Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2011 Cruiser 5th wheel and am very disapointed in the new antenna system was woundering if any one else has problems wit reception
nova52356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

What is the new system. I assume it is different than the Winegard batwing antennae.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. You might get some ideas from this thread.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If it is the Winegard batwing type I added a Wingman to ours and it has made a big difference in our off air reception. Quick and easy install. Line of site is the biggest problem with the stock antenna.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-wingman/44021
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We have a 2011 Kingston with the new type of antenna. For those that do not know, Crossroads now has a fixed antenna mounted on the roof that does not move. You do not raise or lower it or rotate it. It is just there and you just connect your Television.

Good:

1. Not have to worry about raising/lowering

2. Nothing movable - no mechanical problems

3. Do not have to rotate

4. One less opportunity for roof leak

Bad:

1. Not able to rotate if better reception was available. There are still some analog stations and they require antenna rotation for best signal.

We are currently on day 6 of our vacation and generally speaking I like the new antenna. There was one day that we had fringe reception and one digital station would go in and out unlike an analog station that would just get more/less fuzzy. I do not know if a standard rotating antenna would have made a difference or not.

If I had to choose I think I would still choose the new antenna (non-movable) that we have.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova52356
I have a 2011 Cruiser 5th wheel and am very disapointed in the new antenna system was woundering if any one else has problems wit reception
Does the new antenna system have a booster if so was it on?
Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopeguy

Bad:

1. Not able to rotate if better reception was available. There are still some analog stations and they require antenna rotation for best signal.

If the antenna looks like a pancake then it's not intended to be rotated because what you have is an infinite 360 degree dipole.It's an OK antenna but requires an amplifier to be any good. It should receive all the digital channels slightly better than thebatwing because it's omni-directional.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I believe looking at the owners manuel (yes I paged though) it is a Jensen with a built in amplifier but the switch is almost impossable to read (cable or air).Even the radio goes to the new antena and the amp helps there too. Edited by: we-canoe

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopeguy

Bad:

If the antenna looks like a pancake then it's not intended to be rotated because what you have is an infinite 360 degree dipole.It's an OK antenna but requires an amplifier to be any good. It should receive all the digital channels slightly better than thebatwing because it's omni-directional.
Sorry I can not accept an omni-directional giving better reception than a directional that is aimed properly. I am currently camped near some large metal buildings. With an omni-directional you will have multi-path problems. With digital you will have a strong signal but drop outs when the receiver is confused which signal to process. With the old analog you just got two or more pictures overlapping each other. With the directional it will ignore the multi-path if aimed properly.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops

Sorry I can not accept an omni-directional giving better reception than a directional that is aimed properly. I am currently camped near some large metal buildings. With an omni-directional you will have multi-path problems. With digital you will have a strong signal but drop outs when the receiver is confused which signal to process. With the old analog you just got two or more pictures overlapping each other. With the directional it will ignore the multi-path if aimed properly.

Like I mentioned, it's an ok antenna. It is actually a omni-directional single element dipole and can't be compared to a multi-element antenna which focuses the view of the signal and has gain because of the focusing.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

The new system is a Jenson the does not need to be cranked up
Old 06-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

yes there is a booster on it and it also affects the radio stations
Old 06-21-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Just ordered a Wingman. I'll let you know if it makes any difference on mine as soon as it arrives. Right now our 5er is at our house on an island so wireless reception is not great, it should be a good test for it.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

My Wingman arrived and when I tried to install it there weren't any holes to pop it into. I took it to CW today and the guy told me I needed to remove the little rubber feet from the batwing and then install it .

I removed the rubber feet and it fit perfectly! I scanned channels before I put it on and after, wow what a difference. Before I installed it I was able to receive seven channels after I installed it I got 15! I'm a happy guy. We live on an island about 40 - 50 miles from any television station. The air pictures were very good and the DTV was great.

Your experience may vary but I'm keeping mine.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

installed our Wingman over a year ago, right after they came out. We have had the same major improvement on our reception.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote