Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
New Camper

Axle rating

So, the other day I was curious as to what my exact axle ratings were for my RV (2013 Z-1 218), you know were they 7k axles, 3k axles. So I got under the RV and saw the manufacturers rating place on the axle itself. It said they were 3.5k axles.

Curious, the GVWR for the RV is 7600 pounds, how can I have 3.5k axles installed on the RV and yet it is rated to carry 600 pounds more than the axles are rated at.

Ideas?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwreuter View Post
So, the other day I was curious as to what my exact axle ratings were for my RV (2013 Z-1 218), you know were they 7k axles, 3k axles. So I got under the RV and saw the manufacturers rating place on the axle itself. It said they were 3.5k axles.

Curious, the GVWR for the RV is 7600 pounds, how can I have 3.5k axles installed on the RV and yet it is rated to carry 600 pounds more than the axles are rated at.

Ideas?

The GVWR is 7600# You carry from 10 to 15% of that on the hitch. If you are not overloaded that means at 10% on the hitch (760#) that leaves 6840# for the axles.
I know, they figure it pretty close, but that is the mentality.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I questioned that too after my rear axle bent on a longer trip. 7912 lb GVW with 3500 lb axles did not make sense to me. Should have been 4K axles at the very minimum.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

My 3500 were replaced with 4400 axles within the first yr as both bent, perfect now. Trailer loaded weighed 6600 on axles plus tongue weight . I was 600 under rating and the Chinese steel axles bent.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

Just FYI!
All trailer axles will a some bend in them, this is the way axle alignment is done. If the axle is perfectly straight side to side then most likely it's out of alignment causing abnormal tire wear. They usually have some upwards bow in the center of the axle causing a slight angle of the wheel/tire top to bottom.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just FYI!
All trailer axles will a some bend in them, this is the way axle alignment is done. If the axle is perfectly straight side to side then most likely it's out of alignment causing abnormal tire wear. They usually have some upwards bow in the center of the axle causing a slight angle of the wheel/tire top to bottom.
Yes , you are correct as to the upward bend...mine started out that way and soon were straight and one had a downward bend,hence the heavier axles installed.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I am of the opinion, that the manufactures build to the cheap side of the product.
We have a 2012 Sunset Trail BH the first year (2012/13), bought in the spring of 2012 used that year, in the spring of 2013 took it in due to tire wear and appearance of a strange looking stance, tires looked funny.

The axels were bent out of specs, I had it tested at an independent frame shop, they came up with similar numbers that the dealer came up with.

Same issue 3000# axels on a trailer that weighs 6800# empty. Dealer would do nothing, Lippert said the axels were 2 years old from date of manufacturer. After much whining and complaining, Lippert sent axels, only, no brakes, no mounts only the axels, by that time I had #3500 axels installed, could not go any higher without changing mounting system.

3 new tires, 1 at a time, due to 2 flats and a blow-out on the highway, some say the tires a from China, I can not confirm as All have been replaced done within 5800 miles over 2 years.

These were "C", I think, rated tires, decided to replace all tires, tire shop said I should have at least "D" rated tires, the tire tech said I should have gone for "E" rating.

All in all cheap inferior products used due to cost. Good luck with your unit.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote