Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a 2010 Cruiser fiver and just wondering about alignment issues. Since I have had it I have had to align my cruiser 3 times and replaced the tires once. The first time Crossroads paid for it under warranty. Right rear tire was down to steel threads and did not blow. Axle was bent and did not even take it out of state. Went to Florida in 2012 and had tire wear and got back home and found the front axles needed a little correction and then I put on 4 new tires, 10 ply. Go to Florida this year (2013) and just last week we were washing and waxing the RV and saw the tire was wearing on the right front axle on the outside. Take it to the place that does my alignment and they also found the left rear tire was wearing as well. Make a long story short the alignment was done again for a third time in 3 years and the tires I am suppose to get 8,000 to 10,000 miles on now the tech guy says maybe now you are looking at 5,000 to 8,000. The place I go is very good at what they do and they have said a lot of factors play into this. One thing mentioned was road conditions. Yes there are some crap roads out there but not bad enough in my mind to constantly bending the axles. I am starting to get frustrated and soured at this. Am I to assume that this is the nature of the beast? If you go cross country you are going to expect this of your axles? Buying tires new every 1 to 2 years is crazy. I have made this as short as I can but I feel I have left out some circumstances but enough of this as well. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

A lot of people have pull their trailers many thousands of miles over bad roads and never had to have axle alignments. I think you either have weak axles or you might want to find a different place to get them aligned. We have some friends that took their Cruiser to Alaska and back and put over 8k miles on it that trip with no axle or tire issues.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
A lot of people have pull their trailers many thousands of miles over bad roads and never had to have axle alignments. I think you either have weak axles or you might want to find a different place to get them aligned. We have some friends that took their Cruiser to Alaska and back and put over 8k miles on it that trip with no axle or tire issues.

I agree with Hunter11 if you have this problem again you may be wise to try a different source for your alingment.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
New Camper

Hello again,
I am not so sure that it is where I get the alignment done but maybe the weak axle suggestion might have some merit.
Back to where I get the alignment. I had this done like a said last summer and had 4 new tires put on. I noticed the wear this summer after putting on 3500 to 4000 mile on the tires. If it were where I am getting it aligned would I not have more of a problem that what I have now? Check RV,net and under my username (3fivers) and read some of their replies and see if you agree or can add to this problem of mine. Much appreciated!!!
Bill

3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Wow - there must be something else going on to give you this much troubl. Could upgrade to 7000 lb axles but that would require new wheels too - I think 7000 axles are 8 lug Vs 6 lug wheels on the 5200 lb axles.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

If you feel pretty confident in your alignment place then I would look at some of or all of the things below.</span>
</span>Overloaded</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb238, 238, 238;">Broken/weak spring supports</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb238, 238, 238;">Worn spring bushes</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb238, 238, 238;">Weakened u-bolts</span>
Weak Springs</span>

Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote