Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Looking underneath newly acquired used 2010 26RK fifth, I noticed that the screws in the brace that hold the piece at the bottom of the wall outside from fender skirt to rear of trailer is not tightened all the way into the frame on either side.

Anyone know if this is normal or a mfg qc error?
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

It may be loose due to road vibrations or stripped threads during manufacturing. If you are talking about the brace that keeps the fender skirt from flexing too much, then replace the screw with a nut, bolt and lock washer. For a screw into the unit body, then use one size larger screw or fill the hole with liquid steel and then re-drill for the original screw.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

The bracing is the same on my 2010 CT29RLX. The screws into the frame are tight but aren't in all the way.I don't think they used self drilling screws just metal screws and put the in as far as they would go. All the bracing is tight.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

"The bracing is the same on my 2010 CT29RLX. The screws into the frame are tight but aren't in all the way.I don't think they used self drilling screws just metal screws and put the in as far as they would go. All the bracing is tight."

You've got it exactly what I was trying to say, although I don't quite know what you mean by "All the bracing is tight".

The screws, while only in a couple of threads on the frameare tight, there is about 1/2 inch from the screw head to the brace. This would allow movement of the "panel".

I really don't know if this is a design or just the great "quality control" used my the manufacturer.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

What I meant about the bracing being tight is that it doesn't move around when I pull on it, it is solid and doesn't move on the screws.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I had an issue with the passenger side brace on our Cruiser. When I had it in for some warranty service two years ago and pointed out the loose brace the dealer totally removed that brace saying it was unnecessary. So far, two years and about 7,000 miles of towing, it seems just fine.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Use some silicone seal on the screws when tightening down and they will stay put. They can also easily be removed if necessary.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker
"The bracing is the same on my 2010 CT29RLX. The screws into the frame are tight but aren't in all the way.I don't think they used self drilling screws just metal screws and put the in as far as they would go. All the bracing is tight."

You've got it exactly what I was trying to say, although I don't quite know what you mean by "All the bracing is tight".

The screws, while only in a couple of threads on the frameare tight, there is about 1/2 inch from the screw head to the brace. This would allow movement of the "panel".

I really don't know if this is a design or just the great "quality control" used my the manufacturer.

If that is the case, remove them, put some washers on to take up the slack and reinstall them. Better they didn't overdrive the screws and strip the threads.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

" When I had it in for some warranty service two years ago and pointed out the loose brace the dealer totally removed that brace saying it was unnecessary."

The whole deal does seem like an afterthought.

"If that is the case, remove them, put some washers on to take up the slack and reinstall them. Better they didn't overdrive the screws and strip the threads."

Like your idea but I think instead of washers, I'll look for some type of rubber bushing.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I have a couple on my 2012 CF305SKP that are not screwed to the "I" frame.They are screwed to the skirting the other end is loose, no screws no holes in the beam. I'm sure it was just overlooked at the factory. One thing on my list when I take it in fora few minor things.

Flyone
Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

You know I am not certain that this is not done because of the design. It may be if these are tight the vibrations from going down the road could cause a panel to crack and break the room between the head of the screw and the framewill give the unit flex with out putting a strain on the brace or the panel. Just a thought
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

fhenn,

That thought had run thru my head when I first saw them. Without that brace, there would be a lot of flex on the panel causing stress and weakness up towardwhere the molding is screwed on.

Wouldn't it be neat if we could find someone who actually knew!!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

More than likely the factory could tell us. It that is the case they need to post it here so no inverted damage can be done

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

From the horse's mouth:

"Good Morning Thomas:
In regards to your email about the screws for the brace to the frame, I talk
to the service tech here and he said that the reason why they do not tighten
the screw down is so it dose not snap off. I the brace is fine he did state
that if you would like to try and tighten it becareful not to brake the
screw head off. If there is anything else I can help you with please feel
free to contact me here at Customer Service by phone or email.
Thank you and have a great day!!

Angela Kniffen
CrossRoads RV Customer Service
akniffen@crossroadsrv.com"

Nice to get an answer from a company!