Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 68
Yearly maintenance?

Hi everyone. My wife and I are new to campers, and are looking to purchase a travel trailer in the next month or so. I'm wondering about routine maintenance and servicing. I'm fairly handy, and do most of the work on our cars myself, but I'm also not against taking it in to a dealer if need be. What kinds of things can I expect to be doing for maintenance and upkeep?
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member
 
CampMacKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 125
I wash ours twice a year, this gives you a chance to look over all the caulking and sealer, and checking for loose or broken screws. Re-pack bearings every spring and keep an eye on the tire pressure & lug nut torque routinely. Also in the spring, I flush out the fresh water system. A few times through the season I will also drain and flush out the hot water tank.
Winterize when it gets cold.
Other than that I try to enjoy it.
(From experience, dealers are slow at fixing even the smallest things)
__________________
🇨🇦 Scott & Janie 🇨🇦
2004 Dodge RAM 2500 CTD (slightly tweaked)
2011 Cruiser 31RK
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: California
Posts: 333
Do you have an on-board generator? If so, depending on the amount you use it, change the oil & air filter at least once a year or twice if you run it a lot. Change the plugs every other year. Depending on your model, they're pretty easy to work on.
__________________
Dave Edmiston
2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead toy hauler
2014 Dodge RAM 3500 4x4 Diesel Dually
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampMacKay View Post
I wash ours twice a year, this gives you a chance to look over all the caulking and sealer, and checking for loose or broken screws. Re-pack bearings every spring and keep an eye on the tire pressure & lug nut torque routinely. Also in the spring, I flush out the fresh water system. A few times through the season I will also drain and flush out the hot water tank.
Winterize when it gets cold.
Other than that I try to enjoy it.
(From experience, dealers are slow at fixing even the smallest things)
That's about what I was thinking. Do the hubs have to be pulled to lube the bearings, or is there a grease zerk on the hubs?
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Do you have an on-board generator? If so, depending on the amount you use it, change the oil & air filter at least once a year or twice if you run it a lot. Change the plugs every other year. Depending on your model, they're pretty easy to work on.
No, the model we're looking at doesn't. We're planning on picking up a 7k-8k watt portable to stow in the bed of the tow vehicle when traveling, so we can use it as an emergency household generator when we're not traveling.
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: California
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp722 View Post
No, the model we're looking at doesn't. We're planning on picking up a 7k-8k watt portable to stow in the bed of the tow vehicle when traveling, so we can use it as an emergency household generator when we're not traveling.
Wow. That's a heck of a "portable".

Is it a contractor generator or a quiet camping gen?
__________________
Dave Edmiston
2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead toy hauler
2014 Dodge RAM 3500 4x4 Diesel Dually
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Wow. That's a heck of a "portable".

Is it a contractor generator or a quiet camping gen?


I didn't think about that. It's a regular generator. I think it was rated at 68db. How loud are camping-proposed generators? Don't want to irritate any neighbors.
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Weekend Camper
 
Danny Pyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 46
Better off getting a inverter generator. Honda is probably the quietest but they are pricey. I have two 2000watt Hondas with the parallel cord.
Danny Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 7,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Pyle View Post
Better off getting a inverter generator. Honda is probably the quietest but they are pricey. I have two 2000watt Hondas with the parallel cord.

X2
Same here.
__________________
2008 Cruiser CF26RK
2013 Ford Eco-Boost
Heavy duty payload - Max tow
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Pyle View Post
Better off getting a inverter generator. Honda is probably the quietest but they are pricey. I have two 2000watt Hondas with the parallel cord.
What's the difference between an inverter generator vs a standard generator as it applies to travel trailers? Other than wiring it to the battery instead of plugging in the trailer power plug to the generator, I mean... Are they quieter or something?
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.