Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello Everyone,

I'm a first time crossroads RV owner. Just purchased a 271BH. I'm picking it up thursday.Just wanna see if anyone has any towing advice. I will be towing it with a 2010 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 (Hemi) with the 3.55 gears. I have the sway control set up and the WD bars on my hitch. Does anyone think I should have a problem towing this. Dodge said with my gearing I can pull up to 8,500 IBS.
THanks everyone.
mrmopar02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Jamie, I'm not real up on your setup, but from what I looked at I would think you should be within limits. I would advise you to make sure you never run with your tires under inflated on the TV. There will be more here later to add comments that are better informed with TT then I am.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Jamie, I'm not real up on your setup, but from what I looked at I would think you should be within limits. I would advise you to make sure you never run with your tires under inflated on the TV. There will be more here later to add comments that are better informed with TT then I am.
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new camper!!!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. you should be good. Don't over load it . lol
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Keep it loaded as light as you can. WHile your towing capacity may be there, your payload is gonna be light for the tongue weight. I have the same trailer in the zinger. My weights are the same. Loaded we are at about 7000 lbs. We have found if this trailer is not loaded very heavy on the tongue, there is a lot of sway. Our calculations have our tongue weight at close to 1000 lbs (15% of loaded weight). Your tongue weight should be somewhere between 13-15% of your loaded weight. Have you weighed your truck loaded and ready to camp w/ a full tank of fuel? If so subtract that number from your vehicles GVWR to get your available payload. Also subtract your trucks weight from the GCWR to get your adjusted towing capacity. You may find yourself over your limits. At this point you have the TT so you can try driving it and seeing you you do. If you are comfortable driving it you have your answer (just steer clear of being weighed for legal reasons). If you aren't comfortable driving then you have a different answer. Ultimately it is up to you how comfortable you are towing your set up. I ended up trading in my 1/2 ton SUV w/ a 9100 lb towing capacity to get a 3/4 ton truck because of the white knuckle ride but I also had a shorter wheel base than you do and that can make a huge difference in handling. Whatever you do, go weigh your truck by itself, and your whole rigged hooked up ready to camp so you know your actual weights and where you stand. The scales can also be a very useful tool in dialing in your WDH properly. Best of luck to you and may your new TT bring you many happy camping trips.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
New Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to camper271

I havethe same trailerpurchased in March and have a similar tow vehicle. I tow it with a 2001 F150 V8 5.4L and have a WD hitch. When on the road it tows very nice and have no issues, even better than our old trailer which was lighter. I usually try to keep the weight low by not filling the water tank, but we still always have firewood, boards for leveling, bikes, 4 passengers and a dog.
camper271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Hello Mrmopar02,

Congrats on the new unit. You will be happy !

I have the z-1 301 BH and originally towed with a 2008 Silverado. You should be fine. My trailer was 500 lbs. heavier and the truck did just fine. However, pack light if you can.

I personally like to use my water from home, haul firewood, bicycles, friends for the kids, etc. With all that in mind, we upgraded to a 3/4 ton, but probably didn't have to. I just really like to have way more truck than trailer weight. ( probably a little bit to cautious, but that is a good flaw - I think? )

Just go run up and down the highway once and you will make your own assessment. Lean toward safety and you will be fine.

Safe travels.

Schabtod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
New Camper

Thanks everyone for all the great responses. It helped alot going out this weekend.It'smy firsttt over 20' ft. for me and with a slide so excited to have all the room. Again thanks everyone happy to be a member of the crossroads family already.
mrmopar02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have the 2013 zinger 32QB, we pull it with a 2010 Dodge ram 1500 it pulls the trailer with no problem, i did add air bags to keep the truck from sitting down so low in the rear. makes a big diff when pulling the trailer.

D Haire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I also added air bags to my 2012 ram 1500 quad cab. Does make a huge difference. I tow a 25 rb sunset trail.
Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote