Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Slide out switch question?

So my 5er has two slides. But this is the first I’ve ever owned that when the big slide is in you can’t access the bedroom or bathroom. This past week we had a situation that we hadn’t had before with this 5er. While at the beach we had 42 MPH winds come up with the edge of Hurricane Michael. The wind was blowing directly on the big slide and was pushing in the top of the slide with the bigger gust. Now in the past with our other 5ers we would just pull the slides in and go to bed. However, since we couldn’t pull the slide in and still access the bedroom and bathroom we ended up sitting at the dining room table for three hours to keep the wind from pushing in the top of the slide. I will add that if we pull the big slide in it also blocks off half the couch also; so closing the slide and just hanging out on the couch wouldn’t have worked either. About 2 AM the winds finally died down into the high 20’s and we were able to go to bed and not worry about the slide. So, I want to add another slide switch in the hallway past the slide, so if it ever happens again we can close the slide behind us and stay in the bedroom and still get to the bathroom. Now if for some reason the slide or switch died when we were in the bedroom with the slide closed behind us; I could always get out the exit window if I had to. So, question is; has anyone ever added a second slide switch and how difficult would it be besides fishing the wiring up through the wall. Thoughts?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

So, any of you electrician wizards know how difficult this would be?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 10-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
So, any of you electrician wizards know how difficult this would be?
It would be simple enough. Hook the new switch up in series into the wire of the other switch. Depending on the original switches location to where you want the new one running the new wire may be a challenge but doable
Have you tried only running the slide in part ways when in high winds
Old 10-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Appreciate the reply. If it hadn’t been raining too pulling in the slide most of the way would’ve been an option. I was thinking about hooking up the new switch in series with the other switch but wanted a second opinion. It would probably take 30-35’ of wire. Wonder what size wire I would need to hook them up in series?

Old 10-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Appreciate the reply. If it hadn’t been raining too pulling in the slide most of the way would’ve been an option. I was thinking about hooking up the new switch in series with the other switch but wanted a second opinion. It would probably take 30-35’ of wire. Wonder what size wire I would need to hook them up in series?
18 gauge and up will work for 12v
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
It would be simple enough. Hook the new switch up in series into the wire of the other switch. Depending on the original switches location to where you want the new one running the new wire may be a challenge but doable
Have you tried only running the slide in part ways when in high winds
You would actually need to wire the switches parallel, not in series. In series, they would both need to be closed before power would go to the motor. In parallel, closing either switch would supply power to the motor.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Site Team

X2 on parallel wiring. I just changed out 2 of my slide out switches because one was sticking and they since they are both side by side I just replaced both. My 05 cruiser has the Lippert thru frame slide but I had to upgrade the switch as there is a "old" style that was replaced by a "new" style. The way the wires attach are different and different colors but they came with a conversion - new to old - wiring diagram. And all my wires were 10 gauge. hope this helps.

Happy Fall Camping!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

So correct me if I’m wrong but if I want to hookup another switch in parallel. I would simply attach each wire from first switch pole to pole to second switch. So for example if first switch say had a five pole I would be running five wires from first switch to second switch attaching the same?

Old 10-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
So correct me if I’m wrong but if I want to hookup another switch in parallel. I would simply attach each wire from first switch pole to pole to second switch. So for example if first switch say had a five pole I would be running five wires from first switch to second switch attaching the same?
Actually mine has four wires coming from the switch. So, to hookup parallel I need to match wire for wire to the new switch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23CEEFC6-1837-4DB8-9667-9E0A64A55F2C.jpg (165.5 KB, 9 views)

Old 10-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Site Team

Looks like it should work. The hard part will be snaking the wires.

Happy Fall Camping!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Update !!

Well I ordered the JAS 30 yesterday for my slide situation. A little pricey at $249 but I think it’s the best solution for my problem. See beginning post: So once I get it and have it installed I’ll post on my review.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

My JAS-30 review. See my post http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...led-14536.html

Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

That looks like a good upgrade. Just make darn sure you have a fire exit if you ever close yourself in the bedroom.
donee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donee11 View Post
That looks like a good upgrade. Just make darn sure you have a fire exit if you ever close yourself in the bedroom.
Yes we do.