Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Have to Slam Entry Door

I have tried to search the topic and getting a few results, but don't know that it is the same issue. Both of my entry doors are tough to close. My camper is level, I have sprayed WD-40 in the lock mechanism and on the hinge. I have even changed from a keyed lock on 1 of the doors to a keyless lock. In all cases, the door requires you to slam the door shut or apply very firm pressure on the door by the lock to make it latch. When you try to shut from the inside, it feels like the lock is going to break from the force it takes to pull it shut. I have seen suggestions of a pull handle in the unit to put on the door? Any pics? Once you get it to certain point, it shuts well, and the lock mechanism does not look to drag. I have seen info on taking a hammer to pound the door (scares me) - but did tap the latch on the door frame to ensure something is not dragging on that. Is the door warped? I can only imagine that if I take to a dealer to have it looked at, it will be several weeks before they can get to it. Going to be camping for a 10 day period at the Iowa State Fair going in and out a fair amount and cringe thinking about how my daughters will be slamming door to make it shut! Thanks for the help!

Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Sounds like the lock mechanism has shifted. Mine is adjustable by loosening some screws. You might look to see if your is adjustable as well. If so, it may only take a little bit of adj to make the door better. Also, hold the latch handle on the door in the retracted position and see if you can feel the door dragging on the frame anywhere as you open and close it.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Check all the screws holding the lock on also check the striker plate as it may have shifted.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I've been fighting this on mine too. I removed the inner handle and used some silicone spray lube on the latch - that helped. I then pulled the outer handle and pushed the door closed - to see if the door hits/drags on the framing. Mine was rubbing along the top where the rain channel was overlapped into the opening. I tapped it back with a rubber hammer. I also noticed the lower corner of the door contacts before the middle and top. So I put a block between the bottom corner of the door and the frame - then pushed on the top until it was bent back straight. My 7 yr old is too short, he pushes on the bottom edge of the door to close it - I think that's why the bottom got a little bent over the past 2 yrs.

These things made a huge difference in ours. I also had to have a 'how to seminar' with the family to push/pull on the door - not slam it.

2017 Sunset Trail Superlite 289QB
2016 Escalade

Custom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
New Camper

My door drug on the frame so I adjusted it with a block of wood and a large hammer, lubed the latch and it worked great.
Where are you camping at the State Fair?? If on the grounds I envy you!!
We are volunteer water salesmen and work at the Iowa Christmas tree Booth.
Like they say, "see you at the fair!!!"
Borkfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

We are fortunate enough to be in the grounds. My grandparents had the site and we have kept it in the family. Where is Christmas Tree Farm? I always stop by to register to win!
Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I will try those suggestions. I appreciate it.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
New Camper

Tree farm is in Cherokee county. We camped on the grounds 35 years ago in our pop up!!! 20 years ago we tented on a hill and kept sliding down hill giving ourselves wedgies all night. Never again!! Fortunate to have a daugher and family in Ankeny so we camp there now1
Borkfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:05 AM   #9
New Camper

Do you have the friction door? We do and ours is also hard to latch from inside. I lubricated the lock and it seems to be a little better. Our previous camper did not have the friction hinge and I don't consider this an upgrade. Time will tell if it loosens up or holds up. I know on the inside would make it better or a metal latch. The plastic latch seems flimsy when you have it a tug to latch from inside.
ShawnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Check this, too.

I agree with the latch and striker plate recommendations. Couple things: never use wd-40 instead of graphite in a lock. It will ruin the mechanism as it gums up everything.

Regarding the door: check the hinges to see if they are bent. When the door repeatedly whips open, the hinges take the brunt of the abuse. Some will bend slightly (or a lot). It will change the angle of the door in the frame. Check that as well. I find that a lot with kids around kitchen cabinets as well. They are only supposed to open so far.

Enjoy the fair.
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I had a similar issue with a friction hinge. Turns out where my hinges are, the manf drove a few more screws through the door frame to the wall frame. Apparently the heads had snapped allowing the hinge to pull the door frame away from the wall frame causing the door to rub the opposite door frame. I ended up drilling a few new holes and using some stainless screws... works flawlessly now
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Davelevandoskiayahoo.com
Had this problem with my 262 sunset bunk house,
I tried adjusting the latch, I thought if I could angle the latch out a bit the door would close. I took a sheet of tinfoil, folded it up and tucked it behind the latched screws,
A bit of trial and error might be needed for your locks, 2 camping trips and hundreds of closing it works great, hope this helps

Tags
entry door, handle, slam, slam latch, won't close