Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
New Camper

Battery

I need to replace our battery on a 2007 Crossroad Paradise Point 34ck, is there a certain kind that it takes?
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post
I need to replace our battery on a 2007 Crossroad Paradise Point 34ck, is there a certain kind that it takes?
Measure your battery, but you may find a group size written on it and that is what you want to match in a deep cycle battery. Don't use an automotive battery.

If you do a lot of dry camping (no electricity hookup) you will probably want to spend more on it - such as an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery which is basically a high priced dry cell. The higher the amp hours and reserve capacity, the more you pay. If you don't do a lot of dry camping, you may want to consider an entry level flooded cell rv battery.

Entry Level http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...asp?id=Marines

High End http://www.odysseybatteries.com/applications/hd.htm
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

AGM batteries are expensive but worth every penny.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
Measure your battery, but you may find a group size written on it and that is what you want to match in a deep cycle battery. Don't use an automotive battery.

If you do a lot of dry camping (no electricity hookup) you will probably want to spend more on it - such as an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery which is basically a high priced dry cell. The higher the amp hours and reserve capacity, the more you pay. If you don't do a lot of dry camping, you may want to consider an entry level flooded cell rv battery.

Entry Level http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...asp?id=Marines

High End http://www.odysseybatteries.com/applications/hd.htm

WildWildWest,

Looks like you know alot about these batteries. I've always wanted to ask someone if buying two cheaper flooded cell batteries gives you about the same number of hours as a AGM.

I ask because the AGM's are really pricey.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
WildWildWest,

Looks like you know alot about these batteries. I've always wanted to ask someone if buying two cheaper flooded cell batteries gives you about the same number of hours as a AGM.

I ask because the AGM's are really pricey.
If you have (or want) a dual battery setup and do a lot of dry camping (I don't), two AGM batteries are the way to go. They will last the life of the trailer if cared for properly. If you only need two or three days of dry camping, a couple of regular flooded cell batteries are cheaper than 1 AGM in most cases and would probably do the trick. I only use AGM in my vehicles and diesel truck once the OEM battery is done - cranking power and cold starting is incredible. That being said, the RV deep cycle batteries are designed for a different purpose and two deep cycle flooded cell RV batteries would likely still exceed 1 AGM deep cycle battery. Never done the research with the RV deep cycle batteries but you would really want to just start comparing the amp hours (AH) and reserve capacity (RC) ratings which are industry standard.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I bought an AGM from Cabela's years ago for my boat. I have never had to charge it. It sits for long periods thru the winter, sometimes summer too unfortunately but always fires right up. I will certainly put one in the TT when current one needs replaced.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I know this topic has been beat to death at times but like many, two 6 volt batteries in series or create 12 volts total is another very good alternative.
The large cells and high capacity as a wet battery gives you enough sustained power to use without much concern for dry camping.
However, unlike agm's, you need to keep these charged regularly to keep fresh.
Anyone I know making this change will not go back to just one 12 volt battery because of such a dramatic difference.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
I know this topic has been beat to death at times but like many, two 6 volt batteries in series or create 12 volts total is another very good alternative.
The large cells and high capacity as a wet battery gives you enough sustained power to use without much concern for dry camping.
However, unlike agm's, you need to keep these charged regularly to keep fresh.
Anyone I know making this change will not go back to just one 12 volt battery because of such a dramatic difference.

I started out with two 12V Interstate deep cycle. They didn't do very well when we dry camped.
When I installed the solar panel I switched them out for two T105 Trojans. Made a big difference. I just wish I would have gotten the T145 Trojans.
I checked out the Optima at that time, but they didn't have enough cold cranking amps.
I don't know how the gel batteries compare to the Trojan deep cycle.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote