Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

After hooking up to city water (rather than using the pump) I had very low pressure at all the faucets.

I went back to the pump andhad good output-until now. Cold is still good but I'm getting no hot output from the water heater. The water heater is full and the water inside is hot-This part of the phenomena started after winterization. If I leave the lower valve at what appears to be closed I get a small trickle of hot water (pressure relief) and if I open the lower valve I get good pressure from both cold & hot butthe hot isn't.

I've tried every combination of those two valves (the upper valve knob was installed at 45 degrees so the normal "cross is off, in-line is on" isn't working for me.

Is there something in the city water connection that could have been forced somewhere it doesn't belong that would inhibit the hot water making it out of the heater?

Thank goodness I can still take a shower but the wife and grandkids are screaming when the water touches them-kind of fun but the neighbors are giving me funny looks (last night in Tucumcari NM and tonight @ the Crater in Winslow).

Thanks for keeping calls from 911 dispatch!!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
JimS,

There is nothing that you need to change when you use the city connection vs. the pump. The water flows through the same pipes to/from the hot water tank.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Your water flow is a function of the system pressure. It's possible the "city" water pressure is low where you were staying.

Check my picture of the valve configurations. It should be the same on you trailer.

If you have your valves set in the "summer" mode, and you're still getting little or no hot water, then it's possible that the check valve at the top of your WH tank is stuck shut.

Try this suggestion. First, ensure that the valving is in the summer mode. Turn on a hot water tap. If the check valve is stuck, there shouldn't be all that much water flowing. Use a wrench handle or the like and tap the side of the check valve to see if it'll come free. If that doesn't work then you're very likely are going to have to replace it. They're relatively inexpensive and should be available at Home Depot.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We ran into a problem with low pressure while on city water. Turned out the pressure regulator we were using was going bad and was cutting off flow almost completely.

Luckily we had a spare. (Don't ask)

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

The answers about the low local pressure must have been the problem (it looked good coming out of the hose).

I pulled the check valve-the plunger had nothing holding it back from moving forward in the valve and it was choking off the water almost completely-THANK YOU George! For now I removed the plunger and will look fora replacement ASAP.

DE W5OMGEdited by: JimS in TX
Old 07-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We had the same problem last year. here is the post:

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...;PID=9168#9168

https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks, same parts missing, do they dissolve?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Jim, it may be a sediment build up in your water heater. Pull out the drain plug on the exterior side of your water heater, let it drain. With all faucets off and valves closed back flush the heater several times. You may need the small water heater flush kit from CW. it's not much and works well. Sometimes the sediment can break loose and clog the heck out of your faucets, just a thought.

Flyone
Flyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks Flyone, I have one of those CW wands and used it once last year-it was like a quarry coming back out thru the drain-I'll use it at least once a year from now on.