Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Almost home (8 miles to go) and good samaritan honking his horn pulls up next to us telling me I've got a flat.

Pulled over and the front tire is shredded and has pretty much buffed the rear tirebald.

Besides the obvious (it had to have been going on for a while and people had to be dodging debris but didn't feel it was worth their time to try and let me know) I never felt anything odd and the rear tire really did a great job of holding all that weight.

A minor bit of sheet metal bent (straightened by hand) and changed the tire by the side of the road-we were very lucky! My eyes are always watching the mirrors but I didn't see anything while running down the raod to indicate we were leaving a trail.

I remember seeing something about wireless valve covers that would send a signal when the psi was out of tolerance-has anyone tried these? I sure would like to catch a flat as soon as it goes-this could have been a whole lot worse-like had the rear gone instead and didn't have another tire behind it to buffer the shrapnel
Old 07-12-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Sorry-just saw the other post on pressure monitors. Edited by: JimS in TX
Old 07-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Jim,

Since you had a flat on the front axle and drove with it flat for a while, you should check your rear axle and U bolts to make sure they are still in good shape and tight. See my recent thread on "another Lippert axle issue"

My rear axle crushed at the spring mounting pads when I had a flat on the front.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks Kurt-I have been reading all the axle threads since having my flat and besides alignment (the RR was wearing a bit off before the flat) TPMS and probably Maxxis I'll crawl under and take a very close look the next time I get over to where I have it stored.