Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
New Camper

No power to slides and electrical outlets

I have a 2007 Crossroads Zinger 37DV. Went to winterize and slides wouldn't come in. Upon further check...no power to electrical plugs. Battery is brand new. Converter is working. Checked ground switch on bathroom plug...it is not triggered. Had a guy out to look. He says it must be a word between battery and converter. Said it would be a pricey fix and ceiling panels would even need to come out. This seems odd to me since the converter and battery are both located in front end of trailer. Anyone have any experience with this? Are there any wiring diagrams kicking around?
Michellemabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome.

You say that you have no power to the outlets? Are you sure you have 110 to the camper? Do you have lights? The reason i ask is if you have no 110 to the camper the outlets would not work and the converter also would not work. If the camper has sat with the converter off- no 110- it will run down the battery unless you have a disconnect and it was on.

The slides work off 12 volts so if your battery is good they should work. You can also plug the tow vehicle to the camper and it should supply 12 volts to run the rooms in.

As for wiring diagrams they do not exist..

So start by checking that you have 110 to the camper then check the breakers to see if any have tripped. Then check the battery for charge. Worst case you can move the rooms in manually. The procedure varies with the type of slide that you have so if you need help with that let us know.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Two completely different systems. Very weird they would fail at same time.
I would be checking that you do indeed have 120v coming into camper.
If you have no power to any plugs, then there is honestly no power coming to your RV. Almost impossible for every breaker to be tripped at same time.
but I would check connections at main breaker and double check its not tripped.
All slides/lights and such run on 12 vdc when is converted from 120vac when unit is plugged in. if your battery is good then it could be fuses and or the main power connection for the 12v panel.
If you have the ability to check these out. Then you can save yourself a possible high repair bill.

(make sure to shut off all power and unplug the camper when checking connections with screwdrivers.)
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

DO NOT let that joker start pulling ceiling panels, actually find someone else as he's blowing smoke up your shirt.
The factory battery disconnect DOES NOT disconnect all power drains!!! If your RV has sat unplugged from shore power for as little as a couple days, most likely your batteries are dead, hopefully not ruined, & even with the converter running would/could take several hours to be fully charged. All your lights, slides, furnace, thermostat, water pump & the control boards for your water heater & fridge are 12 volt with batteries being charged by your 110 volt converter. Your converter probably doesn't put out enough sustained voltage to power your slides, but should power the lights & other minimal 12 volt items.
The only 100% way to prevent battery drain is to disconnect either the negative, my recommendation, or positive battery cable.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
Site Team

If the converter is working it should open the slides without the battery. When we winterize i disconnect the battery and then if the wife needs something out of the camper she plugs in the camper then she can run the slides in and out.

I do agree that tearing the ceiling out to trace wires would be a hack job.

Also what year did they start putting factory battery disconnects on campers. My 05 did not come with one.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I agree with ALL of the above, but mostly the comment from Danny about finding yourself a second opinion, there's tons of diagnostic methods an experienced RV tech could use to isolate the route cause of your problem, non of which involve removing ceiling panels.

I'll bet the problem is ridiculously simple.

Good luck, please keep us informed, and don't hesitate to ask more questions.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Interesting. We were at the end of a long cross country camping trip. Arrived at a campground only to discover that we had no 120V, I called the campground they sent a maintenance guy and he said the breaker was not tripped (the one for the site) I showed him that we did not have power in the unit, that left some head scratching. Eventually I decided that it must be somewhere in the shore power cord. Long story and search later I found that the wire nuts that connect the shore power cord to the RV wiring had some how come loose and that resulted in no power. The connections were hard to get at but I managed to reconnect everything and all was good. All the rest of the comments above are true. 120V and 12V are 2 different systems, about the only thing that runs on 120V is plugs, TV, Microwave, AC and converter, pretty well everything else is 12V: slides, water pump, most lamps etc, if you sat for 2 days with no shore power to power converter to charge battery your battery would be dead or not enough power to run slides. NEVER NEVER let someone start pulling ceiling panels off the only power up there would be for the AC.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I agree, I do not expect the wiring is in the roof!! These units are built in a factory setting where every minute is dollars. The units are full of manufacturing short cuts and errors.
Pay attention to where the feed to the converter comes from, most likely from below the floor. Also if you look under the slide you may see that the wiring for the plus in the slide is attached to a flex plastic grid that bends as the slide retracts/extends. Then all the siring is routed in the frame between the belly sheet/cover. My Crossroads belly was covered with a woven poly with a mix of a thin aluminum track 1" wide held in place with self taping steel screws. I replaced the belly cover on my Crossroads 5th wheel this summer with Coroplast and all wiring was just laid on the belly sheet.
Here is a great product should you be under the trailer, and would be worth having - Scrim Shield Repair Tape-4" x 180 (found on Amazon) recommended by my dealer parts counter

dkwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote