unwanted pest such as mice. Any helpful tips would be appreciated. I've already looked for any openings and filled with foam insulation. But given the overall quality I'm sure there is a way for them to get in. I was told to use moth balls but we really don't want to go that route. Thanks in advance!

HCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Is your rig stored at home?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
HCF
Weekend Camper

No. I have to pay for storage. It is on gravel outside. We emptied it and cleaned it well.

HCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Team

At least you're not on grass, or in some old pole barn half full of hay.

The year I feel that we finally got ours sealed up, we were fall camping during small game season. We had mice. We were in a National Forest campground with woods all around. I went to town close by and got some traps, spray foam, and some steel wool. My wife and I pull all drawers out, opened every cupboard door. (they have holes all over these things, and some big enough for a cat to crawl thru)
The small holes I filled with foam, bigger and BIG holes I stuffed steel wool in and then sealed them with foam. I went underneath and sealed all I could find there. Look especially close at both ends of the rig. They like to leave openings there. Look real close in front of the rear bumper. If you have a slide out with the rack and pinion, close it up as tight as possible around those shafts that go thru the frame. I used a really heavy duty sand paper I have for a disc sander/grinder. Leave the sandy side out.
So far we haven't had any more mice INSIDE the trailer. They can still get in the front storage compartment. That's impossible to seal, but you can seal that so they can't access the inside of your unit.

If you can visit your rig when ever you want, then bait some traps and place them around in the rig on newspaper. Once winter sets in in earnest the varmints slow down considerably.

Good luck.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

i use engine starting fluid (either) But my trailer is in the back yard. I spray every 4-5 days a good spray into a rag in the 30A cord cubby at back of trailer, a rag in the see through at front of trailer, and a generous amount into a old soup can at easy access right by the door. Myself and a buddy each do this and since starting have never had a problem. The clue came when the 40 year old tractor never had a mouse in the cab with the either can under the seat, and the new tractor had a mouse in the first 6 months.. In the spring 1/2 day with window open + the screen door, that smell is gone. But if your trailer is close enough to go once a week, might be worth the 5-6 cans over winter, and leave the cans inside,seems they have a tendency to kinda give off the scent regardless, (leak)
Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I recommend doing what Lloyd said to do by crawling underneath the unit and seal up every hole you can find. Also seal up all the areas where plumbing runs up through the floor and around the furnace and ducting where it goes through the floor. When stored I put some cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil placed in small plastic cups in various spots on the floor throughout the camper and also in the storage compartments and the outdoor kitchen. Have not had any unwanted visitors yet.
2015 F150 Supercrew w/3.5L EcoBoost/Max tow
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Mice do not like SNUGGLE dryer sheets or the green Irish Spring soap. We use both and have for many years and have never have evidence of critters..........I go overboard with the sheets but better to be safe than sorry.......
Old 10-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Bounce dryer sheets, steel wool and Comet

My Parents owned a seasonal campgrounds for 28 years, and for many years, I owned a seasonal camper there, placed in the woods year 'round.
The best thing you can do for mice is to make real sure you are removing anything that they might like to eat. Take your spices out. Clean everything well, take your toaster and coffee maker out for the winter. Don't even think about leaving your grill in the storage area.
Get your unit as tight as possible. However, even if your unit is bulletproof, mice will find a way in, if they smell something they want.
I discourage the use of any poisons inside, it is designed to attract them. Then they get in, eat it, die, and smell up the place.
I have always used Bounce regular (not odd scented) dryer sheets, and peppermint oil to repel them. Renew as needed to keep the scent strong.
Also, I sprinkle Comet cleanser all the way around the wheels, and the tongue jack. They won't walk in it. I keep my TT in a shelter, and obviously that will be less effective outdoors.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
New Camper

Irish spring soap bars and dryer sheets )
Gavin696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Keep critters out

Since Ď05, I go to the dollar store pick up a box of dryer sheets put them all through out the RV, I use every one in the box, more the merrier, lol. In the spring I pick them up and set off a big bomb for any spiders or other insects. Never had a problem.
Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pest, winterizing, zinger