Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
New Camper

Converter Issues

My 2015 Crossroads Z-1. 4 years ago I accidently hooked up the battery wrong. We had not noticed any issues until now other than the stereo does not function either. (BUT I can live without that) We have never turned the lights on long enough to kill battery. Everything works fine but the lights after some time get extremely dim. Microwave works goes still, outlets good..water pump...etc. I may have read something somewhere that it may not be the converter but however fuses? The lights to get really bright sometimes when they are dim...does this mean the converter on its way out or could it be something simple? If anyone could help! thanks kindly
gogo2598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Before my converter died The lights would slowly dim then get bright. Then the converter quit. The lights would only work off battery and the battery would not stay charged. I bought a whole new converter vs a replacement board.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

This is almost the exact problem I had. It's a few posts down. "New member, probably old question"

Exact same with the lights and microwave. I was blaming my generator. After I learned a little more, the power converter was probably going bad, the whole time.

I took the advice of a member. I have the new parts, waiting to be installed.
I just got a new circuit board. I'm confident this will fix it.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I replaced the converter on our 5th wheel after experiencing similar issues last year. I didn't hook-up the battery backwards so I can't speak to that problem but the lights would go dim after a little while. I replaced the converter and all is good as new now. Do your research on the converter, don't always go with the cheapest unit, there are many options available.

The microwave, outlets, and AC operate on a completely separate circuit, they are 120V AC power and not 12V DC power so the outlets and microwave should function normal as long as you are plugged into a 120V power source even if the converter is going bad. All other devices in the trailer are DC power and will be affected by the converter / battery.

I would suggest marking the battery cables with a tag or other method to prevent future hook-up issues.

Good luck.
43tutor is offline   Reply With Quote