Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
New Camper

We are new Zinger owners, buying a 2008 Zinger ZT29DB in August 2010. It is semi-permanently locatedat a seasonalcampground (upper midwest), levelled out with blocks and jacks. Twice sincepurchasing it, we have been contacted by the campground owner to report that our entry door is standing open. Ihave beenvery careful about locking the door when we leave, pulling on it to make sure it does not open. When we arrived to open it this year, we found the campground owner (great guy!) had used a couple boards, along with thewooden staircaseto gently keep it from opening. Taking away the boards, the door was locked - could not pull it open. We are at a loss as to why it has happened twice. One person told us it could be a levelling problem.It might just be an adjustment to the lock, but then I wonder why I still could not pull it open. Have thought of previous owner keeping key (no evidence of use); critters (would have to be smart enough to understand deadbolt to open it but then would not be able to key it shut), and no evdience of critters. Will be sure to push door shut tight to engage deadbolt latch every time, but just wondering if leveling is a possibility?
rdbadger356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
jwb
Weekend Camper

Just curious as to where your located. Where we are, frost in the ground can move small areas as much as a foot or more. The trailer could be twisting a bit if it is frost, then going back to level in the late spring. That could explain why the door is locked and secure when you went to see it. Just a thought anyway.

2011 CF335SS Cruiser Provincial

2011 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
New Camper

We are located in south central Wisconsin.

Thanks for the thought on frost movement; however,the times the door was found to beopenwere once in late September and then again in early November, so I don't believe frost movement would have been likely (despite what my friends in the south might say about Wisconsin weather!)
Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Do you still have the wheels and tires on? If so, how much weight did you leave on them, or not leave on them?
You stated you leveled with blocks. If you removed the tires and didn't support in that area it might be why your rig is twisting. Are you on a cement or gravel pad, or is it just dirt? If you don't have a pad it's pretty hard to keep them level.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
New Camper

The unit was located at its present site when we purchased it. It is not on a cement or gravel pad, wheels and tires are still on but are supported there. The previous owners purchased it new, had it levelled by the dealer when it was delivered. That would have been in July of 2008. From what I am sensing from replies to my post, sounds like the leveling could be the problem why the door is popping open, although no one is specifically saying that.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
Site Team

If the your rig is twisted/twisting from not being level---yes, it can be the reason the door is popping open.
If you have a level, check it out.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I know I have had to play with our locks on the cargo door as often times we think it is locked and then pull on it when just one is done and it will open. We have to push it in a little farther and then the dead bolt lock will hold. Then we push again and lock the handle lock. This has worked well but our door has never spontaneously opened however we do have a slight sag to the door.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Never thought anything about it until now, but about a month ago, after a bad thunderstorm, my wife said that when she got home the TT door was open. I had been in it earlier and I know that I shut and locked the door (not the deadbolt). I brushed it off as maybe I did not shut it good or something. Now it makes me wonder.

1999 Silverado 2500 6.0L

2011 Zinger ZT27BH [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i883.photobucket.com/albums/a...CIMG0056-1.jpg
nc_medic1 is offline   Reply With Quote