Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
New Camper

I am looking at extending my fuel capacity pulling my 5er . Transfer flow inc. makes several types ,including larger tank replacing factory tank. toolbox fuel tanks.and large tanks that sit in truck box. Anybody have any experiance as to which one is a better choice. For my truck they make a 60 gallon replacement tank. I am leaning towards that one. except for the fact that it sticks below frame rails but my dodge sits up so high anyway i don't think it would be a problem. Thanks for reading
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I am thinking of doing the same, so I am very interested in the response you get.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I've thought about this over the years and could never figure out a reason for it. You'll be carrying a lot more weight around which hurts gas mileage and I for one cannot drive more than about thirty gallons worth of time. On my rig thirty gallons equals about seven hours!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Site Team

I had considered the larger replacement tank, didn't do it. I had a behind the cab transfer tank I built. Held about 35 gals, sold it. After all that I was still thinking I needed more fuel to carry with me. Haven't done it and don't have any intentions of pursuing it any further. Fuel has become easier to get in the last few years so I don't see the reason anymore.
There is a thread on the forum I started back a couple years that discussed this issue.
I think if you do a search you will find it.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I have had Transfer Flow tanks in my last two trucks. I love the fact that I don't have to worry with being caught in the mountains (gas more expensive) and can drive all day without stopping for gas. Mu stock tanks were only 26 gals so I could only go about 200 miles on a tank. No issues at all with either tank. Well made and fit nicely. They do stick down below the rails about 1" but no big deal with me. Only thing I have noticed is that they are long and flat so the last 8 gals or so is basically unusable. If my next truck has a small tank, I will do it again.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

In 2003 I bought a diesel truck and figured that I just had to have an extra tank. Installed one at a cost of $1200.00. Filled it once or twice and was sorry I ever bought it. Took up space and was extra weight to haul around. Not a good idea for me. ...Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

My neighbor put one in his new F250 this weekend. It is a 60 gallon with tool box on top. He bought it from Northern Tool along with the gravity feed kit. I think he spent around $850.00
This is a nice tank and will be my next purchase. I should be good for 1100 miles range...
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I don't see how it can be justified, unless you are only getting a 200 or so mile range. Even a 600 mile range is about 10 hours for most of us. How big is your bladder anyway???!!!! :&gt

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Pretty big, but the problem is DW's is not.
Like my neighbor, I drive 40+ K miles a year. Having the ability to save 15 to 20 cents a gallon on a low priced station is huge.
As far as trips go, I would prefer to stop at rest stops rather that truck stops.
Every penny counts when burning $8000.00 in fuel a year.
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I'm with captain Mike.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Latest issue(May 2012)"Trailer LIfe" has an issue about this exact topic, entitled "Go Farther with fewer fill-ups - 60-Gallon Fuel Tank From Transer Flow."'Double your driving range with Transfer Flow's 60-Gallon Replacement Fuel Tank for the 2011 -1012 Ram HD'. by Gary Wescott. With pictures and everything!

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Site Team

It all sounds good, but it will take many many fills to even get the price of the tank back. Plus the cost for hauling it around, and cleaning up the occasional mess from the slopped fuel.
But, everybody has their own outlook on things. That's what makes this old world go around.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
New Camper

My reasoning for a larger fuel tank is increased range between fuel stops. I can fuel up where i want and not where my fuel gauge tells me where. As far as extra weight 30-40 more gallons is only 250-350 more pounds. When your combined weight is 20,000 pounds that is nothing. Also driving across some states while not on freeway i think the piece of mind of not worrying about running out is worth it.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
New Camper

I Forgot to thank Ruck for posting about trailerlife artical about just the tank i'm thinking about. I'm going to have buy that one today. THANKS.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I replaced my OEM tank in my F-250 short bed not too long

after getting my CR fiver. Two reasons for doing so is the convenience and not

getting caught in a remote area and/or the chance of running out of fuel due to

non-availability. I had this happen twice. My original tank was 26 gals which would

give me approx. 225 miles max before a fuel stop.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

The Big Bend Nat’l Park area in far west TX is very remote

and over a 100 miles from the closest town of any size. Yes, there is fuel in the

park but it’s very expensive and sometimes it’s contaminated with water. Other

times it’s simply not available. Study Butte to the west, has the same problem.

Last time I bought fuel in either place it was 50to 75 cents a gal

more.

After a lot of research, I found that Transfer Flow was the

only supplier of after-market tanks that were EPA certified, especially CARB,

in CA. Northern Tool has or had a disclaimer on their website stating their

tanks were not available in CA. Other states such as IL, NY and MI that have

OBDII emissions testing do allow these tanks due to the interruptions of fuel emission

control of the fuel system. In other words, replacing the OEM tanks with a

non-approved tank causes a “Check Engine� light to come on and stay on, thus

the vehicle won’t pass an inspection in specific states.

Other issues that were brought up is, will the </span>tanks meet or exceed crash test standards in

the event of an accident where </span>the tank

is punctured causing a fuel spill, which becomes an EPA issue. Another issue was

with the insurance companies and liability. Third and most important is with

new or trucks that are still in warranty. Most of the Big 3 has statements in

the owner’s manual that void warranty if the EPA emissions control is tampered

with. All the fuel systems in vehicles since the late 90’s have sealed or vacuum

type flow. Most of the gravity flow tanks require “T-ing� into the main flow line.

Gravity flow tanks will not allow fuel to flow into the main tank due to the vacuum

lock.

I found in doing my research that any tank </span>that isn’t sealed, especially those that

depend on gravity feed do not and will not meet the necessary requirements of

EPA OBD II states, and or the mfger’s warranty requirements.

Also, I haven’t seen any appreciable decrease in fuel

mileage due the extra weight. Yes, there is some but it’s not enough to fret

over. I get almost the same towing or not. On the cost recovery factor, probably

won’t see it unless you are full timing. On the issue of inconvenience and getting

caught or being able to make it further than 225 miles, that becomes a personal

issue. I currently live in an area where diesel fuel is 18 to

20 cents higher than most places. I can fuel at a Wally’s about 30 miles

away, with my Wally’s card and save that 20 cents per gal – plus 10 cents

a gal discount for using their card. That’s 30 cents a gal less – and that

makes a big difference in the long run.

There are several other issues for consideration, but this

will give you something to mull over for now.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeagle

...convenience and not

getting caught in a remote area and/or the chance of running out of fuel due to

non-availability. I had this happen twice. My original tank was 26 gals which would

give me approx. 225 miles max before a fuel stop.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Also, I haven’t seen any appreciable decrease in fuel

mileage due the extra weight. Yes, there is some but it’s not enough to fret

over. I get almost the same towing or not. On the cost recovery factor, probably

won’t see it unless you are full timing. On the issue of inconvenience and getting

caught or being able to make it further than 225 miles, that becomes a personal

issue. I currently live in an area where diesel fuel is 18 to

20 cents higher than most places. I can fuel at a Wally’s about 30 miles

away, with my Wally’s card and save that 20 cents per gal – plus 10 cents

a gal discount for using their card. That’s 30 cents a gal less – and that

makes a big difference in the long run.

My feelings perzactly, and I added an additional 20 Gal carrying capacity!

You're welcome, old guy!

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I've had a Transfer Flow undermount tank in my truck since almost day one, so 9 yrs. People who fret about payback should try the same logic on the cost of heated seats or upgraded wheels, that is not the reason for a larger tank. People who fret about a couple hundred lbs of additional weight that exists only until the extra fuel is burned should fret about that few extra hundred lbs of unused gear that is constantly in the truck or trailer. Yet in reality the extra weight has almost no impact on fuel mileage, a slower pace will have a much bigger impact.

Anyway, for me the advantage is more flexibility in fuel stops, typically just once per travel day. But more specifically I don't have to combine fuel stops with potty or rest stops. During the fuel stop I can focus on all the truck and trailer maint./safety checks. During the rest stop I can focus on all the family needs.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

I purchased a 46 gal tank over the internet from Tank-Depot and mounted it in my bed right behind the cab. Currently the cost on-line is $524.99, and that includes the kit with the check valve to tie into your filler neck on the factory tank. I think it is the best value out there. It is the largest tank that can be shipped UPS. It takes up a foot of space in your bed, but is below the rails, so a cover fits nicely. I don't like to run below a quarter of a tank, and with this, I feel I triple my range. I would definitely do it again.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

I installed a 50 gal. Transfer Flow tank/toolbox on my 04 as we were taking a 13,000 mile trip thru Canada &amp; Alaska. Not knowing the fuel situation and Canadian price, I wanted the piece of mind to have plenty of fuel. Glad I did!!!Next rip was following the St. Lawrence to tip of Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Foundland, New Brunswick, etc.Have since replaced the 04 with 08 &amp; transfered the tank to it with just a reprograming of the in-cab display gauges. Have not had one problem with the unit.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

As was said above, it's all about need. When I went truck shopping, the 1999 Quad cab short bed had ~ 23-24 gal. tank. When the 2000 came out it had 34. It made sense to wait. We don't do the long trips up to Alaska and pretty much travel where fuel is available within 50 miles or so. As much as I would like more fuel, I can't justify the cost in our case, plus Transfer Flow doesn't make a replacement tank for this truck. I just plan my stops, using the trucker internet sites for fuel.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote