Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
New Camper

Fuses Keep Blowing

We bought a 2007 Crossroads Cruiser CF28RL fifth wheel last December, and are first time RVers. This hot summer in Florida we find our fuses blowing on a regular basis IF we have the AC running and try to use the microwave. Is this a common problem?
LeBlanc5458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

It has happened to us as well. I am just careful what we run when the a/c is on.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Loneoak
LeBlanc5458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

This has been a very common issue with earlier models. Look in your panel and if your A/C breaker is a tandem/twin breaker with another circuit then separate them onto two separate breakers (not a twin). This will correct this issue. The problem is the A/C draws so much it actually heats the breaker and when on a twin type it can't cool well enough. This has been discussed before and you might try a forum search.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
This has been a very common issue with earlier models. Look in your panel and if your A/C breaker is a tandem/twin breaker with another circuit then separate them onto two separate breakers (not a twin). This will correct this issue. The problem is the A/C draws so much it actually heats the breaker and when on a twin type it can't cool well enough. This has been discussed before and you might try a forum search.
Stan is right.
I did a "upgrade" I call it, on the breaker panel. I got rid of all the double breakers and replaced them with singles. I would say separating the double that the AC was on was the biggest improvement. The breaker panel has empty slots, which is nice that way there is room for the extra breakers.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We were causing the breaker at the panel outside where we plug in to flip by using too much. I ran my vacuum cleaner when the a/c was on and we had to reset the breaker outside.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

If you are tripping the pedestal breaker then you are pulling too much current. You have a 30 amp system and there is always a bit of a draw at all times - fridge, converter, etc. Add the A/C and then a hair dryer, vacuum or micro and you can overload the breaker. Now you might have a weak outside breaker or your A/C motor is old and drawing more than usual. I too have keep a watch on how many "high draw" appliances I use. This is why many rigs today come with 50A service.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blowing, fuses