Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Main Awning non typical length

I've been trying to replace my awning fabric. I finding that the forward extension arm is too short to use a common length awning fabric. Not sure where to go to buy a shorter than normal awning cover. thanks for any input.
08 cruiser 30SK 5er, solid surface counter tops, 400 watt solar system, 6k axles, dexter never adjust brakes, 16" LTs draging a hyde drift boat behind an 08 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4, Duramax-Ally, CCLB.
dbflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's one place that will cut to fit.

https://www.rvawningsmart.com/

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
Site Team

By length do you mean from the awning rail to the roller or from the front arm to the rear arm? You referenced the front arm length so i am thinking from the rail to the roller. I just replaced my awning last year and have the short front arm as it is a 5th wheel and it was a 8 ft extension x 16 ft long - not sure on the length but that sounds correct. For the front to back measurement do not measure the fabric but from the center of the arm to the center of the arm. Do you know what brand of awning you have?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I think I may have my terminology wrong on my first post. Yes it's on a 5r and the length is 13' The distance from the rail (on camper) to the first roller rope slot is 78" I believe I do have enough arm length to go to 82" (Possibly called height/extension). All I've found so far on the net is 8Ft nominal height/extension or what they say is (94-96) This is with RV awnings mart. I'm now trying to contact Shade Pro but no answer so far.
08 cruiser 30SK 5er, solid surface counter tops, 400 watt solar system, 6k axles, dexter never adjust brakes, 16" LTs draging a hyde drift boat behind an 08 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4, Duramax-Ally, CCLB.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I think my problem has been solved. I dealt with a company named Shade Pro in California and they said that the short extension length on my awning is rare but not unheard of. They are going to make one up for me at no additional charge and ship it on Monday. I thought that was unbelievable service. I'll chime back in once I receive the new awning fabric to let you know if it all ends up right.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Glad you got it figured out. Last year we replaced a A&E awning with a Solera Hybrid. Both with short front arms and the Solera has short arms in the rear also. Both had the standard extension awning 8ft. Just curious what brand of awning you have.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

My awning is an A&E 8500. Now that I know a little more about these things I think the reason for the short extension length is due to the rail being installed about a foot below the top of the usable wall, it is reachable from the ground. If it was all the way up you might have to stand on a foot stool to operate the up/down toggle. As is I only need about 6" more height to allow long enough main and secondary rafter length for the 8ft extension. Since we found the right company we just decided to stay as is rather than make the mod to fit the 8ft extension. I actually found all the parts I needed on ebay but the cost would have gone over $200 and then we also would have had a scar from moving the rail higher. I like the older 8500 awning because it supports a sun/wind screen that zips on to the roller and will stand up to about a 20 MPH wind.