Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
New Camper

New Trailer Tires

Finally got rid of the China bombs on our Sunset Trail 260 RL I bought the Goodyear Endurance tires at Discount Tire. I am now having a pretty serious sway problem that I didn't have before. They didn't have the right equipment to balance the tires so I am wondering if that could be the problem. I am also running 80 psi in the tires instead of the 60 psi in the other tires. Could that be the difference? I have been a member for a couple of years now and this is my first post. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Terryhudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
Site Team

What size tires, load rating and recommended tire pressure on sidewall?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Check for a loose wheel. I don't think balance would cause sway.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Team

If you have 205/75 R15C tires, you're over inflating those tire by 15 lbs. Goodyear says the maximum inflation is 65lbs.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:46 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
If you have 205/75 R15C tires, you're over inflating those tire by 15 lbs. Goodyear says the maximum inflation is 65lbs.
x2,

You're overinflated. Drop your pressures asap and run a test drive.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

First things first, get yourself a good tire gauge that is trust worthy and throw it into your trailer toolbox, you'll always need it. ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/VIAIR-2-...0072/202948498 ) I highly doubt that your sway is caused by over pressure or out of balance, but perhaps something else is going on, is trailer sitting level, not enough weight on tongue, do you have a sway bar or sway control not set properly, a bent trailer axle from maybe driving over a curb. Somethings just not adding up unfortunately. When I added our Endurance (balanced) it went FROM sway and bounce, to completely straight and a beautiful towing experience. I added the sway bar to our Reese WD hitch just previous to installing tires but the biggest asset to the towing experience was the tires. Now it's sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery. Where before you just never knew what direction that trailer wanted to jump to.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
New Camper

The tires are 205 75 R15's. I thought the max psi for the tire was 80psi but I checked the Goodyear chart and it is 65 psi. I keep the trialer 70 miles from my house. When I go out there next week I will double check tire preasue. I have a Husky Centerline weight distribution hitch and sway has never been a problem. Thanks for all the advice. I will let you know when I find out what works.
Terryhudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

X3 on the over inflation. Just thinking outloud, but it makes sense if the trailer is a little wobbly with 80 psi in the tires if the max cold is 65 because there would be a smaller contact patch on the road allowing the trailer to move around easier.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryhudd View Post
The tires are 205 75 R15's. I thought the max psi for the tire was 80psi but I checked the Goodyear chart and it is 65 psi. I keep the trialer 70 miles from my house. When I go out there next week I will double check tire preasue. I have a Husky Centerline weight distribution hitch and sway has never been a problem. Thanks for all the advice. I will let you know when I find out what works.
Also ask yourself . Are you sure that is what the trailer calls for . The tire has a max pressure on it but the trailer specs the tire pressure.. its a common mistake seen in the car business.. engineers set the pressure based on weight and suspension . I have the same tire and my max rated pressure is only 50 psi which is listed on the tire load placard.. if yours lists 65 then all is good . But you could have been 30 psi to high
Smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote