Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Shut off for winterizing

Ok so I have a zinger 280trk which I will be winterizing for the first time. I was looking at the hot water tank and it only has one valve on the Blue line. It is not located on the piece between the red and Blue its before the tank I don't see how its going to let the antifreeze get to the hot water line side of my camper. It's too g to stop it from going into the tank which is what you want but I just don't see how it will get to Red lines.

Anyone have any thoughts or lifespans please?

TIA
PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

If it's like my '18 229RB Zinger, it is a bypass so you don't fill the hot water tank with RV antifreeze. Rotate from the normal position and when you turn on the water pump, it should pump the antifreeze through hot & cold water lines, mine did.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Yep that should bypass hot water tank tank. Don’t forget toilet, shower, outside shower and low point drains. Drain water heater and fresh water tank.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Hello. On a 1 valve water heater bypass the valve has 3 sides or lines
1 Blue line - water supply cold
2 Blue line - bypass from supply to hot line "tee"
3 Short line to water heater inlet

So how does this work?
In normal mode water goes thru valve with handle in line with supply and water inlet to heater and out the heater outlet it does not go up the bypass line. When you turn handle on valve to the "Bypass" position the water comes in to the valve then exits out the bypass line to a "tee" in the hot outlet line it can not go back in to the water heater because there is a "check valve" at the water heater that only allows flow out of the heater. This allows anti freeze to flow into the hot water lines.

If you are using anti freeze to winterize you
1 open drain on water heater located outside and drain water heater leave this drain open
2 At your pump there should be a valve to add antifreeze. Turn that to the suction line that you put in the anti freeze jug and turn on pump
3 Run pump till anti freeze comes out of the water heater drain then turn your Bypass valve to the Bypass position -up and down-and do all the faucets and don't forget the outside shower and toilet.

This is mostly instructions on bypassing the water heater if you need more detailed instructions on winterizing just ask and you will get lots of help.

Happy Camping!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the reply and details. Ill be closing it up this weekend so we shall see? I dont recall seeing 3 lines in the 1 valve. But maybe I missed the 3rd line a little tight in there.

Thanks again everyone
Old 10-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Why do you suggest leaving the water heater drain open once it has been drained (and blown out)? We have a low point plug that I take out to drain it, I blow most of the remaining water out with compressed air and then put the plug back in for the winter.
Tom Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Hello Tom and welcome.

The reason to leave the drain plug out of the water heater is that when you de-winterize in the spring you would want to flush out the antifreeze that is in the water heater and not push it thru the hot water lines. It makes the process faster to just let the water heater flush out thru the drain.

That said I -personal preference - blow mine out so after I am sure there is no water left I close the drain plug.

Also which method you choose to use turn the bypass valves back to summertime setting. That way if your valves are hard to get to you do not have to access them twice.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone for the in put. Time will tell now. Its all closed up & I have no access to it so lets cross the fingers all good in Spring when its time to open.

On An Atwood Hot water tank with the plastic Plug has anyone replaces this with a Better Quality one? If so what kind since I believe the Tank is Aluminum in the Atwood's?

Im sure this was answered in another thread I cant find it of course.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Patty
This might be a tad too late if your camper is closed up, but my suggestion is if you have a friend that owns a camper ask them to walk you through the winterizing process... Or bring it to a RV dealer and pay to have it done while you watch or better yet film the process...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyV View Post
Thanks everyone for the in put. Time will tell now. Its all closed up & I have no access to it so lets cross the fingers all good in Spring when its time to open.

On An Atwood Hot water tank with the plastic Plug has anyone replaces this with a Better Quality one? If so what kind since I believe the Tank is Aluminum in the Atwood's?

Im sure this was answered in another thread I cant find it of course.
I took the plastic plug out and installed a hose bibb similar to this https://m.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VALV...ibb/1000330493 Much easier now, just open the spicket to drain the water out instead of trying to get that plastic plug in and out everytime.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Casper View Post
Why do you suggest leaving the water heater drain open once it has been drained (and blown out)? We have a low point plug that I take out to drain it, I blow most of the remaining water out with compressed air and then put the plug back in for the winter.
Tom, I just winterized with antifreeze for the first time since we moved to a colder location. I have never left my water heater plug open, but I’m not against it. If the winterrizing process is done correct, with the water heater valve closed upon wintetizing and de-winterizing process, it’s my understanding you will not get any, or very littl RV antifreeze in the tank. I guess if you do get residual in the tank flushing it would be a good idea. We don’t drink tap water in our trailer so, that part doesn’t concern me.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
Site Team

I have not used antifreeze in years but when I did I would run it into the water heater till it ran pink out the drain. So rather than screw the plug in then take it out again in the spring to flush the tank I just left it out then flushed the tank good till I saw no pink then put the plug in and flush the lines. That was the way I was told to do it years ago by a rv dealer.

Each camper is built different so find what works for yours and go with it. As I stated I personally do not use antifreeze and yes it takes me longer then if I did to blow it out but when I am done there is no water anywhere. I blowed mine out last week because the temp went into the upper 20s but still have reservations for the next 2 weekends so as they say just add water and I will be good to go

Happy Fall Camping!
Old 10-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

There is also a CHECK VALVE on the tank outlet that prevent the antifreeze from flowing into the tank from the HW line; GUESS THE ONE VALVE you see is a DIVERTER that closes cold going into tank and sends antifreeze to the HW line when you turn the valve.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote