Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

so we have this great trip planned for yellowstone in June of this year. I'm sure someone has gone in from the east gate into yellowstone through Cody.so the question is that there is two routes to take off of 90 from BuffaloWy.One is directly from Buffalo ontoRt 16 a reallywindy looking road with elavation reaching at 9,666 thenhitting N.into16/20 which runs into 14 at GreyBull then road turns left traveling west to Cody! The other way is to stay on 90 from Buffalo to Ranchesterthen hitting West on14 again winding roads however elavation reaches9,033 which still runs into GreyBull then onto Cody. Our AAA trip plans says to take the first route however I'm not sure about that as it is designed for more car travel than RV travel. We are pulling our 30 ft cruisertravel traile r with our Ford F150. Thanks Karen & Larry
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

We too have that trip planned but in August.
Can't wait to see the reply from others.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Site Team

I prefer the 1st route. We have done just about every way there is into Yellowstone. No matter which one you choose, there is going to be mts. and lots of elevation.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to BTreick
As a resident of WY and a owner of a 29RK Crossroad trailer, I would never take the Ranchester Rt. Very steep hills and sharp switch backs. Go the other route and enjoy a great malt at Dirty Sally's in Ten Sleep and then at the route junction in Thermopolis, enjoy the worlds largest hot springs at the Hot Springs State Park, soak your sore back in the hot mineral pools. Your next stop should be in Metetsee, a small town with a great fudge shop. When in Cody, plan a full day at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. Cody is a great town with lots of things to do and they have a great KOA Campground. Book early for Cody, gateway to Yellowstone. Enjoy your trip.
Bob
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

also dont miss the shoot out in the street infront of the hotel,while in cody,make reservations now for fishing bridge rv park in yellowstone

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #6

Never been but sounds great. Safe RVing to you.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

PLEASE DO NOT take 14A with your RV. For 20+ years it was our

favorite route west while driving our van. We have witnessed folks coming down

the west slope with smoke boiling from each wheel well. There are plenty of

crosses and broken glass to mark the tragedy of others.</span>

Hwy 16 west from Buffalo

(Powder Pass) is beautiful and gentler that Hwy 14. Buffalo is a fun little

town; there is the Sports Lure sports shop, Hitching Post gift shop, the

Occidental Hotel (bullet holes in the back bar - haunt of Calamity Jane), Don's

Rock Shop (elk ivory), Gatchel Museum. Sherriff Red Angus rode out of Buffalo

to put an end to the Johnson County Range War invasion force; if you are a SASS

member there is a monthly shootout.</span>

At the summit of Powder

Pass take a hike South over the hill there will be two stands of rock loaded

with Marmots, if you continue over the next hill you will have a beautiful view

of the Bighorn Basin. (You may be trespassing at this point).</span>

Once over the Bighorns stop

into Historic Ten Sleeps at Dirty Sally's for a Huckleberry Shake. There will be a Quilt shop,

Dans Western wear and a museum in Greybull. On to Cody and the nightly shootout

at the Irma Hotel (the bar in Irma's was a gift from the Queen of England to Col Cody), nightly Rodeo after June 1st and supper at the Proud Cut

Saloon. The Buffalo Bill Historical Center is a world class museum with 5 wings of American treasures.</span>When we are in a hurry to reach YNP we stick to the Interstate system to Livingston and then South to Gardiner and into YNP. This is any easier pull but with less adventure and close up scenery.Have Fun</span>Kamper Dave</span>
</span>
Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Tuscany,
Please keep checking with YNP concerning road closures. Last years heavy snows and flooding caused late openings and unexpected closings.

Last year the East entrance was temporarily closed and then open nightly, this due to snow avalanches. I guess they figured the nightly cold re-froze the snow?

When we take Dead Indian Pass between YNP and Cody via the Silver Gate into YNP, we take it form YNP to Cody. It seems to be an easier pull in that direction or at least it is concentrated into one area. it is another beautiful route with moose and grizzlies, sometimes in conflict.

KD
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I want to thank everyone who has given us lots of sugggestions on our planned route to the East gate of Yellowstone!!! It's always great to read the reviews especiall when it concerns mountain driving! If there is any further info please write us. See all at the July Rally in Indiana this year can't wait to see our old friends &amp; and of course mmet new one too!!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

thanks again on that reply we will stick to 16 our of Buffalo ai'm looking up campgrounds in Thermopolis I always love a good soak in mineral baths!!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to BTreick
As a past resident of Thermopolis, I will give you more information about the area. There are two campgrounds, Eagle Campgrounds and Fountain of Youth. The eaglervpark.com park is very nice but a little tight for bigger trailers but nice people and facility. The fountainofyouthrvpark.com is a little rougher and is next to a railroad track, the pros for this facility is it has it's own large hot pool and is free for the campers. There is two nice commercial pool facilities and the State Bath House. The state site is basically free compared to the other commercial pools. One of best places to eat other than your campsite is at the Legion Town &amp; Country Club. It is a public golf course but has a great place to eat. Hope this helps. Bob
Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Yep it does thanks again!!!!

Karen
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Okay so here is the complete opposite in camping inthe west so we might go the east Niagara Falls. anyone been there camping at the KOA (north) seems like it is nice haoweve doen't have a pool listed in the amenities!! This is a plan just incase our Yellowstone trip is going to be canceled because of high gas prices in June. since we live in the midwest (Il) East might be closer!!! I do have our campground booked at fishing bridge &amp; a cabin as well!! which gives us a window of 48 hr to cancel. I'm trying to cover as many options!!! Karen
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

been to both and if there is a chance-go to yellowstone and grand teton.the falls are nice but everyone needs to go to yellowstone at least once,nothing like it anywhere

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Thanks, karen &amp; larry
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Hey Karen,
I don't know how long you guys planned to spend in Yellowstone but seen you have reservations at Fishing Bridge. I'm assuming you would be taking I-90 and think it's shorter to go to the east entrance. It is, but unless you have driven and towed thru mountains, I would recommend going into Montana and entering thru Gardiner or West Yellowstone. There are benefits to this and I'll send you a PM if you wish. As to fuel prices determining where you go is up to you but once in Yellowstone you can control your expenses. My best advice would be to go directly to your campsight and explore after your set up.
Best of luck!
Brian
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Brian, we are also considering a yellowstone trip and would be very interested in a PM regarding your routing info.

Karen, we did Niaggra Falls in 2006. About a 550 mile trip. We stayed at the Niagra Falls Yogi Bear Park. Nice place and close in. Grandkids loved it. If you do Niagra Falls cross into Canada at Port Huron, easier than Detroit.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Brian,
Our family too is making the trip. Coming from Minnesota.
Please PM me also....
Suddenly its not so private.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

You can send me a PM that would be nice Karen
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Yes your right seems likemany of us are planning the same trip however;we are traveling from Palatine Ill this was planned earlyon fora weeks campingtrip in Yellowstone like I said I have covered many bases on this trip.In makingyour reservations callearlythrough Reserve America for any Np or lodging in the NP . I called two weeks for the Fishing Bridge for our reservationdate of June 14 - 18 there were only 48 sites open!!! the cabinwas reserved for the same time slot it's nearOld Faithful back in the fall. It hasNo kitchen soNo cooking except for outside. I asked if we could bring a small mirco wave inside &amp; the said no only a coffe pot!we have 48 hr to cancel any of the reservations without a penalty. Karen