Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Terror in Florida.....!!!!

So, I'm assuming we've all done the dance after walking through an unseen spiders web right?

Well, I've just done something similar, but with a bit more terror attached. (for me anyway)

I've been considering adding a couple of those rear bumper braces to strengthen my standard 4" square rear bumper tube which has attached to it the obligatory spare tire from the factory.

Before ordering I need to take a measurement and see what type of chassis they're attached to.

Tape measure in hand, I reach down and plant my spare hand at the end of the bumper tube for support while I crouch down and take the measurement.

The plastic cap is firmly on the bumper but peering out the square hole is what I thought was a 'dirt dauber'. These rather large flying insects build nests of spit and dirt in pretty much any shaded place they can find. They are solitary, typically not aggressive and rarely sting people.

However, this turned out not to be a dirt dauber but the gate guardian of an entire battalion of really nasty hornets who didn't appreciate me leaning on their nice tubular residence.

They exited in single file like paratroopers from a C130 and chased me back into the house.

I let them settle for about an hour then aerosol can in hand I returned to annihilate the scary little blighters. I shot a 5 -10 second blast directly into the hole then ran like hell, again.

This time they spewed out like a drunken hen party from a stretch limo. (I know you guys can visualize this) Thankfully they didn't seem too interested in me, cowering, ready to run some 20 feet away.

NOTE...Ladies, I apologize for the above sexist comment. Please feel free to substitute 'beered up fishermen' climbing off a boat'

I'm back inside now waiting for the chemicals to take their full effect, I'll give them an hour or so then venture back outside can in hand, and let them have another blast before hosing their apartment complex out of my bumper tomorrow.

If there's anything worth seeing I'll post a photo or two.

I predict a couple of squares of screen fabric and some silicone sealant are in my future.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Laughing out loud. I can see myself doing the same thing.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Be thankful that you can still run fast enough!
Old 10-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Already have screens on mine....

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Aside from the corpses littered across the ground, this is what was inside my bumper cap.

A marvel of entomological engineering.

Not much I hear you say, but trust me, yesterday was their thanksgiving day. They had the relatives over from the neighbors shed, and that rabble from across the road who live up in the soffit.

Thanks for looking..
Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Thanks for sharing. I'll be thinking about this every time I take the end cap off from now on.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Was passing CW with a $15.00 off any item voucher burning a hole in my pocket.....

Narrowly avoided buying a used Class 'A' diesel pusher, but figured the additional $199,985.00 dollars I'd need to find might just tip Mrs. R over the edge so settled on this and some other goodies, spent a total of $4.23 cash, thanks Mr Lemonis.

Grin........
Old 10-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
Was passing CW with a $15.00 off any item voucher burning a hole in my pocket.....

Narrowly avoided buying a used Class 'A' diesel pusher, but figured the additional $199,985.00 dollars I'd need to find might just tip Mrs. R over the edge so settled on this and some other goodies, spent a total of $4.23 cash, thanks Mr Lemonis.

Grin........
I have had these on my bumper for 6 years, and I've never gotten any flying insects inside the bumper.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

thanks for the giggle!

years ago I had the same thing. I just put tape over the opposite end and used a garden hose to fill the tube.....
i believe these buggers deserve a slow death.....
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
So, I'm assuming we've all done the dance after walking through an unseen spiders web right?

Well, I've just done something similar, but with a bit more terror attached. (for me anyway)

I've been considering adding a couple of those rear bumper braces to strengthen my standard 4" square rear bumper tube which has attached to it the obligatory spare tire from the factory.

Before ordering I need to take a measurement and see what type of chassis they're attached to.

Tape measure in hand, I reach down and plant my spare hand at the end of the bumper tube for support while I crouch down and take the measurement.

The plastic cap is firmly on the bumper but peering out the square hole is what I thought was a 'dirt dauber'. These rather large flying insects build nests of spit and dirt in pretty much any shaded place they can find. They are solitary, typically not aggressive and rarely sting people.

However, this turned out not to be a dirt dauber but the gate guardian of an entire battalion of really nasty hornets who didn't appreciate me leaning on their nice tubular residence.

They exited in single file like paratroopers from a C130 and chased me back into the house.

I let them settle for about an hour then aerosol can in hand I returned to annihilate the scary little blighters. I shot a 5 -10 second blast directly into the hole then ran like hell, again.

This time they spewed out like a drunken hen party from a stretch limo. (I know you guys can visualize this) Thankfully they didn't seem too interested in me, cowering, ready to run some 20 feet away.

NOTE...Ladies, I apologize for the above sexist comment. Please feel free to substitute 'beered up fishermen' climbing off a boat'

I'm back inside now waiting for the chemicals to take their full effect, I'll give them an hour or so then venture back outside can in hand, and let them have another blast before hosing their apartment complex out of my bumper tomorrow.

If there's anything worth seeing I'll post a photo or two.

I predict a couple of squares of screen fabric and some silicone sealant are in my future.
I'm losing it.... You spin a good yarn, my friend!
Old 10-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I learned my lesson this year, house wrens, found the nest 2 days before i dragged up. I figured they moved in while I was at work during the week.20190713_131622.jpg20190713_131527.jpg20190713_125717.jpg
Wyldink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldink View Post
I learned my lesson this year, house wrens, found the nest 2 days before i dragged up. I figured they moved in while I was at work during the week.Attachment 4078Attachment 4079Attachment 4080
I bet you very un-popular with Jenny Wren!! Did she give you hell every time you walked by for the next two weeks?
Old 11-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Dave View Post
Be thankful that you can still run fast enough!

Fast enough from the Hornets......or the Women ????
Collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Hornets can be nasty little buggers.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Collin,

I let the women catch me, I just can't remember why?

If you listen carefully you can probably hear my wife laughing...