Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NH
Posts: 344
Awning woes continue

Posted earlier this year that the 11 foot awning on the slide of our 2016 Cruiser 315RL had failed. Bought 5er used from everyone's favorite super store, CW. No surprise that six months and a couple visits later and still no resolution. Had to purchase new awning motor out of pocket. The LCI Solera electric awnings are useless without a working motor. No override, but at least if they don't come in, you can use a cordless drill.

So just for further aggravation the second awning failed just like the first. The 14 foot awning on the main body. Same exact problem, goes out, won't come back in. I have been working with LCI who are graciously sending me a "goodwill replacement motor". Additionally the motor I already replaced is failing, so I have two useless awnings. This doesn't fix the problem though and I don't want to budget $400 a year for awning motors.

I've been told these motors don't like cold. Well it was 75 degrees out when both failed. I'm getting 12 volts to motor when plugged in to shore power in both the in and out position. The motors seem to fail when they have a load on them because the one I took off works just fine in both directions when I add 12 volts to them. I've also been told the fabric may not be square or the tension on the bolts in the adjustment arms may be off and should be torqued to 70 pounds.

I've written to Crossroads customer service. The coach is supposed to have a 2 year warranty. I don't think expecting awnings to be functional for more than 5 months is too much to ask.

Is anyone else having these failures with their awnings? Anyone have any suggestions in the mean time? I'm not bringing it back to the hacks at CW and paying them a ton of money to have them tell me they fixed it.
__________________
2016 Cruiser 315RL
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch diesel SRD

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 43
I do not have an issue with my awning however I thought I would send to you an idea on how to look into this further which may help your cause.

If you put an amp meter in series with the motor when functioning you could tell where in the stow away process your motor is being over worked. You will see where in the cycle your motor draws more current which will tell you where in the awning the problem occurs. This may point to a sticking issue in the roll up tube or in the awning arms themselves. Your installation of the awning my be skewed not allowing a smooth roll up.

Just a thought.
__________________
2017 Rezerve 32SB
2008 Ram 3500 DWD
Wildasindrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NH
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildasindrive View Post
I do not have an issue with my awning however I thought I would send to you an idea on how to look into this further which may help your cause.

If you put an amp meter in series with the motor when functioning you could tell where in the stow away process your motor is being over worked. You will see where in the cycle your motor draws more current which will tell you where in the awning the problem occurs. This may point to a sticking issue in the roll up tube or in the awning arms themselves. Your installation of the awning my be skewed not allowing a smooth roll up.

Just a thought.
Thanks, that's a good idea. I think the fact that both awnings are failing in the same manner is a bigger issue. A technician at LCI suggested I may need to run a heavier gauge wire from the panel inside to the motors. Is he kidding me? Chasing wires through walls? I can do a lot of stuff, but that is above my capabilities.

We are going seasonal again next year. If I don't get any help with it, I will probably put them out and stake them to the ground open for the season. I bought a truck so we could visit a couple different places so I will just use the drill to being them in at the seasonal site and not use them if we go somewhere for a weekend. Even though they are convenient, (and kinda cool, I"m a gadget guy), I really would prefer manual awnings.
__________________
2016 Cruiser 315RL
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch diesel SRD

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 43
Actually that isn't a bad idea to run large gauge wire. However I would run the wire as a test first. Attach the wire to the source and lay it on the ground with the other end to the motor. This would prove a wire issue if it does exist and answer your questions. If everything is the same just hook it back up. I hate electrical issues, sometimes they are the hardest to diagnose.
__________________
2017 Rezerve 32SB
2008 Ram 3500 DWD
Wildasindrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper
 
