Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I'm wanting to be able to connect the coax from my satellite dish to the cable connector on the side of my 2007 28rl Sunset Trail trailer. I took the face plate down from the ceiling and disconnected the "cable" coax from the face plate/amplifier. I then connected the cable from the satellite to the outside cable connection and my tv directly to the cable coax (unconnected from the face plate) - nothing. I then hooked up a dvd to the outside connection to see if it had anything to do with the satellite - still nothing.

The only thing I can think of is a bad cable from the outside connection going up to the face plate, does anyone else have any ideas on how I should trouble shoot this problem, I'd really prefer not to drill a hole in the side of the trailer to run another coax cable. Thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Are you still going through the ant amplifier box? You should not be. My 2007 Cruiser already has a Sat cable going from outside to the Entertainment center area. If you don't have a Sat cable connection then the cable you are using may be RG59 for TV but not Sat. Sat cable is RG6.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

No, I am not going through the amp. The cable is RG59, your advice leads me to believe I need to run a RG6 line, not what I was hoping but at least I know what I need to do. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

My satellite runs through my existant RG59 cable unhooked from the amplifier with no problems. When you think about it there are millions of homes in North America that have hooked their satellite dishes into existant home coaxes that previously were used for cable and over the air channels.
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Glad to help. You could just run a cable out one of the slide seals. It would be quick and work fine if you have a slide near the TV.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

RG59 should work. I'd look for some corrosion in the line somewhere. I've had that happen to me twice.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

My 2-cents:

Check cables and make sure you have correct one. I have out DTV sat hooked to outside cable and it works fine. I installed a male/male connector in faceplate and hooked CATV cable to it. My problem was misunderstanding of cables. Our Zinger has a black and a white cable. The WHITE cable was from the outside jack (I mis-assumed the black one was).

You may simply need to flip cables and it will work. I have attenna cable (black one) hooked to Amplifier.

Hope this helps...sometimes it is the simplest problem!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Turns out the orginal cable that ran from the outside hookup to the faceplate inside the trailer had corroded to the point nothing would go through it. Since I could not figure anyway to get a replacement cable throught the wall and into the ceiling where the faceplate was,I installed another cablehookup through the trailer wall right to where I needed it. I did the modification to the wallplate that you can find on the web so that the outside feed doesn't go through the amp, and that you can hook up a cable to the tv feed for the bedroom. Everything works great, I'm happy and appreciative of all the help.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

;od job Wingchop...way to handle it. Now enjoy

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote