Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
New Camper

I am looking at extending my fuel capacity pulling my 5er . Transfer flow inc. makes several types ,including larger tank replacing factory tank. toolbox fuel tanks.and large tanks that sit in truck box. Anybody have any experiance as to which one is a better choice. For my truck they make a 60 gallon replacement tank. I am leaning towards that one. except for the fact that it sticks below frame rails but my dodge sits up so high anyway i don't think it would be a problem. Thanks for reading
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I am thinking of doing the same, so I am very interested in the response you get.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I've thought about this over the years and could never figure out a reason for it. You'll be carrying a lot more weight around which hurts gas mileage and I for one cannot drive more than about thirty gallons worth of time. On my rig thirty gallons equals about seven hours!

http://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Site Team

I had considered the larger replacement tank, didn't do it. I had a behind the cab transfer tank I built. Held about 35 gals, sold it. After all that I was still thinking I needed more fuel to carry with me. Haven't done it and don't have any intentions of pursuing it any further. Fuel has become easier to get in the last few years so I don't see the reason anymore.
There is a thread on the forum I started back a couple years that discussed this issue.
I think if you do a search you will find it.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I have had Transfer Flow tanks in my last two trucks. I love the fact that I don't have to worry with being caught in the mountains (gas more expensive) and can drive all day without stopping for gas. Mu stock tanks were only 26 gals so I could only go about 200 miles on a tank. No issues at all with either tank. Well made and fit nicely. They do stick down below the rails about 1" but no big deal with me. Only thing I have noticed is that they are long and flat so the last 8 gals or so is basically unusable. If my next truck has a small tank, I will do it again.

2007 Cruiser CF30SK
Glide Ride Pin Box
Reese 16K Slider
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

In 2003 I bought a diesel truck and figured that I just had to have an extra tank. Installed one at a cost of $1200.00. Filled it once or twice and was sorry I ever bought it. Took up space and was extra weight to haul around. Not a good idea for me. ...Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

My neighbor put one in his new F250 this weekend. It is a 60 gallon with tool box on top. He bought it from Northern Tool along with the gravity feed kit. I think he spent around $850.00
This is a nice tank and will be my next purchase. I should be good for 1100 miles range...
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I don't see how it can be justified, unless you are only getting a 200 or so mile range. Even a 600 mile range is about 10 hours for most of us. How big is your bladder anyway???!!!! :&gt

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Pretty big, but the problem is DW's is not.
Like my neighbor, I drive 40+ K miles a year. Having the ability to save 15 to 20 cents a gallon on a low priced station is huge.
As far as trips go, I would prefer to stop at rest stops rather that truck stops.
Every penny counts when burning $8000.00 in fuel a year.
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I'm with captain Mike.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote