Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Tundra review- mountain driving near the weight limits

No question here, just thought I'd give a performance update on towing near the wight limits using a Tundra.

(May, 2019) While making the decision on what type RV to purchase and what to tow it with I did a lot of research. Started out with a 2016 Tacoma but quickly traded it for a 2016 Tundra after my wife decided she wanted to purchase the Sunset Trail 33CK (see specs below). Fully loaded, this RV is near the limits of my Tundra, CrewMax with towing package. I'm happy with the performance of the Tundra, though, after 2000 miles in the mountains I've concluded I need to add air bags to the rear to get about 2" of lift. The weight distribution hitch still lets it sag about 1.5". I installed two sway bars and find that really helps with vehicles pass me at highway speeds.

My primary concern is the transmission temperature rather than speed. I purchased a ScanGauge II which allows me to monitor numerous engine functions including transmission temperature. The tool plugs into the OBDII port below the steering wheel.

So, how did we do in the mountains of Colorado.
I've crossed the Continental Divide 2x so far. First from Denver headed west on I-70. I tried to keep the trans temp below 210 deg F. It peaked at 216. I averaged 40 mph. Mostly kept the transmission in 3rd and 4th gear. Other than speed, there were no problems (other than air/fuel error code right at the Eisenhower Tunnel, 11,158').

2nd crossing was headed east from Cortez, CO to South Fork, CO on US 160. Altitude peaked at Wolf Creek pass at 10,856'. US 160 has a considerably steeper grade than I-70. I primarily drove in 3rd, 4th with occasional shift to 2nd gear. Average 35 mph. Max trans temp was 213 F max, but mostly at 208 F.

While crossing via the Eisenhower tunnel, the truck gave a check engine code. I don't recall the specific code, but it translated to air/fuel mixture was out of whack. Not surprising at 11,158'.

Since speed is not a concern, I am satisfied the Tundra is an adequate vehicle for this 38', 8300 pound beast. If you're looking for more info on Tundra check out the "Ike Gauntlet" YouTube videos.

Most scenic drive - by far the most scenic drive I've ever traveled is Highway 141 from Grand Junction, Co to Dove Creek (Dolores River), Co (while driving to Cortez). After talking to others I chose this route as it was considered a much less "white knuckle" route than going through Telluride. Glad we made the choice it's the most beautiful drive I ever made. The Tundra did great with mostly 4th gear (3800rpm) and speeds of about 50 mph.

Hanging Flume Overlook - If you make the Dolores River drive, stop at the "hanging flume overlook". Gold miners in the late 1800's build a suspended river 75' above the Dolores River that attached to the canyon walls. The flume carried 2 million gallons of water per day and was over 12 miles long. It brought the water up to the level of the miners so they didn't have to carry tons of ore down to the river to operate their mining operation.

I spent several months reading reviews on vehicle performance while towing in the mountains. There are hundreds of reviews about towing, but most of them refer to towing weights of less than 3500 lbs. I found very little info about towing near the limits of a half ton vehicle. My Tundra max tow is 9000 lbs, I'm at 8300. Since speed is not an issue I'm very satisfied with the Tundra as a tow vehicle.

Happy travels.

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Nice write up. I’d be interested in your trucks GVWR, GCVWR and it’s payload numbers. Towing capacity is one thing but our 1500’s run out of payload. My Silverado has a 9500 lb tow capacity and payload of 1531 lbs. Adding accessories reduced actual payload to 1333 lbs as per scaled weight. With a hitch weight of 858 lbs I can only add 475 lbs for anything or anybody in the truck. I can’t go to max payload in camper as it will exceed GCVWR. Also, have you done the wheel well measurement comparison to make sure WD bars are actually working properly? I hope you have the 800-1200lb bars? I checked my numbers at the scale before I headed to Yellowstone and the Black Hills six weeks ago.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Nice review of your rig. Sounds like you had a nice trip. I usually try to keep on the 2 lane roads as I have all day to get there. The name of the game is to relax and enjoy the journey.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Nice write up.
It took a little searching, but I finally came up with the tread from another member who is towing with a Nissan diesel. He has been extremely happy also. I think it's about the same size truck as your Tundra and
I thought maybe you would enjoy reading his experiences.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...-xd-11522.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I also tow with a Tundra

I also Tow with a 2013 Tundra with small V8. I have a 36' Crossroads trailer. I did put air bags on, but not sure I really need them. Speed is about the only complaint I have. I keep it at 65 MPH max and when needed down shift. Take my time and I have had no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
No question here, just thought I'd give a performance update on towing near the wight limits using a Tundra.

(May, 2019) While making the decision on what type RV to purchase and what to tow it with I did a lot of research. Started out with a 2016 Tacoma but quickly traded it for a 2016 Tundra after my wife decided she wanted to purchase the Sunset Trail 33CK (see specs below). Fully loaded, this RV is near the limits of my Tundra, CrewMax with towing package. I'm happy with the performance of the Tundra, though, after 2000 miles in the mountains I've concluded I need to add air bags to the rear to get about 2" of lift. The weight distribution hitch still lets it sag about 1.5". I installed two sway bars and find that really helps with vehicles pass me at highway speeds.

My primary concern is the transmission temperature rather than speed. I purchased a ScanGauge II which allows me to monitor numerous engine functions including transmission temperature. The tool plugs into the OBDII port below the steering wheel.

So, how did we do in the mountains of Colorado.
I've crossed the Continental Divide 2x so far. First from Denver headed west on I-70. I tried to keep the trans temp below 210 deg F. It peaked at 216. I averaged 40 mph. Mostly kept the transmission in 3rd and 4th gear. Other than speed, there were no problems (other than air/fuel error code right at the Eisenhower Tunnel, 11,158').

2nd crossing was headed east from Cortez, CO to South Fork, CO on US 160. Altitude peaked at Wolf Creek pass at 10,856'. US 160 has a considerably steeper grade than I-70. I primarily drove in 3rd, 4th with occasional shift to 2nd gear. Average 35 mph. Max trans temp was 213 F max, but mostly at 208 F.

While crossing via the Eisenhower tunnel, the truck gave a check engine code. I don't recall the specific code, but it translated to air/fuel mixture was out of whack. Not surprising at 11,158'.

Since speed is not a concern, I am satisfied the Tundra is an adequate vehicle for this 38', 8300 pound beast. If you're looking for more info on Tundra check out the "Ike Gauntlet" YouTube videos.

Most scenic drive - by far the most scenic drive I've ever traveled is Highway 141 from Grand Junction, Co to Dove Creek (Dolores River), Co (while driving to Cortez). After talking to others I chose this route as it was considered a much less "white knuckle" route than going through Telluride. Glad we made the choice it's the most beautiful drive I ever made. The Tundra did great with mostly 4th gear (3800rpm) and speeds of about 50 mph.

Hanging Flume Overlook - If you make the Dolores River drive, stop at the "hanging flume overlook". Gold miners in the late 1800's build a suspended river 75' above the Dolores River that attached to the canyon walls. The flume carried 2 million gallons of water per day and was over 12 miles long. It brought the water up to the level of the miners so they didn't have to carry tons of ore down to the river to operate their mining operation.

I spent several months reading reviews on vehicle performance while towing in the mountains. There are hundreds of reviews about towing, but most of them refer to towing weights of less than 3500 lbs. I found very little info about towing near the limits of a half ton vehicle. My Tundra max tow is 9000 lbs, I'm at 8300. Since speed is not an issue I'm very satisfied with the Tundra as a tow vehicle.

Happy travels.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

weights

I agree, nice write up but I too would like to see GVWR on both vehicles and payload plus weights from a commercial scale. I really wanted to go with a Tundra but being very careful and doing all my homework it just didn't add up. The payload numbers just wouldn't be enough. Adding air bags will not add to payload. I don't like being at the max "all the time". The TV will not hold up over the long haul. High transmission temperature. The rear end sagging isn't as important IF you get your front end back to being close before hook up with WD system.
I also found your details about which gears you ran in pretty informative.
2017 Ram 2500
6.4 L Hemi
BLtravels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mountains, towing, tundra