Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Surge protector?

Hello,
My family and I just brought home our new Zinger from Camping world. We are not new campers, but are new to this TT. We were previously in a small 1980's something Shasta. Great little TT, tough as nails but needed to update. During the PDI, we were told we needed a surge protector. We did not use one with the old TT. We will be connected to power continuously, and city water as well. Any suggestions? I have seen mixed reviews on different products and as well as pricing. Also if anyone has any opinions on a slide out cover as well, that would be great. We got an estimate from the dealer for about 700$, seems a bit high. My husband thinks he could install himself. Thanks, for your input and suggestions.
Sue : )
michaelalbanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

you did not specify if you have 30amp or 50amp service, but I use this for my trailer which has 30amp service.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-30-amp/58464

These newer trailers have alot of sensitive electrical equipment in them and I would rather have the piece of mind that the pedestal is wired correctly and that I am receiving the proper voltage than take a chance on having to replace an expensive part.

As for slide out covers I had this installed. not to expensive and it works well
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/ca...&categoryid=38

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Sorry, yes it is a 30 amp. Thanks for the input. I would feel better knowing that we have our camper protected as well. That one seems to be the most popular. Thanks again for the input.
Sue
Old 04-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

[QUOTE=cw3jason;74834]you did not specify if you have 30amp or 50amp service, but I use this for my trailer which has 30amp service.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-30-amp/58464
I have the same one also. Went years without one till I had a bad pedestal do 1200$ worth of damage.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I personally went with the hard wire version as I know it will not walk off while no one is around the site. BTW Yes, I could remove it if I changed RV's in the future.

Permanent Surge Guard 120V Hard wire 30 Amp 34520

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalbanese View Post
Hello,
My family and I just brought home our new Zinger from Camping world. We are not new campers, but are new to this TT. We were previously in a small 1980's something Shasta. Great little TT, tough as nails but needed to update. During the PDI, we were told we needed a surge protector. We did not use one with the old TT. We will be connected to power continuously, and city water as well. Any suggestions? I have seen mixed reviews on different products and as well as pricing. Also if anyone has any opinions on a slide out cover as well, that would be great. We got an estimate from the dealer for about 700$, seems a bit high. My husband thinks he could install himself. Thanks, for your input and suggestions.
Sue : )
I would suggest you go with the Progressive Industries Surge Protector rather than Progressive Technologies. Confused yet?

They both do the same thing, PTC has a 1 yr warranty and PI has a lifetime warranty. About the same price. Camping World sells PTC

Go to www.progressiveindustries.net to read about them. 24/7 tech support even.

They make a Surge Protector (SSP-30 $89) and also a surge/low voltage/overvoltage protector(EMS-PT30C $310).

On the slideout cover go to camping world and price one. Then call and see if the $39 installation applies at your local store.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEHoffman View Post
I personally went with the hard wire version as I know it will not walk off while no one is around the site. BTW Yes, I could remove it if I changed RV's in the future.

Was it hard to install? or pretty simple setup?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

I went with the hardwired one also.
The install was pretty straight forth after you figure out where to put it.

Here's a link with some good info.
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ht=surge+guard
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I have a power master progressive unit and love it. It can be plugged it at the post or with a kit be wired inside. The part I like about that is that it can be disconnected and bypassed if needed. It cost some $$$ but well worth the fear of over / under voltage and damage to equipment that need a min power to work like the air con. It will also handle a surge. Well worth the peace of mind whatever one you may get.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I would have gone with the Hardwired one as well, but I knew I will be upgrading in the future. DW wants a 5ver. So I went withn the cheaper option for now and Camping World thru in the lock for free.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I use a voltage booster from Frank's electronics. It's a surge protector but also checks for other voltage issues like an open neutral on the pedestal. The advantage this unit has over others on the market is that it is also a 2-stage auto transformer that will automatically adjust to changes in line voltage. If campground voltage varies, this unit will automatically adjust, thus protecting your electronics.

It comes in various amp configurations depending upon your rig. It too, is pricey but is the best on the market in my opinion.

http://www.voltagebooster.com/
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:

I think this one is the one will are leaning towards. Just for clarification, this one will automatically start back up if it is tripped, correct? I ask because our fridge will be on with parishables inside for most of the season. Otherwise everything else will be off while we are not there.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #13
MIK
Weekend Camper

Also went with hard wired and a remote display. My biggest concern against it was that if it blows out it'll be a re-wire to bypass it. It I figured that was less likely than theft.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

We have an external one...did not know hardwired existed at the time.
It has saved our trailer two times for sure (others around us had damage).
Maybe a third.

1st time was a re-occurring power on/off cycle for a couple of hours.
2nd was a lighting strike in our loop.
3rd was brownouts occurring while we were away...other told us power dipped to 108v several time in the campground while we were away.

2014 - 47 Nights - 1445.8 miles.
2013 - 44 Nights -
2154.8 miles.

ZT211RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

A gentleman on another forum had thousands of dollars in damage due to an open neutral on a 50amp system, had 240 volts fry his system, and is in a legal battle with the campground. I had a brownout situation last year that shut down my trailer due to a bad transformer. They are like insurance, don't need them until the poo hits the fan!

TV (Current) Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel
TV (Shopping) Ram 2500 CTD
Trailer (Current) Rockwood Roo 21Bh
Trailer (Shopping) Sunset Trail ST270BH/SF270BH
Choochooman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Gary,
If you have an external and if you want to install it inside the trailer (basement or maybe behind the CB panel) you can use this install kit. I put mine in the basement so that I had the protection but no fear of someone walking off with it. Here is the link http://www.powermasterrv.com/products.html
Old 04-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Hard wired surge protector in ours -
Progressive Industries Model EMS-HW50C
Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hard Wired EMS with Remote Display.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #18
New Camper

I also have the Progressive Industries unit (30A though). Installation was easy. Remove the power brick (fuses/inverter), and there was a ton of room behind it. I put in a pigtail of 10Ga wire so I left the original wire in place in case I remove it. Attached it with double sided tape, drilled a hole in the fascia, and installed the display. The display is really nice, tells you the voltage, frequency and current at any moment. Well worth it for the piece of mind.
laswiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalbanese View Post
I think this one is the one will are leaning towards. Just for clarification, this one will automatically start back up if it is tripped, correct? I ask because our fridge will be on with perishables inside for most of the season. Otherwise everything else will be off while we are not there.

Here is the description from the manufacture. Automatically shuts off the power when detecting incorrectly wired pedestal, power surges, open neutral, low (<102V) and high (>132V) voltage, reverse polarity, and dangerous current on ground wire. Automatically resets on power restoration. Features caution indicator light to indicate cause of power stoppage. 2 minute, 8 second reset delay protects AC compressor. Offers 2450 joules of surge protection. UL Listed.

Now if conditions go bad and stay bad, no.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #20
New Camper

Most of them self reset. I highly recommend the optional display for that one. That's why I went with the Progressive, the included display. Really nice to be able to check the voltage without digging out a volt meter; especially if you don't have one!
laswiz is offline   Reply With Quote