Russb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildasindrive View Post
Actually that isn't a bad idea to run large gauge wire. However I would run the wire as a test first. Attach the wire to the source and lay it on the ground with the other end to the motor. This would prove a wire issue if it does exist and answer your questions. If everything is the same just hook it back up. I hate electrical issues, sometimes they are the hardest to diagnose.
I agree with this. If the awning works using the drill then binding shouldn't be the problem. I'd be leaning towards an electrical issue.
__________________
Russ
Forney,TX
2010 Cruiser CTX CT29RLX
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NH
Posts: 344
Good idea to use a heavier gauge wire on the outside to see if that moves the motors. Doesn't make sense that they work fine for months then stop working. I'll see if I can try a larger diameter wire. Right now I can't open the awnings because of where it's parked. I have to move it again before winter, so I will try the larger wire and report back. If it is the wire, I'm not sure how I would snake the larger wire through the walls.
__________________
2016 Cruiser 315RL
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch diesel SRD

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member
 
SJSS Slingshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: LA
Posts: 121
I don't know if your motor is built inside the awning tube like mine is, but if it is I would look where the motor wires run from the awning rail to the motor. I only had my used camper for a week in March, when the awning would not retract. After inspection found the retract wire shorted where it make a 90 degree turn into the motor. Had to get a new motor, and after installing, made sure they would not rub inside the awning tube.

But if I remember your previous post on this, I think your motor is outside the awning tube, and not like mine. Is that correct?
__________________
2012 Cross Roads M19 Slingshot
2011 Chevy Traverse LT
1999 Chevy Silverado

Happy Camping Yall
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NH
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSS Slingshot View Post
I don't know if your motor is built inside the awning tube like mine is, but if it is I would look where the motor wires run from the awning rail to the motor. I only had my used camper for a week in March, when the awning would not retract. After inspection found the retract wire shorted where it make a 90 degree turn into the motor. Had to get a new motor, and after installing, made sure they would not rub inside the awning tube.

But if I remember your previous post on this, I think your motor is outside the awning tube, and not like mine. Is that correct?
My awning motor is on the outside. I suspect the type you have is a better unit. I think the only benefit to my type is the ability to bring it in manually.

Seeing as I've had two fail, actually 3 if you count the replacement motor I've already put in, I'm surprised there aren't more posts about the problem.

Maybe I use it too much? Shouldn't be a problem in 2 season's usage. I don't leave the awnings out if there is a high wind. I will leave them out in heavy rain if I am at the camper. I bring them in when we leave camp every weekend and if we are going to be gone for a few hours and there is a storm expected. My most recent campsite was more protected from wind so that wasn't as big a concern. The site before that was more in the open and wind would hit the awning and if it was strong enough I could feel it inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg defective motor 1.jpg (116.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg defective motor volts 1.jpg (113.9 KB, 10 views)
__________________
2016 Cruiser 315RL
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch diesel SRD

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper
 
Russb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRN View Post
My awning motor is on the outside. I suspect the type you have is a better unit. I think the only benefit to my type is the ability to bring it in manually.

Seeing as I've had two fail, actually 3 if you count the replacement motor I've already put in, I'm surprised there aren't more posts about the problem.

Maybe I use it too much? Shouldn't be a problem in 2 season's usage. I don't leave the awnings out if there is a high wind. I will leave them out in heavy rain if I am at the camper. I bring them in when we leave camp every weekend and if we are going to be gone for a few hours and there is a storm expected. My most recent campsite was more protected from wind so that wasn't as big a concern. The site before that was more in the open and wind would hit the awning and if it was strong enough I could feel it inside.
Check the voltage with the awning opening or closing.
__________________
Russ
Forney,TX
2010 Cruiser CTX CT29RLX
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NH
Posts: 344
I received an email from Camping World corporate on Monday that they were going to contact CW in Chichester and have a manager contact me immediately. Not holding my breath.

I received an email from Crossroads customer service today telling me I can bring my 5er to one of two other dealers that are both 70 miles away. They didn't tell me whether or not the problem would be fixed under warranty.
__________________
2016 Cruiser 315RL
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch diesel SRD

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, electric awning, solera

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.