Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

black water tank sensors

Hi we have a new used 2005 Cruiser 28' and it's been great so far. I've been treating and cleaning the tanks ever since we bought it (last fall).. The grey water tank registers fine. The black water wouldn't register empty or register full since we bought it but it does drain well. I have filled it up about 4 times and let it sit for about 4 or 5 days before emptying it and follow up with the cleaning wand that spins around thru the toilet opening. The sensor now reads empty when draining but it wont register full - only 2/3. I have to watch it fill up thru the toilet. It has the under belly wrap so i can't see the wire leads. Any suggestions? Thanks
phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Here's something on that subject:

http://rvmaintenancetips.com/i-cant-...to-read-right/

Having said that, this is our third 5th wheel and we have just given up completely on all the sensors. We have a pretty good idea of how long we can go with our tanks. The black seems to go a long time, and that would be because there is not a lot of water going in there. You can get very stressed out over that sort of thing, or you can just live without sensors.

On another note, it is not a good idea to totally fill up your black tank with water to clean it out. My husband has done this in the past with not very good results a couple of times. Now he no longer does that. We have a clean-out thingy for the black tank - you put the hose to it.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Normally the sensor will light up the indicator panel if there is wet "debris" on the sensor in the tank. Getting no light tells me the sensor is either faulty, the wire is loose or the display is faulty. I had loose wires on the back of the indicator panel which gave the same lack of indication as you have. You can try and lower the membrane on the opposite side of the rig as your dump valve. I believe (not positive) that is the side where the wires connect to the 4 sensors.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

thanks, i will check behind the panel 1st. at least i have it so it registers empty when i drain it. i'm on my 5th flush and fill. smell is getting better too after each one.
phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

My sensors are on the same side as the dump valve. It does create a problem because the toilets on the same side and "pyramiding" on that side gives me false full readings.

I agree above about not filling your tank with water to clean out as mine dropped down after too much weight. What a mess as you can imagine. Not a fun repair but I can assure you that it won't happen again with some additional bracing.

I do have the san i tee water hook up and use it carefully. I know many talk about Calgon, ice cubes, Dawn soap and the like to help keep things moving, but those sensors measure resistance and can easily get coated and give you false readings too.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Try the GEO method to clean the tanks. Works for a lot of people.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
X2 on this. Hearing that your tank smell is improving with flushes sounds like the previous owner allowed a stone mountain to build up. Try using the geo method and always keep 3-5 gallons of water in the tank to help prevent that build up.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
My black tank has not read empty for a while. I think it only read empty maybe once after using the camper. Yesterday I dumped some calgon in the tankthen added some soap and water. When I got home the tank read empty. May have to stick to this method.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

x2 on Geo method. I rarely use any chemicals unless I'm setup for a week in hot weather.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote