Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

2017 289qb leaking

New trailer already sprung a leak. Had heavy rains here in MD prior to the weekend. Today while standing in the driveway, everything has since dried out, I noticed a wet spot on the rear bumper of our month old 289qb. Crawl underneath and the black tarp is sagging with water and dripping where a wire goes through.

I cut 4 breather holes in the tarp to let the water escape and it gushed out.

I began checking everything...all the marker and brake lights look good. I crawled up on the roof and checked piss poor rear roof edge seal and on the drivers side corner noticed a gap in the caulk at the 90deg corner.

Went inside to the rear bunk room and pulled the light and cable outlet apart all the insulation in the middle appears dry. Nothing soaking through the interior walls either. Pulled the heater vent and looked into the underbelly and there's a small puddle of water nothing major.

At my best guesses I believe the failure point is that caulk fail at the top rear corner. I applied a healthy layer of Dicor to seal the hole and plan to do a test after it cures.

The only area soaked is the bottom edge of the rear wall and the bottom of the interior luan wall where it extends to the tarp. I cut the 4 breather holes open 2"x2" so the wood drys out.

I also made sure to take video and photos before I did anything.

Can anyone think of anything i'm missing where this thing could be taking on water? If i've solved the issue does anyone see a reason to waste weeks taking it to dealer to be checked?

I attached a few photos of the issue.

Anyone with a new sunset trail I recommend checking out that rear roof seal.

Safe travels!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2788.jpg (191.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png IMG_2793.PNG (1.67 MB, 15 views)
File Type: png IMG_2794.PNG (1.63 MB, 14 views)
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Am I understanding you right. Is it the black membrane under the unit that was sagging. If so it could be a pipe beneath the unit. If you take the screws out along the side underneath that hold the membrane in place you will see pipes or where it's coming from. If I misunderstood you, I'm sorry.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

So the unit has been sitting in our driveway dry with no water hooked up for the last 5 weeks so I going to lean towards it's not pipe related and more toward a seal/roof leak. I checked all the sink and tub piping and nothing obvious leaking from what's visible.

Yes the sagging was the black tarp/membrane and once drained it hasn't continued dripping and appears to be drying out.

The black tarp in the picture is the underside of the very rear of the unit just above the bumper where the rear wall meets the bottom.

At the corner is a piece of boxed aluminum where the inner luan and outside wall meet and are secured. not sure what piping would be back there all plumbing fixtures are way forward of this area.

I'm not trying to disprove your comment just talking my way through what I see on the unit in response.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Just wondering if your nose high in the front it could be running down the membrane to the rear. Also do you have water in your fresh tank that could be leaking. Just throwing out suggestions. And very well could be the roof you recalked that wasn't done right at factory.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Good thoughts...i am a tad nose high i will definitely take a second look on the piping issue with that insight. Thanks again PapaT
Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I think the black tarp is the black typar wrap. Not the black coroplast that is screwed to the bottom of the I-beam frame.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:58 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think the black tarp is the black typar wrap. Not the black coroplast that is screwed to the bottom of the I-beam frame.

Yes that's it....it's an actual tarp like material that wraps the bottom.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

If you drive in heavy rain, water can get into the underside of your trailer through the slide mechanism holes in the frame just from water coming off the tires. Something else to consider.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote