Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello All,
We have just sold our Jayco and are planning to buy a ST26RB. We pulled our Jayco with a Yukon, but that won't work for the Sunset Trails, so we will also get a different tow vehicle.

What are you towing with. what tow setup do you have, and do you have enough power for mountains (We live in North Carolina)

Also, is there anything about the 2014 (especially design /fix) that would make it a "must have" over the 2013?

Sure appreciate your responses!
Homecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have a 2013 ST25RB and was pulling it w/ a 2010 Avalanche 1500. Couldn't handle the hills so I recently bought a 2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax 6.6Lw/ Allison transmission.Makes all the difference in the world as far as pulling power. Also allows significantly higher payload than the Avalanche. The vehiclehas automatic sway control built inbut I still use an EAZ lift elite W/D hitch w/ sway control. I do not have an ounce of sway w/ this setup and it pulls great.

I think the 2014's have a slight floor plan modification but beyond that, I'm not sure of any "must have" differences. Enjoy!
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

We have a Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi with full trailer package and a Reese anti sway hitch and we pull a Sunset Reserve 25 RB and it does a great job even with kayaks and bikes in the truck bed. The ram gets about 12 to 13 mpg pulling the trailer at about 55 to 60 mph.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

towing a zinger that is lighter than the TT you are looking at. mine weighed 5700 lbs Dry and scales in at 7000 lbs loaded. I'm also in NC (alamance county). I used to tow with a Nissan armada but upgraded to an F250 diesel after struggling going to and from Asheville and struggling in the va mountains as well (not to mention getting pushed down the 7% grade). Of course we also white knuckled going to myrtle beach and to local campgrounds with that setup. Traded for the diesel and never looked back. I ave since towed the same va mountain with the diesel and it never knew the TT was back there going up or down. I am currently sitting at fort wilderness in Fl. The F250 loved towing the TT all the way down here for me.I highly recommend you go 3/4 ton or 1 ton whether you go gas or diesel. just make sure you go HD and double check your payloads. You will probably be at least 8000 lbs loaded which means a tongue weight of at least 1040-1200 lbs. A ford HD ecoboost might be able to handle that TT but I would still go bigger. Also think about any future trailer purchases since everyone tends to keep going bigger.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
New Camper

Thanks much for sharing - we were looking at the F150 ecoboost. We were in the borderline mode when we had a popup - experience is a good teacher. When you live where we do, you want enough truck.
Homecrew is offline   Reply With Quote