Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Angry Hot Water Heater Problems

Finally got the trailer out of storage. Going through the usual pre-checks. Lo and behold - water heater problem as follows: When I select Gas - the unit will fire up, I will get about 1/2 quart of hot water, then it will run cold. If I shut the gas switch off, and then try to restart - nothing - not even a click. If I wait a few hours - it will fire once - but will not shut off. I tried electrical, the water gets hot - but again - no great quantity. I have a call in to have it looked at - just no timing yet - our first trip out is this Friday (16 May). I de-winterized - since I get water into the heater - I am pretty certain all the valves are set right. Any tips or quick fixes in case the tech guy does not make it before Friday?

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you burp the heater? Open sink hot side and open relief valve on heater to let the air escape. Here's a link that might help you: http://blog.rvtrax.com/?tag=rv-hot-water-heaters

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Sounds like maybe your water heater tank is not properly filled. Are both the valves (intake and output valves) in open position - knobs parallel to pipes? With the pump on, or connected to municipal water, open the pressure relief valve for a second. Water should escape. If not I'd say your tank is not full. Maybe why limited hot water.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I cracked the pressure relief - lots of hot water. When I open the hot water tap inside - I get a good strong flow (with pump) of warm water for about 6 seconds - then it runs cold. I just tried the gas again - it started no problem.....Today I ran it on gas for over 30 mins - it did not cycle off....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
Retired Navy
Old 05-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Are you sure you got the bypass valves in the summer position????

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
This?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Ooops!

Thanks for your responses Mark. I checked the link to Atwood and noted the SECOND valve - which is apparently the bypass valve. I didn't winterize the trailer, so was unaware of the second valve and didn't look for it. I poked my head in the access door - craned my neck a bit and found it, changed it over - we are now back in the hot water business!!!!!
Thanks for the replies........

Now if only the Maxx Fan would work!!!!

Quote:

Roselyn and Darrell
Retired Navy
Old 05-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Site Team

Exclamation

Quote:
Now if only the Maxx Fan would work!!!!
Explain this problem.

Here's a link to Maxx Fan. It has a product support link if you know the model number.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Mark, there is absolutely no response from the wall switch. Nothing works, the fan won't come on, the lid won't open...Nada...

Roselyn and Darrell
Retired Navy
Old 05-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Site Team

I would go to the website, fill in your info "Request Product Support" and see what they say.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Warranty

I am impatient - I have an extended warranty. I have a call in for a service visit - but if it was something I could fix - I would do it. The dealer is good - but they sold a hockey-sock full of new trailers this winter and spring - so I think the service guys may be stretched a little thin.....

Quote:
I would go to the website, fill in your info "Request Product Support" and see what they say.

Roselyn and Darrell
Retired Navy
Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Site Team

Is there a remote for the Maxx Fan? I have a 4500 that I haven't installed yet, but I installed one in my previous TT. There is an on/off button on the remote.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Remote

There is a Lippert Remote - but it does not operate the Maxx Fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
Is there a remote for the Maxx Fan? I have a 4500 that I haven't installed yet, but I installed one in my previous TT. There is an on/off button on the remote.

Roselyn and Darrell
Retired Navy
Old 05-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
Site Team

OK, how about the thermostat? Have confirmed that it's set at a temp that will allow the fan to open and operate?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Temp

There is no Temp setting on the switch - only an "Auto" for I believe 78 degrees. Without indicator lights - there is no way to tell if it is "on". However, I pushed every button several times, disconnected the plug from the cct board - then reattached. Nothing. Me thinks the motor is shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
OK, how about the thermostat? Have confirmed that it's set at a temp that will allow the fan to open and operate?

Roselyn and Darrell
Retired Navy