Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
New Camper

2012 Rushmore, Paint/gelcoat?

We bought a 38' Rushmore NEW in November of 2015. The dealer delivered it in the spring, the coach had decent shine all around and we had it detailed that summer. The next season it's shine was kinda ok, now after the third summer it looks terrible almost no shine. I wheeled some of it out with compound and within a month it was dull again. It does set outside all year in southern Michigan. Help!!
1948b0at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948b0at View Post
We bought a 38' Rushmore NEW in November of 2015. The dealer delivered it in the spring, the coach had decent shine all around and we had it detailed that summer. The next season it's shine was kinda ok, now after the third summer it looks terrible almost no shine. I wheeled some of it out with compound and within a month it was dull again. It does set outside all year in southern Michigan. Help!!
I have used Royal blue wax on my 2013 rushmore and it looks like new on the outside and it sets outside in ohio
Old 05-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Sounds like your coating was defective from the factory.

My 2015 Springfield gets a professional wash and wax once a year, and I wash and wax the front cap once or twice a year depending on bug build-up. It sits outside in the Seattle area about 8 or 9 months of the year and outside in the southwest for the remainder of the year.

It still has a like-new shine.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

My Rushmore will be the prettiest and most shiny camper in the junk yard as I just waxed it before finding all the water damage.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We have a 2012 Rushmore 38CK. Be extremely careful with your roof. From what I know, they only used that particular TPO material 2 years. Most anything will melt it. I sprayed my wiper seals with a UV protection, and it melted the slide roofs everywhere the seals touched. I recently left a fiberglass extension ladder leaning against the roof, and it ate holes where it touched. Same with cleaning AC coils. Junk!

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I use a marine/rv gelcoat wax about once per year on mine.....blue bottle....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
New Camper

I have a 2013 Rushmore 5th wheel that I bought in 2015 and the coat on mine looks faded and what not but the inside looks ����
Now I’ve also tried couple different waxes but no good . So when you get help pass it on please.

David

NE OH
priscilla101110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

This is a very common problem on many brands. It is from the gelcoat fading. The caps are not painted, just gelcoat. You can buff it out with a power buffer, but it won't last very long. The only real cure is to have it painted. A quality automotive base/clear coat finish should last a very long time. Shop around as the price will vary a lot. I have had 2 trailers done over the years.