Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We have a ZT25SB 2011 Zinger TT. We had Camping World install a slide topper awning. When we activate the slide to push it OUT, the bottom glides out rather smoothly but the top seems to go out in jolts. It stops moving for a second, then jumps out, then stops, then jumps to keep up with the bottom, until it finally jumps out and bumps against the top wall of the TT. I was not sure if the slide topper had too much tension and was holding the top from a smooth move or if others were experiencing this same phenomenon? I don't recall if the one time we put out the slide before the topper was installed was smooth or not. With the slide out, I climbed on a step ladder and, with two hands, can rotate the topper roll a quarter turn to loosen the tension which seems not to be enough to cause the slide from smooth operation. All of you with Zinger slides, does your slide move out smoothly at the top?

Jim B
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Although not a Zinger I had this same problem with our '05 CF29RK Cruiser. Turns out that the awning arms were mounted too close to the wall of the slideout and the awning was binding along the top edge of the slide. Check to see if the awning material is rubbing on the top edge of your slide. If it is then Camping World needs to put a shim between the arm and the side of the trailer. This will allow sufficient room between the awning material and the top of the slide so that it will not bind.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I will check this out but I can't picture the "ARMS" of the awning. I could if we were talking about the regular awning but I don't know of any "arms" on the topper awning. But, I will watch the slide go out while someone else is activating the switch and see if I can detect anything like you describe. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Gball
You were absolutely "right on". One side of my topper roll was rubbing on the outside of the outer wall of the slide out. I loosened the screws and put wooden shims behind the mount which pulled the roll away from the wall. The slide now works correctly. The awning material has a line of worn fabric on it and, in some places, is worn right thru the fabric. It is not temporarily fixed but I will need to work out a permanent solution. Thank you, Thank you. This forum is invaluable.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I would suggest that you take it back to Camping World and have them install the shims and replace the awning fabric under warranty. From your description it appears that the awning was not installed properly.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I agree, bring it back and complain. If this was Camping World of Concord you're not the first with issues I've read....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote