Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Furnace Check today

I'm prepping for a trip in a few weeks and figured I'd better check the heating system out just in case Mother Nature throws a curve down here in south Texas.
I've had the unit for about 9 months, but have never needed to use it.

It's 39 degrees outside today, good day to test. I turned on the furnace, hear it light, adjusted the fans to auto and let it run, thinking I'm good as the inside temp started to rise by a few degrees.... Then the funny smell you get when a furnace starts to get stronger...then I'm greeted by the smoke alarm going off, scaring the crap out of me! I immediately shut off the furnace and turned off the gas. No visible signs of smoke or fire, After opening the door to turn off the gas and it stopped.

Could this just be the dust that settles or could something serious be going on?

I don't have my all my slides extended, actually only have the main side extended about halfway and can go any further, as there is a concrete pillar next to me in the storage lot. I can see 3 uncovered heat registers, Wondering if one is covered, how many registers should there be?
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

It is certainly possible that dust in the furnace and in the duct work and smoke from dust/spider webs on the outside of the burner chamber will give the results you have seen. Especially if the unit has never been operated before.

So, you may not have an issue. You can remove the battery from the smoke detector, or even take the detector outside. Leave some windows open. Restart the furnace and let it run for 5-10 min. Then start all over.

Some owners will run the furnace with all slides closed while towing on the road, so no need to worry about that.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you have never had the furnace run before, than the smoke is Oil being burned off from the Burners. It happen on both of my units. The first time we were camping and like you I though fire, but the good thing there was another person there and told us what was going on. When we got the Cruiser one of the first things I did was light the furnace off once more smoke ad the smoke alarm went off. I opened the windows and let it run for about a half an hour all was fine.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Larry for putting my mind at ease.
I restarted the furnace and all is well, warmed up to 60 from 42 in about an hour. Seems to be working well now.
Next time I'll know to open a window or two the first time I use it.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:36 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Funny, I just opened my new unit yesterday (been too cold up here in NH to do it earlier) and ran my furnace for the first time too. I was expecting the fire alarm to go off too because that's what happened my last two trailers. But to my surprise, no smoke or alarm. When the tech walked me through it he said they ran the furnaces at the factory so there should be little or no smoke. I looked at him and thought "oh year, really?". He was right.