Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Thoughts on extended warranty?

Bought a 7 year warranty for around 3k when we got out unit a month ago. Curious to everyones opinions on handling warranty claims through Camping World. Is it worth it?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Ashevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I've always used Camping World in Statesville NC and have had good service. However I can't speak for other locations. Probably all different I would guess.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I've always used Camping World in Statesville NC and have had good service. However I can't speak for other locations. Probably all different I would guess.
That's where we purchased our fifth wheel from. They were very helpful

Ashevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashevegas View Post
Bought a 7 year warranty for around 3k when we got out unit a month ago. Curious to everyones opinions on handling warranty claims through Camping World. Is it worth it?

We did too. Usually we don't, but just take a look around this site, and see some of the horror stories! I'm comfortable knowing we have it. Also, (knock on wood!), our TT is almost 1 1/2 yr old, and no problems, no warranty work! If we continue to be so lucky that the warranty expires without a claim, I'll be happy also!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Bot a new 2011 crossroads and got 7 yr extended warranty. We have used it many times. On 3 rd a/c and 2 nd fridge and a few other things that where all covered under warranty. Deduct is $100, but still worth it. We got ours through good sam.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

It's a gamble. Generally they come out ahead on them or they would not sell them. But the piece of mind is worth a lot. As rule we never get them on anything and feel we have come out ahead. But I fix everything myself and I am usually not happy with the work anyone else does on my stuff. I could be a little obsessive too.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Would not buy an Rv without one. We bought a 7 year for our '13 and have used it with out a problem at Camping World.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Purchased one through Camping World 2 years ago. Wish I never did. Just was denied and am fighting them for something that should be covered. Read the fine print!!!!!
Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgssrs View Post
It's a gamble. Generally they come out ahead on them or they would not sell them. But the piece of mind is worth a lot. As rule we never get them on anything and feel we have come out ahead. But I fix everything myself and I am usually not happy with the work anyone else does on my stuff. I could be a little obsessive too.
I totally agree! If you don't have the ability to do your own repairs then it's probably a good idea, but by Being fulltimers we can't afford to have our "home" sit on some dealers lot for weeks/months so I have to do my own repairs.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
Site Team

The ability to do you own repairs is great, but sometimes the part prices are very expensive. The warranty will cover both parts and labor, with a minimum deductible. You have to take each occurrence and price it out either to do it yourself or have the warranty take care of it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

It is a personal choice. If you feel comfortable you made the right choice, then you probably did.

As others have said, if you aren't handy, it is probably worth the money. For me, if I have to purchase a new refrigerator after manufacturer and component warranty run out for $3,000, I can pull it out and put in the new one myself. My heater came with a 2 year warranty. It died a week before the the warranty ran out. I pulled it out of the RV, took it to a smaller dealer and he trouble shot it, replaced a PC board and it was completely covered. Brought it back and had it back in the camper and running in under 4 hours. Cost me time and gas driving to the dealer.

I felt it was an up-sell. Also a if you can't afford to pay cash, it adds to your loan. If you are putting minimum down and financing 20 years, you are already upside down on your RV. These things depreciate quickly. I am happy to not owe anything on a trade when I go looking for a new unit. I try to keep them 5 years unless there is a catastrophic failure or leak. If that were the case, I'd rather trade it and take the hit, would be about the same as the cost of the warranty, at least in my case.

As for Camping World, I've seen good and bad reviews on each location. The one closest to me in Chichester, NH has a terrible reputation. I even told the salesman I was only buying there because I wanted a Cruiser and they were the only local dealer. I told him I hope you prove me wrong, but based on reviews, I don't feel great about buying here because of your reputation.

Sure enough, they ended up providing crappy service as most of the reviews state. My sales man was great and tried hard to get issues resolved. Thankfully they were small problems which didn't keep me from using my unit. I think every dealer has their horror stories.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Good comments Sean,

All said, it goes back to the value of an extended warranty based on 1)the service from your dealership and 2)the price at the time you buy the trailer.

I negotiate the warranty into the purchase of the trailer and you do not have to buy the warranty through the dealership. I shopped different plans online and settled on the one the dealership was selling. I have xtra ride on my last two trailers that were both 33 and 36 foot tandem and paid less than 1500 each for the warranties. I had repairs that exceeded the price by 150% on my last trailer so it was a no brainer on the current one in my driveway. Also the dealerships we worked with both local and when traveling were really good with working with Xtra Ride.

Not saying which warranty is better/cheaper, just my experience and sharing. I agree 3K is hard to getting your moneys worth, even on 7 year warranty.

Sounds like some of the Camping Worlds are good, some bad. but your right on the warranties, They'll charge you whatever they think they can get out of you at the time of purchase.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote